Poll: Do you want a "number squish" to happen?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes, by all means.

Massive numbers are horrific and feel cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    The squish would effect monsters too - 'OMG that mob has 1000 HP, make a 40 man raid'
    Why do people keep failing to see how soloing old raids WILL BE affected?

YOUR OWN LEVEL MONSTERS will be squished as hard as yourself, but old monster will be squished less, and following Blizzard's proposal, lvl 60 content and lower wouldnt be touched.

Is that really so hard to understand?

read the blog, watch the graph, think a little bit and you will realize how soloing old raids will be affected.

Just get used to big numbers, it may even be useful in the future when you have to make higher studies.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2013-04-03 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Why do people keep failing to see how soloing old raids WILL BE affected?

YOUR OWN LEVEL MONSTERS will be squished as hard as yourself, but old monster will be squished less, and following Blizzard's proposal, lvl 60 content and lower wouldnt be touched.

Is that really so hard to understand?

read the blog, watch the graph, think a little bit and you will realize how soloing old raids will be affected.

Just get used to big numbers, it may even be useful in the future when you have to make higher studies.
    You mean that graph that seems to be made by vaguely drawing coloured lines on a wacom tablet and hoping for the best?

The point is: That proposal wasn't met very favourably. The reason it wasn't is three-fold:
    A) People didn't like losing number size (e-peen).
    B) People didn't like losing the ability to solo content.
    C) (In my opinion the most important reason) It wouldn't actually solve anything, like scaling issues.

Now; Blizzard might still want to crunch numbers, and I applaud it, but think about it: How likely is it that they'd use this particular method that was neither actually in development, nor very much appreciated to begin with.

I also don't really see how 'adding a number of zeros behind an arbitrary number' is useful in 'higher studies.'

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of talk about people wanting a "number squish", as in, lowering the numbers across the board to avoid things like 20 billion HP bosses, 10 million HP tanks, 2 million DPS, etc. I've always thought "why does it matter, I like feeling stronger than I did last expansion". However, I've been trying to get my RL friend to get the game back, he hasn't played since Wrath and he was watching me play. He saw my DPS and how much HP I had, and then quickly decided "that's so stupid, i'm not getting this game back". I feel that's an absurd reason to not play a game.

Personally, I think a number squish would make people feel weaker and make more people angry than happy. I don't see any problems with big numbers, and it's nice to feel so much stronger than I was the previous expansion(s). The gear and strength grind is what keeps me going, much like it does in games like D3.

How do you feel about it?

They'll get used to it after 2 weeks. People always complain about everything, that doesn't mean it's a bad move.

Having 10 million HP and doing 1million crits is stupid. For anyone new to the game, it doesn't make sense. For anyone long in this game, it doesn't make sense either. And what does it matter? At some point the game and addons will be using k to abbreviate the numbers. Instead of 200000 damage, you will have done 200k. At that point you may as well just remove the k and get back to more sane numbers that human minds can comprehend at the first glance. Already this is the case with some combatlog addons or other addons like recount.

I'm all for the number squish. The sooner the better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Having seen several dozen of these threads over the last year, I'm perfectly happy to say that if they converted everything to percentages and stopped showing damage/healing visibly altogether I'd be quite content. That's way too radical a change but honestly I could not care less about what numbers are floating up my screen. I tend to show percentages in my UI in any case.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Numbers are getting bit too big. Crunch seems necessary but just I don't see any viable way of doing so

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    They'll get used to it after 2 weeks. People always complain about everything, that doesn't mean it's a bad move.

Having 10 million HP and doing 1million crits is stupid. For anyone new to the game, it doesn't make sense. For anyone long in this game, it doesn't make sense either.
    Why it doesn't make sense? Why would having 10k hp and doing 1k crit make more sense?

And what does it matter? At some point the game and addons will be using k to abbreviate the numbers. Instead of 200000 damage, you will have done 200k.
    Then you can just act like they squished the numbers.

At that point you may as well just remove the k and get back to more sane numbers that human minds can comprehend at the first glance. Already this is the case with some combatlog addons or other addons like recount.
    Then just use them. I wanna level up and feel stronger not level up and feel like nothing changed.

Never!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I enjoy the larger numbers, and I enjoy soloing old content.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    I wouldn't mind to see it in the next expac. I like being able to tell "average" DPS of a tier, but when numbers range from 100k-200k give or take, it's really hard to compare yourself to others.
    Not any harder than it is when numbers range from 100 to 200. Or 1000 to 2000.

There is no objective answer to whether or not there should be a number squish. Some people love the big numbers like myself, other don't. In the end it doesn't matter at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Why it doesn't make sense? Why would having 10k hp and doing 1k crit make more sense?
    Because are brains have an easier time imagining what smaller numbers mean. As in, if you're critting for 225 with an ability and auto attacks hit for 45, it's going to mean more to you than if you are critting for 2837482348726345728645784 and a normal hit is 183739235872604572864518.

Deleted
    In the moment the soloing of old content will be affected by this "number squish" I will stop paying subscription to Blizzard .

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Because are brains have an easier time imagining what smaller numbers mean. As in, if you're critting for 225 with an ability and auto attacks hit for 45, it's going to mean more to you than if you are critting for 2837482348726345728645784 and a normal hit is 183739235872604572864518.
    Sorry but 250000 is easier to read than 3,147.

It's also easier to balance a game with big numbers than small numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Having seen several dozen of these threads over the last year, I'm perfectly happy to say that if they converted everything to percentages and stopped showing damage/healing visibly altogether I'd be quite content. That's way too radical a change but honestly I could not care less about what numbers are floating up my screen. I tend to show percentages in my UI in any case.
    Lol they could just not show you your numbers but instead a big "Hit!", "Crit!"(in yellow) can pop up like the old Batman tv show. Pow! Bang! Zap!

I feel like the numbers do not matter, if everything is scaled then it doesn't affect players in any meaningful way and all this angst over it is just retarded.

Also, there is a good reason for it as the numbers in game are already absurdly bloated and every number is only quoted to 1-2 significant figures anyway, so why the hell do all those 0s on the end matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    You do realize ICC gives a 35% buff to health right?
    Yes I do. Doesn't change my sentence

10+ Year Old Account
    I want number reduced I remember when I started playing and it was no where near where its at now. The numbers where much lower and guess what............people were still happy

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah easier to balance for sure, but not too much easier. And I would say 250000 takes longer because you have to count zeros. And, it's a simple fact of nature that larger numbers are harder for the human brain to comprehend

Having 10 million HP and doing 1million crits is stupid. For anyone new to the game, it doesn't make sense. For anyone long in this game, it doesn't make sense either. And what does it matter? At some point the game and addons will be using k to abbreviate the numbers. Instead of 200000 damage, you will have done 200k. At that point you may as well just remove the k and get back to more sane numbers that human minds can comprehend at the first glance. Already this is the case with some combatlog addons or other addons like recount.

The "k" "m" "g" multipliers are the best way to go. FOr people who want a squish because they dont like large numbers they can ignore them and see all numbers less than 1000. For everyone else your character still progresses normally and you can still solo old raids.

If they do squish everything I will probably quit. I didnt level my characters so they could do less damage or healing than they did at 70.

As long as it doesn't hinder things such as soloing old raids and heroics, I wouldn't mind.

Rubbish. Once the numbers are in the thousands there is enough precision that it makes no difference to balance. The game engine itself goes down to fractions of a point in any case so it's irrelevant.

And it's not 250,000 vs. 3,147. It's 248,732 vs. 3,147. Which you quote as "250k" vs. "3.1k" - you're rounding to 2 significant figures regardless. Nobody gives a shit if you do 248,732 DPS or 248,733 DPS. Whether you realise it or not you're "squishing stats" in your head anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.