Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How do you practice/get better at pvp?

I've been playing this game for about 7 years now. And i've never really got into PvP. Ofcourse i did a few BG's, and i've done maybe about 50 arena's in my entire wow carreer. I've allways had the feeling i sucked at pvp, and never gonna be good at it (for that reason i didnt play alot, and didnt find it that fun to do).

At this point im leveling a mage. With the sole intention to play alot of PvP and get good at it. But what is the best aproach for it? I play alot of starcraft at masters level, and i only got good at it by practicing, watching replays, understand your mistakes. How to do that with PvP? Watching class guides helps a little to understand your class, but PvP (especially arena) is so much more than just knowing your class.

So i would like to get a few tips from you guys, how did you guys get better? i mean, you didnt start playing and had 2.4k raiting right away right?

please share your thoughts/ways of doing it!

thx!!

I was never really into PvP until this expac. Sure I got all the PVP-related holiday achieves done on my main, but I never liked it nor understood how others could like it... until I made a horde character. Besides the fact that warlocks rock, having decently organized people with minimal amounts of bots helped a lot.

The thing about PvP is that it takes a lot of split-second reactions, kinda like how some of the top raiding guilds might be while going after world firsts. It is kinda frustrating, but after awhile you get used to it, and it does help in PvE as well.

The only thing I can suggest is keep doing random bg's, get the honor and conquest needed to gear up and learn your rotation well. Once you're geared and competent, you're already better than most of the other team (alliance is only good in the 40-man's, I suggest getting AV and IoC checked off on your random queue ui). By doing chain bg's, you can learn what classes are capable of what abilities. What classes are you better against? What pets, demons, or abilities of yours do you have to go up against those classes? Do you have lots of interrupts available? What about a shield or reflect spell ability? Chain stuns? Fears? Can you remove movement-impairing effects? Can you heal yourself quickly and efficiently? There's lots of thing to take into consideration and I would suggest leveling a character from level 10 to 90 on mostly random bg's. It will help you refine your skill and learn to anticipate how the other team will act.

As for arenas? Hate em... too concentrated, too easily squashed, I need big numbers for my aoe and burning ember generations. Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Redlokyldoreifanggore; 2013-04-03 at 09:17 AM.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Literally just PvP.
    Play multiple classes, or learn about them so you know what's up.

And play what you want to play.
    I love arena the most, and I have over 40,000 arenas played across my two rets, warrior and DK.

Deleted
    - learn from (your) mistakes ( going thru what went wrong with your arena partner(s) rather than play the blame game )
    - know your class and every class inside out to know what they do
    - COMMUNICATION

just those 3 will get you started just fine, stuff like situational awareness and positioning in arena comes later when you played enough games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do a lot of BG's and even duels with good players, ask some good players for some advice. Also watch videos on youtube/twitch with the best players to see how they play and what they do. Most of all you learn by doing though, so just play a lot ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mainly about playing a lot and getting experience with all that's happening. Myself I've spend hundredths, if not thousands of hours PvPing, having over 4000 arena games played on just my main warlock with roughly 8000 games played total.
    Other than that, reading up what other classes have up their sleeves and watching streams help as well.

Now, the biggest tip I can give, which is the best tip I've ever received myself, is to record your own gameplay and to watch it later. See where you screwed up and learn from those mistakes.

Do much PvP. Getting busted in arenas is frustrating, but you can begin with normal BGs. At the beginning run with the mass, but then do some solo actions. Don't be the one guy who appears when the opponent was brought to 20% HP by another player and execute him, rather run into a group 2-3 players and outplay them. CC one, kite the other while shooting him down, keep yourself alive. Win by outplaying and not by randomly oneshotting. If you start getting acceptable look for tricks, tips and playing styles that work for other players. Watch PvPers of your class stream or watch their videos.

Really, the key is doing shit tons of PvP, you will get better. Someday you can step into arena (without being smashed!)with somewhat good players vs somewhat good players and the learning efficiency will be better than in random BGs .

Deleted
    Thx for all the reactions thusfar! I'm really excited to get started and progres =) Just have to find some people to play pvp with on my server. im on Outland EU atm. All my friends are PvE junkies (like i used to be haha).

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Now, the biggest tip I can give, which is the best tip I've ever received myself, is to record your own gameplay and to watch it later. See where you screwed up and learn from those mistakes.
    This is a very usefull tip! i can record myself with Xsplit or fraps, and not only watch it myself, but i can also show it to good people who might be able to give me good tips! thx for the input!

my 2 cents - get rid of clicking asap if u do it in pve. literally everything needs to be hotkeyed. also, starting a new class, its important to hotkey resemblant spells to the same button. for instance - i interrupt with my "4" button since vanilla, root with "c", rend, SWP, moonfire with "3" etc. good luck =)

Deleted
    Reroll mage... always get the most imbalanced spells coupled with a built in nerf-resistance as long as Ghostcrawler plays one.
    I did so, but my justified hate against this class prevents me from being successfull with it.

Edit: Funny the TS already mentioned it^^
    Last edited by mmoc8b1766084d; 2013-04-03 at 11:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenobaal View Post
    Reroll mage... always get the most imbalanced spells coupled with a built in nerf-resistance as long as Ghostcrawler plays one.
    I did so, but my justified hate against this class prevents me from being successfull with it.

Mages are awesome in arena and imo easy to play. They have lots of spells to burst

Deleted
    Practice a lot, check out how those who really succeed do.

If you need someone to practice with send a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenobaal View Post

Leveling a mage for the sole purpose of playing pvp! So i've made the right choise it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazookaberit View Post
    Practice a lot, check out how those who really succeed do.

If you need someone to practice with send a PM and we'll see if we can work something out.
    Thx! First i'll have to hit 90.. but will be preparing as much as possible, so i don't start as a total noobie
    Will keep your offer in mind! Really want to spend alot of time progressing!

Are there any good mage streams i could watch? (i rarely watch WoW stream).

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    So i would like to get a few tips from you guys, how did you guys get better? i mean, you didnt start playing and had 2.4k raiting right away right?
    Actually, that's about right.. I found that was about the point where reacting to things without addons and not learning every classes full tool kit started to become an issue.

As others have said, playing multiple classes is the best way to learn what they're capable of, as well as seeing how other people/classes counter them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do more PVP, Duel more people, try practice certain situations with friends, put yourself in dangerous situations and see how you go, play other classes and get a grasp of how they all work.

Get to know your binds well, get used to using certain niche moves in situations. I've found that to be a big one.

Deleted
    First of all, never click. You need some proper keybinds. Add some decent macros especially if you're healer and go steady with dps for 2's/3's to instantly dispell them. Get some addons such as "Juked" (The new interrupt bar) and Gladius.

After all of that is done. Just play, play a lot. Do battlegrounds, to arenas, do duells and RBG's. As better the people you're playing against as more you're forced to improve.

You can fully master your class in PVE but be completely overwhelmed in PVP if you don't know what other classes are capable of. That was my biggest issue when I started focusing on PVP. I had only played 2 classes ever, and both were PVE melee, so I didn't have a good grasp of other classes. You need to get familiar with their CC's, damage CDs, defensive CDs, length of cooldowns, etc. You need experience to be able to anticipate what your opponent will do, and eventually get to the point where you can predict what they will do and then fool them into thinking you are going to do something that you aren't. Only way to do this is to play A LOT. Hard for anyone to be good at arena or BGs when if you have only played <100 games. You will get flak from assholes that make fun of your rating at first, but everyone had to start somewhere so don't feel bad about losing when you have played 50 games and your opponent has played 5000.

Keybind, and possibly get a gaming mouse with lots of buttons. You need to practice until the bindings are etched into muscle memory.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    i kill people doing dailies and hold back cds. imo dueling is ok but getting attacked w/o warning helps the most. its all about reaction time and knowing what the other class is capable of.
    You cared enough to post.

World PvP: Raw uninhibited pvp with many factors at play.
    Dueling: No better way to learn classes and their weaknesses / strengths than this.
    BG: till you want to rip your eyes out. Learn that being a "Hero" isn't always the best way to win.
    Arena: Nothing makes you focus harder than this group-up.
    Live streams: You can pick-up quite the tips and tricks from some of the top players in the world. This is basically like your research portion of PvP, .