Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sounds like a pretty good deal for $10. While waiting on RotHC I dusted off LotRO for mid week gaming and spent about $15 worth of points(I bought them on a double points sale normal price is about $20ish) just for the Rohan landscape quests. If I spend the same amount I can buy access to one raid and a couple of 3-6 man dungeons that make up Rohan's endgame.

SWTOR's mini expansion actually seems like a good deal. If it was $40-50 it would look really thin, but it cost me $10 so far it looks solid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
    This means that players will face the opposite dilemma in RotHC leveling as compared with 1.0 leveling. In 1.0, if you did all the content you simply couldn't help outleveling it; there was more to do than one toon could accomplish. In RotHC you will probably do everything and still need to find extra XP. When 2.0 launches you will (if things are like the beta) find new cookie crumb quests taking you back through the 50 endgame dailies. I advise doing them, even if you've done them hundreds of times at this point. You need two things from them that are in short supply on Makeb: XP and credits.
    Oh look Bioware learned something, they planned for players to level for few months in vanilla SWTOR but players didnt because there were enough quests or quest rewards to just outlevel content, this time there are not enough quests and not enough xp rewards for players to level just through quests alone.

If you are a solo player there are 2 sollutions - 1)BUY XP boosts in Cartel Shop or 2) Grind your ass off on mobs.
    If you like to play with other people you can use third sollution - 3) do Flashpoints, but they did not add any new FPs for levels between 51 to 54, so you will be either doing old FPs in hard mode for level 50 (with decreased exp rewards from mobs due to level difference) or.. no wait, no or, since level 55 hard mode FP's are designed for level 55 players.

This is just hillarious - I have not heard of any new MMO going back to old GRIND YOUR ASS OFF FOR FEW HOURS to level.

Deleted
    They recently added experience boosters to mission rewards. On live servers I have a handful on most toons received solely via missions. I imagine the Makeb quests will also have some XP boosters as rewards. Bit early to cry havoc on this point imo.

They also come in plenty of packs apparently as the GTN is flooded with them(on the Bastion at least). I made use of a few over the past couple weekends taking my sage from 26 to 50.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madderdin View Post
    This is just hillarious - I have not heard of any new MMO going back to old GRIND YOUR ASS OFF FOR FEW HOURS to level.
    And yet, i've read some people here in mmochampion advocating for the return of that method x_x

I probably am not going to buy this one, even if it's only 10$ (and the amusement/price ratio is high). As a previous poster said, this is not the kind of expansion i want (i want storylines and more interaction with companions), and hopefully if this expansion has a poor reception, they will rethink their strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good deal for $10. While waiting on RotHC I dusted off LotRO for mid week gaming and spent about $15 worth of points(I bought them on a double points sale normal price is about $20ish) just for the Rohan landscape quests. If I spend the same amount I can buy access to one raid and a couple of 3-6 man dungeons that make up Rohan's endgame.

SWTOR's mini expansion actually seems like a good deal. If it was $40-50 it would look really thin, but it cost me $10 so far it looks solid.
    I dont remember but wasnt it hyped up to be the biggest content patch that was as big as some games? Take away the content or expansion issue but this doesnt sound like its that big. Then again they used excuses to charge the subs because they were adding even more to it. LOL

We all knew that it wouldn't be an expansion... let's continue to discuss about it now that it is "confirmed" that it is not an expansion....

I wish I had the endurance some people have, to not like a game but continue to discuss about it for months.

That review interview pretty much sums up what I was expecting.... and after several weeks of a break (personal conditions) I will gladly jump back into SWTOR... gladly ignore the Cartel Market and level some more characters, do some more PvP and raiding. That should give me at least 3-4 months of "work" and I'm curious what comes out afterwards. They re-used all their current content and will have to come up with new stuff. No more excuses.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Not at all. You don't HAVE to use the cash shop. You'll just be forced to repeat dailies, do older Ops, run space missions, do PvP, etc. While it is a gentle nudge to do so, by no means is it a "do it or don't reach max level" type of shove.
    Hello, welcome to the state of MMOs in 2013. If you can't hit max level by questing and not going back to do old content (WTF?) then they are forcing you to use XP boosts. There is no defense for that, it's just utter BS. This isn't a Korean Grindathon, this isn't Everquest 1, this is a AAA MMO in 2013. If you have to grind, it is intentional. Put two and two together.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Hello, welcome to the state of MMOs in 2013. If you can't hit max level by questing and not going back to do old content (WTF?) then they are forcing you to use XP boosts. There is no defense for that, it's just utter BS. This isn't a Korean Grindathon, this isn't Everquest 1, this is a AAA MMO in 2013. If you have to grind, it is intentional. Put two and two together.
    Except, like Jamos stated above, XP boosters are now part of some mission rewards. Also, you don't have to do old content. There's also the experience from the Macrobinoculars questline, Warzones, space missions, and the repeatable dailies. Basically if you want to hit max level the first day, you're probably going to have to use XP boosters. If not, you may not have to or use any "old" content. Considering you and I both have absolutely no idea how the leveling XP is handed out, isn't it premature for us to jump to conclusions?

Would like to add my personal opinion:

-Rise of the Hut Cartel. Expansion only costs 10$, good. Does it defend it being a mini-expansion? No. I would much rather pay 40-50$ for a massive expansion a'la WoW. An expansion that actually gives you more or less a new game and not just meh.... An AAA title should have an AAA expansion imo.

- Not being able to reach 55 with questing w/o XP boost. This is something that truly shows how greedy this company is becoming. You think that just because you spent credits on the GTN to buy this that this wasn't purchased with real money? It's what we norwegians would call sneak-taxation in the case of a GTN purchase and outright robbery of subscribers should they be forced to spend a) Real Money or b) Grind their ass off to reach max level. This is embarassing for BW tbh.

Am I negative toward this expansion? Nope, just not agreeing with some of their choices, but I'm not the one calling the shots so it doesn't matter. Would very much like to see them taking this game seriously. Only reason they lost a million subscribers was due to delivering too little, shitty content to begin with. They will continue to lose players, even with F2P if they keep this customer hostile policy going.

Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post
    I dont remember but wasnt it hyped up to be the biggest content patch that was as big as some games?
    No, the two things Ohlen said were that it was the biggest non-expansion content patch and Makeb's landmass was as big as some single player games.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Expansion only costs 10$, good.
    Once again, it only costs $10 for subscribers. Why does everybody automatically discount the fact that it's $20 for the F2P/preferred player?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering you and I both have absolutely no idea how the leveling XP is handed out, isn't it premature for us to jump to conclusions?
    I've already tried to allow that things will be different, but now we have people like Dulfy stating the same thing. Given their recent track record, I don't think it's jumping to conclusions. Remember, these are the people that will leave something awful in until a significant number of people complain about it (ilke action bar fiasco). Sure they may increase the XP rate, but it's sounding like they are trying to funnel another subsection of their game back through the cash shop.

Any way you look at it really, you can clearly see design principles meant to loop players through the cartel market. Whether it's subscribers buying up unlocks to redistribute or not, it is awfully transparent it is the driving force of system design in the game now. If you can't see that, I don't know what to say. There's so much evidence pointing directly to that fact, it's past time for jumping to conclusions.
    BAD WOLF

Once again, it only costs $10 for subscribers. Why does everybody automatically discount the fact that it's $20 for the F2P/preferred player?
    Not too mention, that unless you purchased unlocks, you won't be able to use any of the gear (if its artifact level), do the ops, space missions, etc.......... Its a waste of money unless you subscribe.

Then the Subscribers are going to be BMGing that F2P/Preferred get a toon locked at 50. Much like how when WOW released its first expansion and people that didn't buy it got a twink locked at 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    Then the Subscribers are going to be BMGing that F2P/Preferred get a toon locked at 50. Much like how when WOW released its first expansion and people that didn't buy it got a twink locked at 60.
    Not really sure how people are even talking about twinks in SWTOR when the PvP is bolstered and there's a gear wall that cannot be overcome in any way. Once you have the highest level of PvP gear for level 50, you can't get better gear. Combine that with the fact that everyone is bolstered to quasi equality anyway and I don't think it even matters.
    BAD WOLF

Saw this on the recent threads on the main page, thought it was some new game I never heard of. Then I realized it was linked to SWTOR. Oh well

Is it just me or does this "expansion" sound like it makes the game worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Warloff View Post
    Is it just me or does this "expansion" sound like it makes the game worse?
    The only way this makes the game "worse" is by limiting the pool of max level players by, once again, forcing people to subscribe or not pay for this "expansion" that isn't worth $20. If there is already an XP wall for subscribers, I'd have to say that it will be impossible for a F2P player to reach max level without doing a shitload of dailies, Ops, WZs, etc. outside of the main story.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    Not too mention, that unless you purchased unlocks, you won't be able to use any of the gear (if its artifact level), do the ops, space missions, etc.......... Its a waste of money unless you subscribe.

As Kitty state above, twinking doesn't exist in TOR. It never has. Bolster has done a pretty good job at eliminating any possibility of twinking.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I've already tried to allow that things will be different, but now we have people like Dulfy stating the same thing. Given their recent track record, I don't think it's jumping to conclusions. Remember, these are the people that will leave something awful in until a significant number of people complain about it (ilke action bar fiasco). Sure they may increase the XP rate, but it's sounding like they are trying to funnel another subsection of their game back through the cash shop.

Any way you look at it really, you can clearly see design principles meant to loop players through the cartel market. Whether it's subscribers buying up unlocks to redistribute or not, it is awfully transparent it is the driving force of system design in the game now. If you can't see that, I don't know what to say. There's so much evidence pointing directly to that fact, it's past time for jumping to conclusions.
    Oh, I definitely agree that their entire goal is to get people to buy shit off of the Cartel Market. Even subscribing isn't enough for them anymore. But there are other ways to go about hitting max level that don't revolve around using XP boosts from the CM. Hell, just think about the amount of XP many people will get from not turning in Dailies until the day the "expansion" comes out. And, let's not kid ourselves, that's a tactic that many people have used numerous times to get a jump on leveling. I'm not saying that they're going about this the right way because I don't think that they are, I'm just saying there are options outside of XP boosts.

Deleted
    The only way this makes the game "worse" is by limiting the pool of max level players by, once again, forcing people to subscribe or not pay for this "expansion" that isn't worth $20. If there is already an XP wall for subscribers, I'd have to say that it will be impossible for a F2P player to reach max level without doing a shitload of dailies, Ops, WZs, etc. outside of the main story.
    The amount of XP booster given away now in all the class and planetary quests is so big that the F2P/Pref XP gain nerf is not an issue anymore really. F2P/Pref players won't have to do much to catch up to 55.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just saying there are options outside of XP boosts.
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    The amount of XP booster given away now in all the class and planetary quests is so big that the F2P/Pref XP gain nerf is not an issue anymore really. F2P/Pref players won't have to do much to catch up to 55.
    Are those same xp booster quest rewards available for F2P/Preferred, or are they unavailable without a subscription? If the game gives you boosts just from doing quests, I agree that it isn't as much of an issue. If it's only available to a portion of the population and the others are forced to grind away or spend money(for simply leveling)...then it's still a large problem.
    BAD WOLF

Regarding the issue of XP needed to get to 55 and whether questing is enough, I propose we all take a step back and wait to see if they make any adjustments for when it goes live. It's very possible is just a "beta is beta" issue. And IIRC they did make some similar adjustments back around launch the first time around.