10+ Year Old Account

Add Private Notes About A Poster

I suggest adding an Add Private Notes feature for individual posters. It would work like this:

You click on a poster's name then click 'Add Private Note' and add your note. Now whenever you hover over that poster's name your notes for that poster popup in the tooltip.

Examples:
    Poster1: Tooltip-> 'Maths professor'
    Poster2: Tooltip-> 'Cool guy, makes intelligent points'
    Poster3: Tooltip-> 'Entertaining read'
    Poster4: Tooltip-> 'Professional troll, do not respond to his posts'

And so on and so forth.

This is not the same thing, but you can add users as friends and you can put other users on ignore.

Sounds like a fun little gimmick, and I don't really see any downsides with it. On the other hand, I don't see it as being incredibly useful either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Sounds like a fun little gimmick, and I don't really see any downsides with it. On the other hand, I don't see it as being incredibly useful either.
    The primary downside is it's probably a lot of work to add since I don't think that's something that comes with vbulletin.

However, you'd be surprised at how useful that kind of thing is. Fark has a system like this (colouring users and adding notations) that was originally developed as a browser plugin but was used and loved by so many people they ended up adding it to the site by default. It's great for highlighting outstanding posters whose insights you don't want to miss when skimming a long thread and the notes can be functional. On Fark I use them mostly to put people's funny quotes, but even here I would make use of them .

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a feature we'll see anytime soon since it seems like it's not the best place to devote dev time. But maybe we'll get lucky and some bored person will make a browser plugin like the old farky one.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It's great for highlighting outstanding posters whose insights you don't want to miss when skimming a long thread and the notes can be functional.
    It would be cool to be able to subscribe to specific posters in specific forums. I don't have any idea how difficult that would be to do and how many would use it. There's about half-a-dozen people here who I like to read though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Politicus View Post
    I would love such a system, but as Tziva said, it may not be something we see soon.
    Wish we could put a private note that would show a user's old name next to their new names so I don't have to go to completely different pages all the time to check