Poll: Do you want a "number squish" to happen?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Do you want a "number squish" to happen?

I've been seeing a lot of talk about people wanting a "number squish", as in, lowering the numbers across the board to avoid things like 20 billion HP bosses, 10 million HP tanks, 2 million DPS, etc. I've always thought "why does it matter, I like feeling stronger than I did last expansion". However, I've been trying to get my RL friend to get the game back, he hasn't played since Wrath and he was watching me play. He saw my DPS and how much HP I had, and then quickly decided "that's so stupid, i'm not getting this game back". I feel that's an absurd reason to not play a game.

Personally, I think a number squish would make people feel weaker and make more people angry than happy. I don't see any problems with big numbers, and it's nice to feel so much stronger than I was the previous expansion(s). The gear and strength grind is what keeps me going, much like it does in games like D3.

How do you feel about it?

I dread the day it comes. I enjoy large numbers, I always have in all the RPGs/MMOs that I've played.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Yes. Not just a minor one bringing us down to cata numbers, a real one bringing us down to something like 5k dps in raid gear. I like to solo things and the squish will definitely fuck with that, but yet I still want 10 crit to mean something again.

Why do we need a thread about this exact same subject every second week?

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    No offense, but I think your exaggerating a little bit, and no one is forcing you to participate in these threads. I could not find any polls on the subject.

I'd like to see smaller numbers, they're easier to relate to. I actually don't feel "stronger" with big numbers because upgrades aren't really obvious any more. An increase in crit damage was much more tangible in vanilla, where you could tell that you're critting with 1700 instead of 1200. I don't get that kind of relation somewhere between 126.467 and 127.884 or whatever.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-04-03 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind to see it in the next expac. I like being able to tell "average" DPS of a tier, but when numbers range from 100k-200k give or take, it's really hard to compare yourself to others.

I don't care much either way, but considering they'd have to go back and edit pretty much everything that has been created thus far, no, I'd rather the numbers just keep growing, so they don't waste tons of time on something that in the end, does nothing to impact the game anyway

Edit: not to mention, you can fine tune more with larger numbers, making hotfixes much easier to pull off, and much harder to over/undercompensate.
    Last edited by resonance7982; 2013-04-03 at 08:08 AM.

yes, I want a numbers squish and i want a Gold squish. I'll never understand why MMO Devs give in and up the ante on gold dropped from mobs just to please people who do not understand the need to keep numbers down.

Beyond that I remember vanilla my priest wanting to reach 7,000 health barrier.

Not needed really. Other MMOs have current numbers even in their initial level cap. Its the previous expansions that were too squished to begin with.

Deleted
    Don't forget, that number squishing would kill old content soloing. So be careful with it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to it. If they don't s quish,the lvl100 expansion will be too ridiculous in numbers, since their size grows exponentially. Didn't Blizz predict they'd be like 16 times higher than they are now? Aaand I don't think they anticipated the game to be successful for this long, so I just feel it's something we need to get done and over with.

If there will be another xpac, Blizz should make the 1-90 lvling a linear curve instead of what it is now. Remove all the stat increase gaps at 60, 70, 80, 85 and things will be back to normal. Ofcourse they will also have to reduce mob hp and damage and probably a couple of other things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Belz View Post
    Don't forget, that number squishing would kill old content soloing. So be careful with it
    I imagine if blizzard was to go through with a number squish, they would find a way to make it affect everything globally. Otherwise a lot of content wouldn't be possible to do. Either way, I dont care if they do or not. we would still be doing the same percentiles of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't really care. It's just numbers, and relative power will stay the same. However I think this will require more work than people think, Blizzard will have to also squish all the solo, group and raid content to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    However I think this will require more work than people think, Blizzard will have to also squish all the solo, group and raid content to compensate.
    It would take a very long time, it'd probably be something they'd work on internally for months and release during an expansion. They'd have to rebalance/readjust every single number in the game, and doing an easy % decrease across the board never works right. They'd also have to rebalance ALL classes and specs, which is an insanely hard and lengthy process.

In a perfect world, relative power will stay the same but balancing a game is the opposite of a perfect world... With changes like this it would take them a very long time to balance it all, and the game could possibly never be the same again. I would rather them focus that effort into new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Because writting in week old inactive thread is considered a necro.

Personally I think they will make a number squish when they reach the expansion with magical number of 100 levels.
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2013-04-03 at 08:40 AM.

I voted yes but now that I looked at the thread I might vote no.

I like soloing old content. If this means that this itemsquish would make that harder/impossible (soloing old content) then no I don't want an item squish.

If this means that old content gets "squished" aswell, then by all means, make the squish happen. Doing executes for nearly 2 million is a bit daft...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coil View Post
    I imagine if blizzard was to go through with a number squish, they would find a way to make it affect everything globally. Otherwise a lot of content wouldn't be possible to do. Either way, I dont care if they do or not. we would still be doing the same percentiles of damage.
    Well, looking at this chart from old GC blog (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3885585), i'd say it would be really hard "to find a way". Anyways, Blizz encourages to do old content (they are against soloing current raids with exploits) and that is way gave us transmog, and I also hope if squish happens, we will be able to get old tiers just like now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind it. While soloing content will be harder, it will make balancing easier as you'll be working with smaller numbers, smaller gaps between gear, etc.