Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
    My retailer just got 5 Gainward cards on stock so I'll have mine tomorrow
    , consider yourself lucky.
    around here EVGA cards are nowhere to be found and the zotac ones arrived pretty much 2 weeks later compared to actual release iirc.
    the store where i got my titan i think it was the only SC edition they got delivered. (and been out of stock ever since for the past month without restock)

hope you get lucky in the sillicon lotery , mine overclocks like a champ. (1228 core clock )
    be sure to drop by in the post your gaming setup and perhaps the overclocking leaderboards

Hey, just wanted to pop back in for a little update and some questions:
    I received my titan 3 days ago and installed it, everything seems to be good so far, but I haven't had much time since then.

Anyways, I OCd my i7-3770k for the first time. I first went for 4.2 GHz @ 1.240V and it ran everything I do just fine. 2 days after I upped that to 4.5 GHz @1.245V. Did a 25m mainraid with browsing, music and teamspeak all going and it was running perfectly stable (apart from some hiccups @ Lei Shen which seemed to be caused by recount.

Sooo... after reading OC leaderboard, I guess I should a Prime95 test to see weither it's *truely* stable, is that right?
    And while we're at it, what's the voltage and temparature ceiling that I should aim for during *MY* "normal" load (say for example the case above, 25m raid - music - browsing - teamspeak)? During the raid yesterday the highest peak was 61°C. Can I push it further or should I let it stay there?

-- Edit:
    If this is too off-topic I'll create a new thread, but I thought I'd rather not
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2013-04-09 at 12:25 PM.

Deleted
    Hey, just wanted to pop back in for a little update and some questions:
    I received my titan 3 days ago and installed it, everything seems to be good so far, but I haven't had much time since then.

Anyways, I OCd my i7-3770k for the first time. I first went for 4.2 GHz @ 1.240V and it ran everything I do just fine. 2 days after I upped that to 4.5 GHz @1.245V. Did a 25m mainraid with browsing, music and teamspeak all going and it was running perfectly stable (apart from some hiccups @ Lei Shen which seemed to be caused by recount.

Sooo... after reading OC leaderboard, I guess I should a Prime95 test to see weither it's *truely* stable, is that right?
    And while we're at it, what's the voltage and temparature ceiling that I should aim for during *MY* "normal" load (say for example the case above, 25m raid - music - browsing - teamspeak)? During the raid yesterday the highest peak was 61°C. Can I push it further or should I let it stay there?

-- Edit:
    If this is too off-topic I'll create a new thread, but I thought I'd rather not
    prime 95 is to truly test if the OC is stable under the heaviest workload possible. (it will crap out if you got an unstable OC)
    1.245 seems a little on the high side for a 45 multiplier but this varies from chip to chip.
    61 degrees peak not sure what to think of that for a noctua NH-D14 but it isn't bad. (ivy just runs hotter compared to sandy)
    as for the voltage under normal load it shouldn't fluctuate much unless you have Vdroop enabled. (which on auto settings is likely)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    prime 95 is to truly test if the OC is stable under the heaviest workload possible. (it will crap out if you got an unstable OC)
    1.245 seems a little on the high side for a 45 multiplier but this varies from chip to chip.
    61 degrees peak not sure what to think of that for a noctua NH-D14 but it isn't bad. (ivy just runs hotter compared to sandy)
    as for the voltage under normal load it shouldn't fluctuate much unless you have Vdroop enabled. (which on auto settings is likely)
    Yea I didn't know what exactly to go for so I just started with 1.240V @ 4.2 GHz and decided to up it to 1.245V to go up to 4.5GHz as I figured I wouldn't be able to get there with 1.240V - maybe I would have, as I said I'm very unexperienced at this.

Say Prime95 runs stable for a few hours, should I try to just stay at 1.245V and up the multiplier without touching anything else? See how far I can get without reaching above 70°C during normal daily use with no BSoDs while also passing a Prime95 test?

What I'm having in mind atm on how to reach my overclock max. is the following:
    - Up multiplier with 1.245V until either:
    == A: I get BSoD -> up the voltage
    == B: I reach too high temperatures -> lower the voltage and see if it remains stable
    When I reach the point of "just under" BSoD while having temperatures that seem "normal" I reached the maximum I can get (and should lower it a little bit to ensure a good lifetime).

Is that the right thinking? Or am I missing something?

Cheers for the help btw

Deleted
    Yea I didn't know what exactly to go for so I just started with 1.240V @ 4.2 GHz and decided to up it to 1.245V to go up to 4.5GHz as I figured I wouldn't be able to get there with 1.240V - maybe I would have, as I said I'm very unexperienced at this.

Say Prime95 runs stable for a few hours, should I try to just stay at 1.245V and up the multiplier without touching anything else? See how far I can get without reaching above 70°C during normal daily use with no BSoDs while also passing a Prime95 test?

What I'm having in mind atm on how to reach my overclock max. is the following:
    - Up multiplier with 1.245V until either:
    == A: I get BSoD -> up the voltage
    == B: I reach too high temperatures -> lower the voltage and see if it remains stable
    When I reach the point of "just under" BSoD while having temperatures that seem "normal" I reached the maximum I can get (and should lower it a little bit to ensure a good lifetime).

Is that the right thinking? Or am I missing something?

Cheers for the help btw
    in a nutshell yes.
    just read some guides on it etc i wouldn't have a 24/7 overclock that runs above 80 degrees for example.
    a good ivy chip can reach 4.8 on 1,250 iirc

Deleted
    What's your goal with the OC Xcuse? Want to find the best you can do, or aiming for a specific speed?

Different ways to approach it, but generally you want your vcore to be as low as possible while remaining stable. This keeps temperatures as low as possible. Say you wanted to stay on 4.5GHz, you'll want to start running stability tests and lowering the voltage until you hit errors. On the other hand, if you wanted to find your maximum clock, you'd be better off setting voltage to say 1.2v and finding the biggest multiplier. Get it stable (see paragraph below this) and monitor temps. Do temps have headroom? If so, up the multiplier by 1 and start upping the voltage in TINY increments (0.005v can make a difference) until you successfully boot up. Then, start doing your stability dance again. Do you pass it all? Still low temps? Up multiplier again, moar vcore, etc etc etc.

You'll generally want to stay 20 degrees below your maximum temperature to keep it safe.

The closer you get to your target, the better you want your stability tests to be. I did most of the finding-my-multiplier with a standard few-minute-long IntelBurnTest. As soon as I started getting closer to my target, I upped IntelBurnTest from normal to high, very high etc. Once it passes that, you'll want to run Prime95 for at least an hour. To get in the mmo-c leaderboards, an 8hour prime run is required.

Keep in mind that temperatures in Prime95 (and IBT) will reach levels that you generally won't reach while gaming. My 8 hour prime run topped at 84c, while during games I never peak above ~65c.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    1.4Ghz clock says WHAAAAAT? The eBuyer one at £1400 is clocked at that speed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    1.4Ghz clock says WHAAAAAT? The eBuyer one at £1400 is clocked at that speed.
    link? can't seem to find it.
    however i doubt any titan comes out of the factory with such an overclock.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    link? can't seem to find it.
    however i doubt any titan comes out of the factory with such an overclock.
    That's the clock they're shipping the SC £1400 one with, according to their site.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    What's your goal with the OC Xcuse? Want to find the best you can do, or aiming for a specific speed?
    Just getting the best performance out of my rig without risking any damage.

4.6GHz @ 1.240V atm (was sure I had this on 1.245V before, but CPU-Z is telling me a constant 1.240V, gonna have to double check). Seems stable for the past hour of gaming. 60°C peak temp. during Oondasta (about 45 people). Seems good

Deleted
    Just getting the best performance out of my rig without risking any damage.

4.6GHz @ 1.240V atm (was sure I had this on 1.245V before, but CPU-Z is telling me a constant 1.240V, gonna have to double check). Seems stable for the past hour of gaming. 60°C peak temp. during Oondasta (about 45 people). Seems good
    Sounds like you got a fairly nice chip. Although, the real scary temperatures come a-knockin' when doing a proper torture test. (Hence the name, heheh.)