Deleted

Best professions to start an account with?

I've lost my main account. So i've started a brand new account. Now i need to level all the proessions again aswell (dohh), and i was wondering what the best professions are to start with. Getting gold isn't really the issue anymore (so i wont start with 2 gathering profs) , since you get loads while actual leveling up!

I was thinking to get alchemy/herb first, because that almost costs no money to level up, and will also be very helpfull for my future characters.

What are your thoughts about this?

thx!

Deleted
    Depends how exacly you plan to level up. For sure I would try to have enchanting as fast as possible.

Deleted
    But that requires alot of investment of gold aswell. I do get alot of gold while leveling, but will mostly spend that on mounts etc. can't afford to invest 10k or 15k into a profession right now. That's the reason why i was think herb/alch is a good option. Since i can sell mats/flask/pots on level 90. And leveling it up is quite cheap compared to enchanting/JC.

Im planning to make about 4 or 5 level 90 characters in the upcomming 3 months.

Deleted
    leveling your main with tailoring/enchanting should net you enough mats to level your tailoring and enchanting at the same time without any heavy investments, especially as enchanting leveling has been nerfed with the start of MoP (afaik). Accross the dungeons and stuff you do at 90 you should also get enough MoP mats to push enchanting to 600.
    (at least i leveled my mage to 85 with tailoring and enchanting at the end of Cata completely self found with 1h farming of embersilk and 2h farming of frostweave cloth)

What are your goals? Professions for the perks? A steady income to pay for consumables? Or a larger income?

Personally speaking, starting fresh I'd choose two gathering proffs for the XP boost (herbalism/other), then switch to something like alchemy/inscription as they're the cheapest to level in my experience. Up to you if you sell the gathered mats as you go.

Deleted
    I would go with leatherworking or inscription, with the appropriate gathering to go with it. They will both supply you with cheap versions of expensive enchants for your gear that you would otherwise have to buy later on, also you will then be able to craft those enchants for your alts at the prize of only the mats.

I would funnel all the gear from leatherworking into another character with enchanting/tailoring and then have ALL the mats needed to go from 1-600 without having to buy almost anything from the ah.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    I've lost my main account. So i've started a brand new account. Now i need to level all the proessions again aswell (dohh), and i was wondering what the best professions are to start with. Getting gold isn't really the issue anymore (so i wont start with 2 gathering profs) , since you get loads while actual leveling up!

I was thinking to get alchemy/herb first, because that almost costs no money to level up, and will also be very helpfull for my future characters.

What are your thoughts about this?

thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Depends how exacly you plan to level up. For sure I would try to have enchanting as fast as possible.
    I think you are pretty much spot on. I would highly recommend Herbalism and Alchemy/Inscription as your go to professions. I would normally recommend 2 gathering professions to someone new to the game. But since you've already played it you can skip the beginner part.

However, Alchemy does require you to farm a ton of different herbs. Inscription would be the easiest overall. However, Alchemy does provide a better investment considering the early part of the expansion has passed and Darkmoon Cards are not that highly sought after.

I also see a lot of people recommending Enchanting/ Tailoring as your first professions. Fair enough they don't require any addition gathering professions, but they still require additional investment since the amount of cloth and dusts required simply cannot be farmed from levelling. There are some bottlenecks and you cannot move forward without serious investment.

Leatherworking is probably the last profession I would ever consider for a first one let alone a profession. Its way to much of a waste and has very limited rewards compared to Tailoring or Blacksmithing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    But that requires alot of investment of gold aswell. I do get alot of gold while leveling, but will mostly spend that on mounts etc. can't afford to invest 10k or 15k into a profession right now. That's the reason why i was think herb/alch is a good option. Since i can sell mats/flask/pots on level 90. And leveling it up is quite cheap compared to enchanting/JC.

Im planning to make about 4 or 5 level 90 characters in the upcomming 3 months.
    Just mining/BS, althought you could do fine with just mining 1 stack of Ghost Iron bars go for a decent amount,150g for me. You can make one of the new lighting steel weps in about 5 days and sell for 10-15k build some gold fast.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go herb/alch on first toon, Mining/JC on second, then Tailoring/Enchanting on third toon. That gives you the basics to do a lot of gold making. Advantage is that they grow in difficulty in terms of (rare/expensive) mats needed while you should theoretically also be growing in gold and character power.

Just my 2 cents, but I’d go with fishing and wait for a Darkmoon Faire weekend and go crate fishing. It will give you seed money to go into whatever profession you want. I do this when launching toons on new realms. I just fish while I watch TV all weekend long. Take the leather, prismatic scales, ores and other mats to auction house and vendor off the food/drink and potions that don’t sell. The Darkmoon Firewater does sell on most realms so don’t vendor that off although you may have to hold it for a while. On the last two toons I did this with one made 10k the other made 12k.

Apart from the obvious Mining/Herbalism to get started up, I'd say Inscription. It's nearly free to level up and can net you a very good amount of money if you play the AH with your glyphs.

Deleted
    enchanting + tailoring

you can farm mats your self a 100%

both profs yield good gold, leg enchant is always helpful and getting much more blood spirit+ new one from dissenchanting lfr loot seems cool.

Personally I hate leveling with mining or herbing as you tend to easily outlevel your gathering skill in relation to the location you are leveling, unless you go specifically out of your way to make sure that doesn't happen. And remaining in a zone just to bring your mining/herbing skill up to par with the next zone irritates me greatly.

For that reason, I prefer skinning - and skins usually sell quite well as I think the majority of people default to Herb/Mining as the "go to" leveling gathering professions. For the other, probably herbalism - I'd say it's easier than mining to keep your herbalism level in pace with your character level. But as you say you don't need two gathering professions, leatherworking is nice for the leg enchants, and I believe you can get the +500 bracer enchant as early as level 80 which is a significant boost for leveling. Also I feel as if leatherworking is probably one of the less chosen professions and usually the leg armors sell pretty well.

For me, the most important thing is getting to 90 and getting your farm running. A 16 plot farm of enigma seeds and the daily cooking token can net you several hundred gold a day with minimal time invested. I cannot stand flying around and gathering herbs/skins/ore.

Seeing as this is a new account, I would first create my own alt + guild bank for storage. Get guildies to sign your charter and ask them to cover any of the minimal cost (by MoP standards) to start the Gbank. Also, netherweave bags are cheap and an easy way to expand your bank alts inventory. The inventory space is will allow you to store any raw materials you come across as you level.

Is this first toon going to be your "main" or one of them? If it is, I would suggest enchanting + tailoring. Enchanting and tailoring at lv90 have provided me with a sold gold intake while also providing passive gold mats while I play . Cheap windwool cloth allows easy access to ethereals shard from DE'd PvP bracers. This fuels your Sha crystal cooldown if you are short on shards. The ability to DE lv90 gear upgrades is a solid bonus. Tailoring also allows accessing to bigger inventory bags to upgrade from netherweave. Do not forget the daily tailoring cooldown as well.

Inscription + herbalism is not a bad combo as it will level really quickly. You will need to invest a good amount of time stuck doing daily "research" to learn all the glyphs. Ink cost could also be an issue if you do not want to farm raw mats. BC and WotLK inks can be especially expensive. Your farm can provide some MoP level inks that can be exchanged at the ink trader, but several of those plots will grow golden lotus as well. If you go the way of the glyph market, you need to invest in an AH addon like TSM. There are over 300 glyphs.

Alchemy + Herbalism is a standard. In Cata, I would have suggested this combination without hesitation. The volatile life Xmute was like printing money. In MoP, I find that the only profit I make off of MoP level potions/flasks/Xmutes are when I get procs. Otherwise I am selling at about cost. The 2 hour flask timer can save you gold over many months of raiding.

LW, BS, and JC all require daily cooldowns to learn crafting recipes or Spirits of Harmony to purchase them. JC also relies a lot on alchemy for raw gem production.