Thread: [WW] 2h vs 1h?

Deleted

[WW] 2h vs 1h?

Hi, i've noticed that most monk players play dual wield 1h rather than 2h. Can anyone tell me why it it better with one handed and how much better it is, because for some reason i always get the 2h weaps from instances

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    BrM: Smoother stacks of EB

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinchib View Post
    BrM: Smoother stacks of EB
    Thnx for the reply, but im playing as a WW not a BrM

It comes down to the original passive buff of fighting style (forget the actual name and I cant link it cause im at work).

dual wielding comes out to approx 1% ahead of dual wield while on par weapon lvl.
    It could also be the Dancing steel procs

All I know is that if u dont have dual wield weapons at an equal lvl of the 2 hander then dont bother using them.

From personal experience I was using 522 animus mace/502 heroic garakal fist until last week where I got lei shen's polearm (sucks our druid took a night off but w.e)

As soon as I get another mace/the fist weapon off consorts I will be switching back. It doesnt make the biggest difference though

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Dual Wielding is a bit better, but honestly 2h feels much better. Goes for all classes who can dual-wield, well minus rogues obviously :P

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Thnx so much In my case i have a 2h with 483 ilvl and my one hands are 483 and 463. Is it better to use the two hand in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Michster View Post
    Thnx so much In my case i have a 2h with 483 ilvl and my one hands are 483 and 463. Is it better to use the two hand in this case?
    2 hander.

A good way to look at it is for every 4 itm lvls ur OH is lower than ur MH subtract 1 from your weapon ilvl.

so 483-463 = 20 divided by 4 = 5 brings ur dual wield ilvl to 478.

*edit* also in terms of the legendary gem not sure if you are able to aquire it yet but it typically counts for 2-3 ilvls making any upgrade surpass it now that you cant upgrade gear anymore.

Weapon dps is a ww's greatest upgrade

Deleted
    Thanks so much for all respons it helped me out alot!

Deleted
    so 483-463 = 20 divided by 4 = 5 brings ur dual wield ilvl to 478.
    With 10 ILvL it difference it would be better : /

I like the look of the staff on a monk with the jab glyph, good thing I'm not a heroic raider, I can use it even though it's not optimal

Quote Originally Posted by LotaGeek View Post
    With 10 ILvL it difference it would be better : /
    really? 483-473 = 10 divided by 4 = 2.5 brings dual wield to 480.5 compared to a 483.

You are going to lose weapon dps if you are using a 483 main hand and anything lower than that as an off hand against a 483 2 hander. Your weapon dps is your strongest dps increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Areohotah View Post
    really? 483-473 = 10 divided by 4 = 2.5 brings dual wield to 480.5 compared to a 483.

You are going to lose weapon dps if you are using a 483 main hand and anything lower than that as an off hand against a 483 2 hander. Your weapon dps is your strongest dps increase.
    Except that MH and OH dps are not itemized equally.

Pulled from Elitist Jerks
    Dual wield is (almost always) king. Here's a basic idea of how to choose your weapon:
    You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed weapon that is ten item levels or less above both. Choice: dual wield. The difference between the two hand and dual wielding will be arbitrary at best.
    You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed wepaon that is more than ten item levels above your main hand. Choice: two-hander. The difference in stats and weapon damage on the two-hander should be significant enough to show a difference between it and your mainhand.
    Your Main Hand is the item level of current tier (let's say 496, which is Tier 14 "normal") and your offhand is that same main hand's Looking For Raid Version (let's say 483). A 496 staff drops. Choice: dual wield. Even with a worse Offhand, the differenge is neglible at best, and dual wield should still pull ahead.
    Your Main Hand is the item level of the current tier (we'll say 496 again), but your offhand is from a previous tier (let's say 463). A two hander drops of item level 496. Choice: It depends. This is actually a more complicated question, simply because of the difference between your offhand and your mainhand. Theoretically, however, it would be advised to use the two-hander, but try to find a better offhand
    So in other words, the choice between a 483/463 DW combo vs a 483 staff, the staff would be better. However, if it was a 483 staff vs a 483/476 DW combo, DW would be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, holy cow, I am being referenced. Let me grow on the referenced section. Hopefully this comes out right - I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment.

That particular section was written while simming two combos - a staff of iLevel 496 against a combo of a 496 MH and a 476 OH. The DW combo did come out on top, which is where the piece you are referencing comes. But, you ARE absolutely correct that MH and OH dps are NOT itemized the same - your MH's weapon damage is considered more than your OH's (your OH's DPS only counts toward 50% of scaling), but I did make a mistake in some of my math in that your OH's DPS scales a bit faster than its agility does (however, its secondaries are STILL very important - you could end up with a staff with +hit/+crit, for example, which may be weaker than a DW haste+mastery in both slots).

This IS where I would personally sim the two combinations to decide which would work better for you. Personally, if it were 483/463 vs. 2H, I'd probably go with the 2H depending on a myriad of things.

Because, basically: weapons are a bit complicated, and there's no "right" rule of thumb, just the general idea that your MH and OH need to be within a certain range before a staff of the same iLevel becomes stronger. However, keep in mind that our stat weight for weapon DPS is FAR above the stat weight for secondaries and Agility. The other thing to keep in mind is that our RPPM trinkets do NOT scale from the added attack speed from using a 2H - sad truth is, that adds to some of the disparity between it and DW.

Tl;Dr: Staff vs. DW is complicated, and while DW will TYPICALLY win out, the best way to decide between the two is to test it via Sims if possible.

Well now I'm confused, in my case, would the 502 staff(too much hit) win, or the 502+483(with 500agi gem) win?

Quote Originally Posted by manu9 View Post
    Well now I'm confused, in my case, would the 502 staff(too much hit) win, or the 502+483(with 500agi gem) win?
    With such a gap between the MH and OH, as alysmera mentioned, something like would probably need to be simmed to be sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, sim that! Because the 502 I assume will not have a Sha socket? Depends on the 502 that you have - MSV 502 is absolute crap, but the LFR 502s aren't.... bad. I guess.

Weapons just have a lot of factors for us, especially in the situation you're in. I'd personally just stick with DW, but it doesn't hurt to test/sim it for an actual answer.

I got a Zeng's Ancient Kegsmasher yesterday and did some sims.

The weapons(all with dancing steel):
    522 Jalak's Mealstrom Staff + prismatic socket
    522 Zeng's Ancient Kegsmasher + prismatic socket
    510 Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder
    504 Claws of Shek'zeer + 500agi + prismatic socket

Since I was using Rune of Re-Origination the value of the prismatic sockets might be slightly inflated.

Results on a patchwork fight:

1. Zeng's+Claws : 150600
    2. Zeng's+Gara'kal: 149200
    3. Jalak's : 145200

Dancing steel uptime on Jalak's was ~50%, the dual wield combos had ~50% for each weapon, that's probably the biggest contribution to the discrepancy since the re-origination procs were pretty much the same.