Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I personally don't see how anybody can enjoy BGs. It's a chorre
    I don't mind an occasional battle ground but often find them a chore. An ex guildie of mine only ever ran random bgs, that's all he did (which still sort of boggles my mind since I can only do a couple a week but all the power to him if he finds that fun).

10+ Year Old Account
    I love getting all achievements in WoW, Well all i can get.
    I Myself obtained 13000 Achievement Points only in Cataclysm, Which i find pretty heroic.
    And 20 Feats of Strength in 1 expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play for reward, surely, they are nice, but they are not my final goal.

I don't like arena, so i don´t do it, but i like to do some random bg's every now and then, even when honor capped.
    Also, i don't like raiding, really can't stand playing with more than 4 people in pve. I don't like spamming small dungeons, i prefer spending 5 hours doing a BRD like dungeon. I think its much more immersive and fun.

I don't like having to do 48568168 dailies every single day, so i just do some of them when i want to.
    I never used cookie cutter specs, and nowadays i use the talents and glyphs i want. If a talent is better than the one i am using, but i think its boring i just don't spec into it.

I like wiping in a new dungeon that nobody knows, and find out the strategies by ourselves.

I like soloing old content, just because i think it feels much more heroic killing the bad guy alone, than being just another soldier in the battle (of course this is a perspective of a RP'er).

I never farmed gold in my life.

I don't like doing stupid achievs just to have more points, i don't like collecting mounts and pets i'ill never use.

Yeah, i am different from 99% of wow players and i really can't stand this mindset of only going after the rewards.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2013-04-01 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well....going after rewards and achieves is fun for me. People like different things, so what you don't deem as fun another might. It is a game, clearly everyone is playing it for fun or no one would play. Personally I don't understand BG's, but again if that is what someone enjoys so be it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got a Flawless Eye of the Storm today. They had zero points, I think that was enough of a reward for this month. It also made up for all the stupidity I've encountered in EotS ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Meh - different strokes for different folks. I don't understand why everyone feels like the entire playerbase should feel the same way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    I don't mind an occasional battle ground but often find them a chore. An ex guildie of mine only ever ran random bgs, that's all he did (which still sort of boggles my mind since I can only do a couple a week but all the power to him if he finds that fun).
    Sounds like me. Random BG's are the only remotely interesting implementation of PvP in this game, and even those are brought down by the number of botters or players who simply don't care to put effort in.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    It is a game, clearly everyone is playing it for fun or no one would play.
    There are LOTS of reasons people do things they don't find fun. A sense of accomplishment is a big one with MMOs. Lots of people playing to feel more accomplished in a life where they may not feel successful.

Deleted
    The moment I realise I'm playing a game as described in the OP, I stop playing it.
    If loot is all one cares about, they aren't really having fun. Just playing it "to be the best", to think they've done something.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Honestly gear is the entire "motivation" for really any game.
    I dunno. I just played 3 hours of TF2, and it was purely for fun, and not for the gear. The gameplay by itself is rewarding to me. I find it odd that people play games where the gameplay isn't rewarding enough on it's own - but somehow find that the virtual rewards make it worth their while.

But I guess everyone is different... and WOW attracts the more "reward-oriented" players... while games like TF2 attracts the more "fun gameplay -oriented" players.

Lol, you're clearly not alone...had someone in my alts guild pestering the rest of us with questions about what to do once capped on VP...we told him what we do, but he seemed only able to focus on the gear he'd be able to purchase next week, and doing dailies.

Me? It's a game, I love the game for what it is and the world of Warcraft as a brand. I love the art style, mechanics, story, FEEL. I have fun, I go after rewards that progress and lets me play my toons. I tried LoL at one point, assured I'd love to progress and get ranks in it...but I didn't, so I quit. Doesn't mean others are bored whilst playing or that it's a bad game or the "rewards" not good enough, it's all subjective. Still after years of playing and 217 mounts, I get giddy and happy when I reach a new mount goal, and I still feel happy and relaxed when I can just play the game, not aiming for anything in particular but just enjoying the zones and mounts and cities and other players.

If you DON'T see all this, then clearly it's not the game for you.

Sure, gear has SOME value since it's a tool, but gear is replaced as new content comes out and you keep it for the looks...the other ways I progress my toons in >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gear they get whilst I do it.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2013-04-01 at 10:03 PM.

Deleted
    Excellent post op, totally agree with you. You can find this phenomenon nearly everywhere in life.
    People focus on the future too much and try to grow their egos. At the same time they forget to live in the present and don't enjoy what they already have.

I am a achievement farmer myself. I always wanted better gear and more achievements but I always focused on the entertainment of the game primarily. Achievements were just there to remind me of the time I had with wow. They showed that I had used my time on something I truly loved doing.

I guess it is just the thrill of the hunt really. Why would you even want to achieve anything in life, when you soon die anyway? Well I guess because of that brief moment when you feel like a king.

Deleted
    I do random BGs, arenas, RBGs and world pvp on pretty much a daily basis. I don't stop because I've hit the gear ceiling, cos that's where it gets the most fun :P

Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    The moment I realise I'm playing a game as described in the OP, I stop playing it.
    If loot is all one cares about, they aren't really having fun. Just playing it "to be the best", to think they've done something.
    I still remember equiping myself with full Wintergrasp PVP gear... just to find out they'd be replaced a month later. I said "Why the hell do I even bother!? I'm a Rogue... it's not like this will keep me alive any longer in Wintergrasp or AV (which is what I play)"

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvision View Post
    Excellent post op, totally agree with you. You can find this phenomenon nearly everywhere in life.
    People focus on the future too much and try to grow their egos. At the same time they forget to live in the present and don't enjoy what they already have.

I am a achievement farmer myself. I always wanted better gear and more achievements but I always focused on the entertainment of the game primarily. Achievements were just there to remind me of the time I had with wow. They showed that I had used my time on something I truly loved doing.

I guess it is just the thrill of the hunt really. Why would you even want to achieve anything in life, when you soon die anyway? Well I guess because of that brief moment when you feel like a king.
    regarding the underlined part I have the very same question about work.

So far I loved most of the jobs I've had. And the ones I didn't like I quitted sooner or later. Yet most of my coworkers hated their job, hated their bosses, hated everything they could hate and only worked for the money. Perhaps I am naive or optimistic but I also don't understand why people bitch about how bad their jobs are and that they only do it for the money.

Reward is a great consequence of doing something that you enjoy. In my eyes the motivation is the enjoyment. The reward is a bonus.

Not sure if comparing a game to work is a fair comparison. You need to work to live and survive and pay rent and buy food. Gaming is a luxury pastime done for enjoyment.

I can't totally understand why some people have shit jobs... because they have to. I can't understand why people "shit" games if they don't have to. (I don't think WOW is a shit game - I love it... but from listening to some people bitch and complain about how much it sucks... it makes me wonder why they still play.)

Some of this human behaviour just goes way over my head. I know the rats/reward example... but I expect more from humans than to behave like rats... lol.

I honestly think a lot of people don't actually like the actual gameplay of WoW, and just get into it because, compared to other types of games, it's fairly easy to play. Like, it's a time-sink and they want digital shinies. Probably why MMOs attract a lot of non-traditional gamers, or something. The barrier for entry is waaaaaaaaaaay low compared to, like... Street Fighter, Starcraft, Battlefield, or whatever.

Hell, look at how many people who say various aspects of the game don't even "count". It's hilarious and sad.

The following, according to most, do not count:

- Random BGs
    - Dungeons
    - Scenarios
    - LFR
    - 2vs2 Arena
    - Anything 1-89
    - Dailies
    - Questing at all

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Getting gear is the fun. Some gear you get so you get more powerful making it easier to get more gear. Other pieces of gear you get because it appeals to you - appearance, novelty effect ... Etc.

It's the same "logic" behind people who collect baseball cards or whatever.

I wish to be able to play pvp just for fun but no, i do everything for a reward too.
    Whatever it is, mount, pet, achievement, valors, gold or anything.

I find random bgs and dungeons the most fun in wow. But I also find fun in getting new armor looks for my character. Unfortunately, most PVP gear is ugly and I have to do LFR for new looks.