Is Syndra any good?

I'm pretty new to the game but I've read that Syndra is decent.
    I don't mind learning a more difficult champ, I'm usually pretty good at games
    So I don't imagine I'll be too bad at picking her up and perfecting.

I don't want to spend forever getting good at the cheaper champs and then
    them be horrible playing against better players.

So is Syndra worth picking up and getting good at? Can she hold her own
    against better players if played well?

Cheers.

Deleted
    First of all, we usually use the "What champion should I buy?"-Thread for asking questions regarding champion purchases.

That being said, Syndra is a good champion, but you seem to have the misconception that cheaper champions are "weaker" than the expensive ones. That is not the case and the price is (mostly) based on their release date (at least the transition from 6300 IP to 4800).

If you really like what you've seen from Syndra, you can consider picking her up, but if you are just looking for a good champion to "master" (even though perfecting is kinda the wrong word because no one plays any champion perfect), you might want to consider a cheaper champion.

As Syndra is an AP Carry, other options could be Kayle, Ryze or Twisted Fate, all of which are more common in competetive play than Syndra (which does not mean that she's worse, but mostly that she is more of a niche champion that can be countered easier than others). The three aforementioned champions are all cheap, so you can buy runes as soon as you hit level 20 (as well as maybe an additional rune page, so you could have an AP, an AD/Bruiser/Jungle and a Support Page. Later you can buy more pages to specify them even further). You could also buy more champions so that you don't limit yourself to a specific role. Syndra (at higher levels) is played pretty much exclusively in mid lane. Kayle could be played in the jungle, in top lane or as support as well. So at least one champion to fit the role of an AD Carry would be needed. Getting a couple of champions per role also allows you to try and "counter" enemy lanes (which only comes into play in draft mode or ranked games) as well as trying to create synergies between champions in your team.

Thank you so much for your well thought out reply.
    I didn't realise I needed to post in the thread you mentioned, I'll be sure to do so from now on.

I loved the look of the play style of Syndra, and heard she was decent.
    Money isn't a bother here since it's a free to play game, I dont mind sinking a few dollars in to it to buy some champions/ect.
    Nor am I attached to playing a mage type champion either.

I'm just looking for a solid champion that will last me in to playing against decent people so I can get a grounding in the game
    and learn as I go along, instead of buying 1000 mediocre champions.

There are pros that use syndra to this day (Bjergsen from Copenhagen Wolves is a HUGE advocate of her) so viability isn't a concern. It's more of her skill cap is one of the highest IN THE GAME. Her stun (which is borderline needed to execute her job in laning and team fights) is very tough to use due to the multi dementions used.
    She is very unique in that she is able to move freely while casting 3 out of 4 of her spells. Which is important because her range isn't that amazing. Basically she blows up someone... It's what she does. But EXTREMELY squishy, so positioning is very important.
    All in all she IS viable, but if you REALLY look at League champs, 80% of them are viable. Xerath was deemed a GARBAGE champ till a pro used him, and vwala, viable. So more of I'd say pick a champ you identify with, really enjoy, cheap or expensive, and play that champ. Diversify eventually yes, but find "that champ".
    Mine was Gragas ;-)
    Good luck to you my friend!

Deleted
    1. Xerath was never garbage, I've played him since s2! he just didn't bring enough utility to fit into the comps usually ran. meta evolved a bit (i.e straight nuke mids acceptable again) and voila, Xerath back in the pro game.

2. Syndra is EXTREMELY hard to play. you have to be patient before using her ultimate (damage increasing the more balls you have out), you can refresh your own dark spheres with some tricky W play and positioning is everything to her. there are no "oh shit" buttons. there is no CC if you miss your stun which is kinda tricky to land in the first place. if you don't smartcast you might as well not play her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    1. Xerath was never garbage, I've played him since s2! he just didn't bring enough utility to fit into the comps usually ran. meta evolved a bit (i.e straight nuke mids acceptable again) and voila, Xerath back in the pro game.

2. Syndra is EXTREMELY hard to play. you have to be patient before using her ultimate (damage increasing the more balls you have out), you can refresh your own dark spheres with some tricky W play and positioning is everything to her. there are no "oh shit" buttons. there is no CC if you miss your stun which is kinda tricky to land in the first place. if you don't smartcast you might as well not play her at all.

She just looks so cool and fun to play. :P
    I'm only new to LoL, played like 6 games max but I want to try and find some good champs to play.
    At the moment I'm flip flopping like crazy every time I die to an enemy champ. I want to go buy the champ that killed me. :P

Syndra is good, and can be extremely useful. It's just that she requires more effort than other champions to do it decently, but her maximum potential is higher than others.

If you can manage her full potential, she is definitely worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good champion, high skillcap though. Unless you're really good at her, there are more efficient champions to play.

Syndra is one of the 'new' champions, ie, very particular, with a strange playstyle and a niche champion, so just wait until she gets a free week and give her a blast. She can be either really shit or pretty good.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Syndra is very good and fun but as someone else mentioned above, you need to use SmartCast on her or it will be so messy.

Deleted
    New to the game??? Wait 5 months, then play her....

---------- Post added 2013-04-17 at 12:18 PM ----------

Also, if you pick her in ranked, the enemy can just counterpick, and you will be screwed... In fact if you dont get ahead in farm and/or kills... Assasins are good against her, so be careful if enemy team have got a Zed, Diana or an Akali

Deleted
    Why hello there...

So is Syndra worth picking up and getting good at?
    Yes.
    Can she hold her own against better players if played well?
    No, you have and should be the better one.