Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do PUGs still exist?

I used to raid with my guild back in BC and Wrath before I had to start focusing more on family matters. After not being able to devote three times a week to raiding I decided to dabble with PUG raids in Cataclysm. This was before the LFR tool came out and at this point my realm has pretty much died. Back in Wrath there were 90+ guilds who were on current patch progress tracks and now there are only 10 guilds on my realm that are even raiding period. I prefer the difficultly that comes with regular and heroic raids but I just can't consistently devote that much time each week.

I am interested to switching over to a higher population horde realm such as Area 52 or Stormrage so my question is basically going out to people on those realms. Do people still organize PUG raids on higher population realms or do people just use the LFR tool and leave the regular and heroic raids to guilds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like it on dead realms.

Ppl on Grim Batol do PUG (ally). I see spam about it everytime im ingame so I guess there is a few going.
    My guild also picked up randoms for raids before we had a core, seen others do the same.

High pop realm - we have a lot of pugs but most of them are not doing ToT.

I think pugs exist on the top servers, but unless you have gear and achievements (to show you aren't wasting the others time) you may have a hard time getting in.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on a medium pop realm. I see PuGs advertised a lot in /trade, although mostly for Tier14 content that one can do through OpenRaid just as easily.

I'm honestly not sure ToT is PuGable yet, unless the entire team consists of well-geared raiders who all happen to no longer be raiding current content and/or alts of primary raiders who know the fights really well. But random guys from /trade wearing LFR gear who have only done the fights on LFR are probably not going to get past Horridon, at least not until LFR has been out long enough that everyone is fully decked out in 502+. That said, I do sometimes see guilds looking in /trade for when they have an absence or too. While not really a PuG in that instance, it's a good chance to sub into a run with good odds for success.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I think pugs exist on the top servers, but unless you have gear and achievements (to show you aren't wasting the others time) you may have a hard time getting in.
    This + u usually have to have around 500 itlv for 5.0 content cause when people look for those last 1-2 spots they have so many people to choose from so that why not make ridiculus claims. And this is they usually find such >500 itlv people cause there are many peopel who miss this last 1-2 upgrades from last tier to help them with current progress (like im runing first 2 bosses in MV cause im still runing with 476 healing offhand)

First boss in ToT is defo puggable - rest sadly not fpr most pugs cause people need to know what they are doin.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    This + u usually have to have around 500 itlv for 5.0 content cause when people look for those last 1-2 spots they have so many people to choose from so that why not make ridiculus claims. And this is they usually find such >500 itlv people cause there are many peopel who miss this last 1-2 upgrades from last tier to help them with current progress (like im runing first 2 bosses in MV cause im still runing with 476 healing offhand)

First boss in ToT is defo puggable - rest sadly not fpr most pugs cause people need to know what they are doin.
    Ilvl requirements should get easier and easier now that everyone and their mom can get 522 valor items, as well as pug Jin'Rokh, kill Oondasta, and soon Nalak.

We raid 10 man, currently 11/12 normal and pugged quite a bit until we found a few more stable alt raiders and we prefer people who can execute the fights correctly over uber geared people. Our progression kill of primordious 2 weeks back had a ~476 geared warrior in it.

Even on high population realms, ever since pretty much the start of MoP, it's been difficult to even pug out one or two dps spots in a raid even if it's an established guild run just looking for some fill-ins.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it varies a lot across servers and at different times of day. I play on Stormrage (high pop PvE server), and there are always groups looking to fill a spot or two for SOMETHING pretty much any time of day. My biggest complaint about Stormrage's pug culture is that since the server overall has very good progression, the pug raids tend to be fairly selective (490+ilvl for HoF/ToES pre-5.2, 500+ with experience for ToT).

So if you're a geared, experienced raider it's pretty easy to get a group. If you aren't, then you get stuck in that cycle where you need to raid to get gear and experience, but you need gear and experience in order to raid.

I think pretty much any of the high-pop servers will probably be able to give you what you want... just create a few lvl 1 alts, park them in a capital city, and monitor trade chat during your peak playtimes. That's probably the best way to get a feel for what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
    Ilvl requirements should get easier and easier now that everyone and their mom can get 522 valor items, as well as pug Jin'Rokh
    Did you just say that people will be able to meet PUG item level requirements by getting items from a PUG?

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Did you just say that people will be able to meet PUG item level requirements by getting items from a PUG?
    You can choose to ignore the rest of my comment as well, but yes, pugging Jin'Rokh is fairly easy, and I was saying getting gear from something easily puggable, makes it possible to hit whatever gear "threshold" a raid is looking to pug for other parts of the instance.

For those of us on dead(ish) servers, Openraid is pretty much your best and only option. Personally I think server mergers need to happen.

Most pugs seem to fall over at Horridon. I've pugged 6/12 on my 495 Monk Tank and it was a painful experience...So yeah pugs do exist on good realms, but they aren't much fun.

Sure do, Try Open Raid.

It's a cross-realm raiding website. People advertise for 10 mans mostly but god damn if it's not the best way to do 10 mans. I got my tranquil master and empress kill from it

on Defias brotherhood RPPVP they do
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

I see people pugging for one or two slots for ToT, but rarely do I see full pug raids for current content. And for the previous tier, as they said above I've heard about good luck going through Open Raid.

Im on a farily large, alliance dominant server (alliance-US) and I see pug T15 quote often. Its usually for 1-3 or 4. Theres also some guilds that need their spot filled in for the night because one player couldnt come, so if you're lucky you may get to kill/attempt the later bosses as well. We took a mage in our server (trade chat pug) for 7-9 when our ele shammy couldn't show up.

Last night (or maybe it was 2 nights ago) there was a group specifically for 'undergeared' group that will only shoot for the first boss Jin'rokh for a chance at some loot.

I also see a LOT of T14 pugs now as well, some even doing the easier heroic bosses.

But we've always been a pretty 'pug-ful' server.
    Not sure how many of them are full pug groups (where RL gets all 9 other ppl from trade) but I suspect that after a few weeks of pugging, even pug raids have 'regulars'
    Last edited by BLSTMASTER; 2013-04-01 at 05:58 PM.

On my server (Kazzak EU, Horde side) We have loads of PuGs for both T14 and T15.

On my low pop Horde side there are occasional T14 pugs. Nothing much about T15 yet.