Poll: Do you want a "number squish" to happen?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Why do we need a thread about this exact same subject every second week?
    as much as this is a repeat thread, why do you need to comment only to point that out?

Personally I thought the numbers were right during wrath for reports etc

however, I do like hitting more each expac, it shows progress,

numbers are number, a figure saying 22k hit is no different to a figure saying 22M it doesnt make fights last any longer so whats the prob

Deleted
    1. Download a combat text mod
    2. Divide all numbers by 100 or whatever
    3. Your numbers have now been squished!

If Blizzard were to do a number squish I'm sure they would just do it at the UI level while keeping the internals of the game the same otherwise it seems like way too much work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do seeing my dps sink from 100k to 5k. Numbers are numbers, it is a mind joke whether or not it matters to deal supermassive damage if mobs/bosses have adequate health pools and damage. But i like improving my character, and going back isn't a way to do so.
    Last edited by Lord Pebbleton; 2013-04-04 at 11:05 AM.

Player stat disparity is insane, a level 60 character in hellfire peninsula might as well be level 1 if a level 90 decides to attack.

you could decimate the numbers by whatever factor you see fit, it wouldn't improve performance on calculations. WoW can store and calculate numbers to a certain number of digits or precision and no further. To a computer storing a number in a byte, 0 or 1 is the same length as 65535.
    Rendering that number onscreen is a different matter, more digits=more pixels to render, more elements to animate and overlay means more work to do.

There's an important psychological element involved. I can read a 5 digit number instantly and recall it for a few seconds, 6 digits is not so easy, watching your floating combat text go by, spewing 4 digit DoT ticks, 6 digit normal crits and the occasional bigass crit in the millions, it's not getting into your head the way it used to, and it's sprawling across the screen. The matter is partly solved by simple abbreviation.
    People like to speak of the psychological impact as if it were simply a matter of making someone accustomed to big numbers then taking them away, but the numbers are actually too big to even have the impact you'd think they would.

I feel that everyone against this sort of thing would not notice it at all, they'd hate on it from some idealistic podium while enjoying the benefits of being able to see what's going on without disabling combat text.

I played in Wrath and found things manageable, I skipped Cataclysm, came back for Pandaria and suddenly everything has gone up by a factor of 10 and I simply don't read the numbers anymore, I worked out the best spells to cast when and what they actually hit for isn't even on my radar in PvE.

To the people lamenting the idea that we might lose the ability to solo old raids, you're spoiled. You shouldn't be able to solo a raid, I shouldn't be able to solo a raid. Nobody should be able to solo a raid.
    The small perk of soloing old raids is not worth the cost of making a low level player into the equivalent of a critter for some max level asshole to 1-shot.

Compress everything, cut stats and damage to 1/10th, and round everything up for low level characters. The impact of big numbers is only as great as your relationship with those numbers, my relationship with the numbers in MoP is that I don't read them, they're too big and in the way if I place them conspicuously, and out of my field of interest once I move them farther out toward the sides where they fit. Solve the stat disparity and the UI issues that come from the current gear and stat scaling paradigm, eliminate the need for UI addon workarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbwarriordx View Post
    you could decimate the numbers by whatever factor you see fit, it wouldn't improve performance on calculations. WoW can store and calculate numbers to a certain number of digits or precision and no further. To a computer storing a number in a byte, 0 or 1 is the same length as 65535.
    Rendering that number onscreen is a different matter, more digits=more pixels to render, more elements to animate and overlay means more work to do.
    Nope, there number of pixels to render are exactly the same. If a 690546895435435 number pops in my screen or if it doesn't my computer will still render 1680 * 1050 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Exactly, they saw what happened in early wrath with people clearing naxx with T5/6 gear, that's not right.
    nobody cleared a goddamn thing in t5 gear

the top raiders on earth cleared naxx with SOME sunwell gear. naxx was an easy raid, a rehash and wasn't meant to be a challenge in any sense of the word. it was a time-buyer while they worked on hardmodes in ulduar.

they want the game to scale linearly 60-90 like it does 1-60, a single formula for all gear/mobs/bosses/etc. that means your level 90 heroic mode gear would be better htan the shit you get at 94 because you killed 8 rabbits for Farmer Dingdong
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2013-04-03 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Nope, there number of pixels to render are exactly the same. If a 690546895435435 number pops in my screen or if it doesn't my computer will still render 1680 * 1050 pixels.
    I didn't say it increases demand on pixel fill-rate, I said every pixel in that number needs to be rendered and ui elements are rendered on top of the game scene, before the whole 1680x1050 output is rendered to your screen.
    The point was that it is more work, which is something you knew before you decided to be pedantically wrong about it.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbwarriordx View Post
    I didn't say it increases demand on pixel fill-rate, I said every pixel in that number needs to be rendered and ui elements are rendered on top of the game scene, before the whole 1680x1050 output is rendered to your screen.
    The point was that it is more work, which is something you knew before you decided to be pedantically wrong about it.
    UI elements are 2d. Even my pentium 4 had no issues with it.

If it decreases your FPS even by 1 then I have bad news to you.

To the people lamenting the idea that we might lose the ability to solo old raids, you're spoiled. You shouldn't be able to solo a raid, I shouldn't be able to solo a raid. Nobody should be able to solo a raid.
    The small perk of soloing old raids is not worth the cost of making a low level player into the equivalent of a critter for some max level asshole to 1-shot.
    Ah it explains why we are allowed to get inside raid zones without a group since 5.1
    Last edited by Thyranne; 2013-04-03 at 04:04 PM.

Deleted
    nobody cleared a goddamn thing in t5 gear

the top raiders on earth cleared naxx with SOME sunwell gear. naxx was an easy raid, a rehash and wasn't meant to be a challenge in any sense of the word. it was a time-buyer while they worked on hardmodes in ulduar.

they want the game to scale linearly 60-90 like it does 1-60, a single formula for all gear/mobs/bosses/etc. that means your level 90 heroic mode gear would be better htan the shit you get at 94 because you killed 8 rabbits for Farmer Dingdong
    So fucking well said. I felt so disappointed after i had to ditch raid gear for some green / blue quest garbage after cleaning up rabbit shit and washing yak's *eyesroll* Yeah raid gear and gladi gear should be better than the stuff you get next xpac for some trivial bs you do while questing, because you did heroic deeds to get it in the last xpac then when you start pvping and raiding, heroics again at 95 then you can exchange the gear again because you are accomplishing something. I'm totally fine with that.
    Also as some have already mentioned the large numbers are just hard on the eyes nothing more nothing less. If i would do 5k dps instead of 130k and the boss falls after the 15th attempt then i still feel stronger than before and i can still compare myself to the other dd's who are pulling 4,8k and 5,1k for example. I don't understand why some people get such a hard on for big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    UI elements are 2d. Even my pentium 4 had no issues with it.

If it decreases your FPS even by 1 then I have bad news to you.

Ah it explains why we are allowed to get inside raid zones without a group since 5.1
    you know the solo-raid group was an addon from WOTLK right lol? blizz copied that lua and called it content. it's great filler content that required almost nothing from blizzard

they discussed the squish in cata because it's coming 100% for sure and they know how the community works. when it happens it won't be a shock.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belz View Post
    Don't forget, that number squishing would kill old content soloing. So be careful with it

No It wouldn't. Quick overall boss health adjustment and everything is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    And people say wow's numbers are big.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    And people say wow's numbers are big.
    They think that few millions crits made on particular circumstances ... are making wow crash.

Hmbo!

my numbers don't like to be squished.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you know the solo-raid group was an addon from WOTLK right lol? blizz copied that lua and called it content. it's great filler content that required almost nothing from blizzard
    The point is, if they didn't want us soloing raids they'd not have implemented it. They'd not even allow us to have an addon like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    They think that few millions crits made on particular circumstances ... are making wow crash.

Hmbo!
    Yep, totally. I eagerly await the chance to crit quadrillions.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Yes. Not just a minor one bringing us down to cata numbers, a real one bringing us down to something like 5k dps in raid gear. I like to solo things and the squish will definitely fuck with that, but yet I still want 10 crit to mean something again.
    The squish would effect monsters too - 'OMG that mob has 1000 HP, make a 40 man raid'

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a problem myself with health numbers getting abbreviated form lets say 63837 to 63.8k, going from WotLK to Cata and now it seems that the 1M-roof is reachable (at least as a tank in 5.4gear or currently with cooldowns or in ICC (rofl, 1.4M with cds FTW)
    But at the same time, it was more an emotional attachedness that held me back from embracing it - in the end, if you have a range from 10 to 20 or from 10k to 20k, the only difference are the decimal points.
    I remember doing my first over100-crit, but also my first over 100k crit. and I will also remember my first 1m+ crit.

I think mostly ppl tend to get too attached to numbers, they could just strip down some decimal points across the board (0.01dmg crit for a lvl10 char anyone?)

EDIT: And it would feel weird having done 100k dps going back to 100dps, while being higher in lvl, ilvl etc. So NO, keep it that way - I don't really see a good answer that fits every bill, and I don't want to go back to a point where I can't solo LK HC 25.
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced