Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I see Ryan Dempster of the Red Sox is doing what we discussed earlier, which is beaning A-Rod. Got warned and didn't even get ejected, although Girardi did, haha. Hears hoping more follow suit.

Dempster was a prick over that. I know I've said I'd drill Arod without hesitation, but lets be brutally clear here, there's no part of what Dempster did that is "ok" in any way shape or form. He threw behind him first, what a dick move that is, listen if you want to send a message, man the fuck up and send it, don't screw around throwing behind guys, that's just showing that you lack the cojones to do it properly first time. Then he throws two inside then rather than hitting him where he should, he hits him up and despite the fact it was obvious he only gets a warning and Girardi gets tossed for it for arguing that Dempster deserved the heave-ho. Warning SHOULD have been issued after the first pitch of the AB, but wasn't, Dempster's going to find himself on the end of a suspension for that and frankly, I can't wait to see if any of our guys turn round and bean atleast one of their whiny little bitches next time round. Rodriguez for what it's worth let his bat do the talking later on and got his measure of revenge.

Whatever you think about the whole situation with Alex Rodriguez, whatever you believe, there's some simple facts - as he has chosen to appeal, like any other player under the CBA he has the right to continue playing under appeal. If you want to lean on the union for support during your own issues, you got to accept the conditions they have collectively bargained for you, otherwise you're looking to have all of the benefits for you but none of them for anyone else, like it or lump it, that there is the rule. Arod can continue to play prior to his appeal so as not to prejudge the case - otherwise you could wind up with a situation where you punish a guy for being innocent.

Then again, I expect nothing more than bullshit classlessness from Boston, the whole organisation is a disgrace.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you realize how hard it is to throw a non-strike when that's what you're trained to do. I doubt he was intentionally throwing behind A-Rod, no pitcher tries to do that. Also the best place to hit a batter its square on his back. That's where the ball would have hit if A-Rod wasn't wearing body armor on his elbow and if he spun around properly. Below the waist is good too, just don't hit him in the junk.

What I actually don't agree with is beaning him at all in that situation. Don't give a man a free base when it's zero outs. That's living dangerously.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-08-19 at 08:24 AM.

How many more games are left in the season? Throw behind him that many more times, then hit him that many more times.

This isn't the court system. Fucker is guilty, he already admitted it (not in this case, previous one boohoo I only used teh 'roids when I was with the Rangers. Yeah fucking right, and I'm the Queen.).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How many more games are left in the season? Throw behind him that many more times, then hit him that many more times.

This isn't the court system. Fucker is guilty, he already admitted it (not in this case, previous one boohoo I only used teh 'roids when I was with the Rangers. Yeah fucking right, and I'm the Queen.).
    I'd bean him just for ratting out his teammate like that.

I know exactly how difficult it is to throw behind someone when you're trained to hit spots, it's virtually impossible to screw up so badly that you throw behind someone without meaning it, that's not a little off the plate, that's a minimum of 2.5ft off the plate - when you're trained to hit a spot the size of a dinner plate from 60ft away to miss by that much is intent. Look at the pitch, that's not "one that got away", it's not "overthrown" it's directly aimed to either hit his leg or go behind him, hell even the biggest suck up of the Red Sox on US TV admitted it was likely intentional (Curt Schilling), pitches 2 & 3 were inside but not intended to hit (because right now the best place to pitch Arod is inside), pitch 4 was "well, you've pretty much got 1st already so I'ma drill you". Now where I come from if I were to do the equivalent of that on a soccer field I'd be in court very swiftly there after facing criminal charges for assault because while you might think it's OK to drill a guy for being a prick, it's not exactly good sportsmanship. If your guys have been drilled (as ours were all god damn night, 4 hit batters), then yeah, retaliate, but to drill a guy because you don't agree with him playing, no, that's a bitch move and Dempster, along with every other player in the league knows it - ever wonder why Lackey didn't do it, probably because for all he's a professional asshole, he knows there's some areas he can't go.

The other thing is you're forgetting that he's not appealing based on his guilt, he's appealing (and the union are backing him) on the basis the suspension is excessive - which it would be hard to argue against. Even for a "second strike" on the drugs charge it's still only 100 games (as Manny knows), did he obstruct the league, probably, but does that call for 111 games worth of a suspension, yeah good luck getting anyone who's not clouded by their dislike of Alex Rodriguez to agree to that. Even if you're the sort of person who believes that if you're under threat of suspension you shouldn't play, you have to accept the fact that under the CBA which was agreed on your behalf, if a player appeals the suspension he must be allowed to play. What you can't do is go out there with the attitude "oh I don't like that guy, I'm going to drill him" otherwise you'd have pitchers doing it every night - oh hi Big Papi, I'm going to drill you cos you're on the list & have denied knowingly taking steroids all this time, oh hi Miguel Cabrera, I'ma drill you because lets face it, statistically you're likely to get in base anyways cos you're that damn good.

As for ratting out his own team mate, if I were in the clubhouse and it was proven to be true then it's a clubhouse matter - not for anyone else to interject themselves with the exception of any other players whom he also dropped in it. As an opponent, I sure as hell wouldn't be talking to him right now, but that's just how it goes, doesn't give me license to go out there and bean the guy, but it doesn't mean I gotta show him any other professional courtesies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Strasburg went into Ankiel mode the other day and was spraying the ball all over the place, if you're throwing the ball behind them on accident its usually a pretty bad sign.

I would rather get Rodriguez out than put him on base and I assume most big league pitchers are similarly competitive.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying his missed the glove with the throw behind him, I'm saying he missed Rodriguez. When you are throwing off the mound at a target that isn't the strike zone, it is a huge issue. It's just not programmed in your brain. A lot of pitchers simply suck at throwing the ball over to first for example unless they throw it like a normal pitch, which often catches the first baseman by surprise.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    That ump should be suspended. That is so bad it's beyond comprehension. First and foremost, Dempster should have been ejected. Three straight pitches trying to hit someone? The correct move would have been to eject him AND issue a warning to both sides (which would have been fair even though the Yankees doing do anything because Dempster already got ejected). But if he didn't want to eject Dempster, how can he then issue a warning to both sides? The Yankees didn't do a damn thing and now they cannot retaliate after one of their hitters was blatantly hit on purpose. Girardi was inches away from decking him he was so mad and I can't blame him.

Being a Cub fan I used to like Dempster but that was insanely idiotic move. He could have (and should have) been ejected from the game in the 2nd inning, forcing his bullpen to go the rest of the way, and for what? The guy has been back for 12 games now and no other pitcher felt the need to hit him. You want to make him look bad? Then man up and strike him out on 3 pitches. Pussy ass move. I wish I could upload the GIF of Girardi calling him a fucking pussy but it's too big.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-08-19 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    But if he didn't want to eject Dempster, how can he then issue a warning to both sides? The Yankees didn't do a damn thing and now they cannot retaliate after one of their hitters was blatantly hit on purpose. Girardi was inches away from decking him he was so mad and I can't blame him.
    It is ridiculous, mostly they get it right, I know in the Dodgers/D-Bags game awhile back they didn't issue a warning until after the retaliation, then stupidass Kennedy threw at Greinke anyway and got suspended. They let things go evenly, Puig got hit, Greinke hit somebody, then the warnings came. That is how it is supposed to happen, you issue a warning after the retaliation, things are even, let them stay even, try and calm things down.

I agree that the competitive thing to do, the right thing to do is to try and get the guy out, Dempster would rather hit him, Dempster took the loss.

That ump should be suspended. That is so bad it's beyond comprehension. First and foremost, Dempster should have been ejected. Three straight pitches trying to hit someone? The correct move would have been to eject him AND issue a warning to both sides (which would have been fair even though the Yankees doing do anything because Dempster already got ejected). But if he didn't want to eject Dempster, how can he then issue a warning to both sides? The Yankees didn't do a damn thing and now they cannot retaliate after one of their hitters was blatantly hit on purpose. Girardi was inches away from decking him he was so mad and I can't blame him.

Being a Cub fan I used to like Dempster but that was insanely idiotic move. He could have (and should have) been ejected from the game in the 2nd inning, forcing his bullpen to go the rest of the way, and for what? The guy has been back for 12 games now and no other pitcher felt the need to hit him. You want to make him look bad? Then man up and strike him out on 3 pitches. Pussy ass move. I wish I could upload the GIF of Girardi calling him a fucking pussy but it's too big.
    Both teams cleared their benches, that's where they earned both warnings given their history.

Pedro would have hit him on the first pitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pedro had a lot more experience intentionally trying to injure his fellow players

Don't care if A-Rod gets beaned every at bat the rest of the season, tbh...

I'll be happy when most of these distractions are gone from baseball (not the players, just the whole in your face every day media bombardment of what's going on).

Both teams cleared their benches, that's where they earned both warnings given their history.
    The warnings were issued prior to the benches clearing when they either should have been issued after the pitch behind Arod OR after the retaliatory plunking (mind you with CC's command of late I'm not sure if the big man would have been able to get the job done!).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Literally right after the HBP happened is when he issued the warnings.

A number of bloggers already drawing comparison to a similar situation in 2011 when Lackey beaned Francisco Cervelli after he felt Cervelli celebrated a little too much after going yard, after that game the Sox blew up and went on the slide - fingers crossed.

10+ Year Old Account
    First chance to see the Marlin's rookie Fernandez, he's pretty brutal on righties, a little trouble throwing strikes to lefties, his slider has great movement.

Three of the top RotY candidates in this game with Fernandez, Puig, and Ryu
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-08-19 at 11:52 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nationals acquire DeJesus from the Cubs, seems like an odd move for the Nats. I guess they still think they have a chance to catch the Reds? Though I can't imagine how much they expect from him. Creates one of those situations though where his first new game with the Nats is... at Wrigley.

Literally right after the HBP happened is when he issued the warnings.
    Probably knew what was going to happen, heh.

Why was Dempster suspended? He threw at a suspended cheater who shouldnt have been playing anyways, give him a medal. If A-Rod was sitting out like all the other cheaters this never happens.