15+ Year Old Account

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi, I seem to be constantly covering the bottom of the Recount meter on a lot of fights in Throne of Thunder. As far as I know I'm doing my rotation correctly & helping healers w/ PoM's, Renews, & shielding myself and others when there's a lot of incoming damage.

As howtopriest mentions I start my rotation as followed: Life Blood (Herbalism) > MB > Halo > SWP > VT > Shadow Fiend

I clip MF to use Mind Blast & use DP on 3 Shadow Orbs and make sure to recast SWP & VT at <6 seconds.

Also, I do change some of my talents/glyphs based per fight. Not all fights, though.

Here are some WoL reports - if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong please help because I just can not for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/265076/

Also my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...netix/advanced

I just got the belt & wasn't used during any of the encounters in WoL.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Knails; 2013-04-04 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not seeing anything in particular that you're doing wrong, to be honest. That said, I'll be forward and say that I have little experience past Tortos, so take from this what you will.

You do pretty much everything I do with a few exceptions. I normally recast dots at <2.5 seconds, so I don't lose any ticks (and globals down the line). My healers rarely find the need for me to use Dark Binding glyph, instead relying on Vamp Embrace for a healing boost when needed.

Looking at your 02-04 log, I would say you were performing exactly as you should. You have slightly higher dps than myself at a slightly higher ilvl, so you're in line on that regard. Your rogue, dk, and warlock all have a significant ilvl gap over you which in my uneducated eye for their classes makes up for the dps difference. Your dot uptimes are good, if even slightly higher than my own, and I see no issues with MB usage.

On your 03-04 log, which I assume was the one you were concerned about, the Iron Qon kill had you spending 6 gcd's on PoM, which could easilly drop your dps significantly. If your healing strat relies on that, don't change it, you're doing your job. On the Twin Consorts kill, again you have a similar dps to the raiders in similar ilvl, eclipsed by the three that have a much higher ilvl. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of either fight, but that seems normal to me.

So to answer your question, I don't think you're doing anything wrong to begin with. Nothing stands out as "wrong". I think the dps that are beating you are equally skilled but have better gear, accounting for the dps difference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the great reply, really appreciate it. Seems maybe I"m taking flack from the rest of my raid team for no reason and they just don't understand Shadow DPS at the moment.

Edit: Also what I meant by recasting my DOTs at <6 seconds was just prior to casting DP w/ 3 Shadow Orbs. Therefore neither VT or SWP will fall off during the 3 channels of MF:I

Deleted
    Wouldn't taking a crafting profession over herbalism be a decent dps boost?

(I've recently started playing again after a break since cata so please ignore me if things have changed!)
    Last edited by mmoc263431aa9d; 2013-04-05 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are correct that its a dps boost, though its only worth while if you're truely looking to min-max. Imo, use the professions that you'd most like to have access to on that character.

Taken from the raiding boards on http://www.howtopriest.com, most professions clock in at 320 PP (pseudo-points, 1 PP = 1 int), and herbalism is rated between 192-264 PP (depending on the sticky you read). Its not as valuble as a crafting profession, but upgrading is only worth around 100 int, assuming optimal use of both.

Deleted
    Thanks Ambereldus!

Deleted
    Something I need to ask here about haste rating... Isn't there a soft cap 8090 for a extra tick anything more than that is worthless?

If that was the case it would be called 'hard cap' and 8090 haste rating is neither a hard cap nor a soft cap, its not a cap at all, and haste is still the best stat after you exceed it. The haste soft cap would be where our GCD gets down to 1s (50% spellhaste) and even after that haste is still the best stat due to other effects. The significane of 8090 haste rating is that just before you reach that the last few haste rating points are even more valualbe.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2013-04-05 at 02:24 PM.

Taking a quick glance at Megaera, you had 33 DI procs and 44 mind blasts used. Seems like you're not using mind blast as well as you should. 44 mind blasts for that length of time isn't really even exceptional without using Divine Insight. You only used SWD 10 times, and it seems to me like you could have used it a bit more than that. Altogether you missed out on a lot of shadow orbs, which means a lot of missed DP and MFI damage. Those are pretty big issues, so I'll stop there and recommend you work on those for now.

Second what Mctriple said. Losing/delaying MBs are the single biggest loss of single target DPS.

Also, something seems off with your multidot fights. On all of Horridon, Council and Tortos you should be pushing at least 30-50k more with your gear. A small part of that might be talents (looks like you're taking MFI + DI throughout? ToF + MB/FDCL does better), but that won't come close to accounting for the difference. I'm not good enough with WoL to pick out what you were doing in multidot situations, but common problems are

- forgetting to MB/DP while multidotting (this is actually pretty huge if it's happening)
    - missing SW
    - target switching too slowly
    - dotting targets that will die too fast (VT is especially bad for this because of the cast time, putting SWP on everything is often OK even if they die fast)
    - making mistakes on target switches and re-dotting the same guy, or re-dotting something that is about to die

Applying VT and SWP takes the same time each, so unless you have to move you can't agrue that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Applying VT and SWP takes the same time each, so unless you have to move you can't agrue that way.
    Say an add spawns and is going to die in 6 seconds.
    - If you cast SWP, you get 6 seconds of ticks from it.
    - If you cast VT, you get about 4.5 to 5 seconds of ticks from it, because of the cast time
    - Casting VT first is even worse because it delays your SWP as well

Clearer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dmfg View Post
    Say an add spawns and is going to die in 6 seconds.
    - If you cast SWP, you get 6 seconds of ticks from it.
    - If you cast VT, you get about 4.5 to 5 seconds of ticks from it, because of the cast time
    - Casting VT first is even worse because it delays your SWP as well

Clearer?
    Plus there's the upfront damage of SW: P that VT lacks.