Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which would you preferr in a 10man, SVHunter or AffLock ?

So as the title suggests this is a preferment post, I currently have a SVHunter iLvL 496, I have done a few ten man raids, but I want to change things up, and I am levelling an Affliction Warlock. Now I would prefer to stick to one in all honesty, will be hunter until I have the Lock matching atleast.

But if you were given the option and I was the last man and neither clad where in the 10man who which class would you prefer ?

Atm locks are head and shoulders above hunters, dps-wise. Warlocks are at the very top along with mages, while all hunter specs are in the bottom. So from that perspective it's an easy choice. Ofc balancing hotfixes, buffs, nerfs can happen at any time so there are never any guarantees for the future. You should also take into consideration what kind of comp your raid is running atm, in order to maximize things like buff/debuff coverage, loot distribution etc. And last but not least, which class you enjoy the most yourself.

Deleted
    I would go with the lock. The defensive abilities you have are amazing, your single target is higher than hunter, and multi dotting is king, they have one of the best slows in game they bring demonic portal and healthstone.

Unless you need the hunter for a buff/debuff. Go warlock.

Deleted
    Not really what I was looking for. I am asking what each individual would prefer, I am aware that Locks give the 10%spell/10%stam buff and hunts only give 10%attpow, but hunters are more mobile which on a number of occasions have saved me. So just to clarify really I am looking for people's personal opinions, and for what ever reason they chose that one.

I am personally inclined to say lock for a number of reasons,utility they bring a bunch, more buff an more DPS bug there mobility is terrible 70% for channeled movement with glyph, in a number of fights that can be critical.

Deleted
    Warlock, for portal, healthstones. Sidenote, they usually do more dps - obviously depends on player but they should.

Quote Originally Posted by SerDigBick View Post
    Not really what I was looking for. I am asking what each individual would prefer, I am aware that Locks give the 10%spell/10%stam buff and hunts only give 10%attpow, but hunters are more mobile which on a number of occasions have saved me. So just to clarify really I am looking for people's personal opinions, and for what ever reason they chose that one.

I am personally inclined to say lock for a number of reasons,utility they bring a bunch, more buff an more DPS bug there mobility is terrible 70% for channeled movement with glyph, in a number of fights that can be critical.
    Locks, hands down. n every fight I've done so far in mists they the clear winner. While there is plenty of movement in this tier, none of it requires you to move quickly. 70% is perfectly fine. Hunters can mitigate physical attacks but are much worse at mitigating non-attack damage, which is really the majority of the raid damage in any fight.

If you asked me lock vs mage, I'd say *probably* the lock for the raid utility if you need it, but in terms of class performance in combat they're close. Compared to a hunter? No contest.

Deleted
    Thanks guys, I am still hoping to just here other people's opinions on this but It does seem to be a one horse race.

Deleted
    The only downside to locks is that they share loot with more class types than hunters. Otherwise their raid utility and personal survivability are all higher. Locks have a huge bag of tricks in this expansion. Plus they parse higher on most DPS.

One thing I would consider is what loot types are currently present in your raid though. If you have 3-4 clothies and zero mail users I'd prefer to play the hunter for obvious reasons. If all things are equal then locks win out atm.

Unless you need a hunter for mail agility loot, there is absolutely 0 reason to ever use one on anything.

It really depends on the group composition as a whole.

I like having a hunter in a 10 man simply because you can fill in any of those buffs that we're missing with the right pet selection. I like locks for their bag of tricks - portals and summoning closets and cookies.

Locks really seem to be Flavor Of The Moment right now, though. Everyone I know has a lock alt.

So if both our lock and hunter were out and you were coming in as a sub, I would probably ask you to bring the hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    On top of everything else mentioned about locks they also bring a Brez, which hunters obviously do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Depends on your lineup really.

I'd say hunter, since he can provide any buff the raid is missing

As others have said it depends on the raid comp. If you are missing buffs or lust then the hunter. If you have lots of cloth users but no agility users again the hunter. If your raid group is balanced in terms of loot and you have all the buffs then the lock. Their DPS is way higher against single target and multi-target and they bring stones, lock ports, can summon and all sorts of good stuff. Also a battle rez is nice if you lack one.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    As others have said it depends on the raid comp. If you are missing buffs or lust then the hunter. If you have lots of cloth users but no agility users again the hunter. If your raid group is balanced in terms of loot and you have all the buffs then the lock. Their DPS is way higher against single target and multi-target and they bring stones, lock ports, can summon and all sorts of good stuff. Also a battle rez is nice if you lack one.
    I was just going to answer pretty much exactly this. Another big bonus I've been noticing is the added benefit of being able to soulstone themselves and mass rez... We are doing a lot less running and a lot more pixelmonster killing since getting a warlock.

Hunters outDPSing other classes in every AOE fight, in decent gear 515+ ilvl we are a bit behind of rogues/mages/wlocks on single target fights. We can bring ANY buff/debuff.

Its just 2 different classes, play one you like. But i also go as hunter, due to we have less competitors on a loot.

i don't care. whichever one is going to show up and be prepared and try.

if you're not world top 100, what class you play means fuck all

10+ Year Old Account
    affliction is not good spec atm . if you play destro then it's better .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    On top of everything else mentioned about locks they also bring a Brez, which hunters obviously do not.

I believe the quilen pet has an instant cast battleress spell. (Requires the hunter to be BM though)

Edit: Eternal Guardian
    Last edited by Calz; 2013-04-03 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Unless you need a hunter for mail agility loot, there is absolutely 0 reason to ever use one on anything.
    Despite maybe that some bosses are nearly impossible in 10m without a hunter and that hunter is one of the best DPS classes in 10m and has a ton of utility and buffs, sure then you might be right with the loot also...
    Why do people like you always post shit, I don't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandacally View Post
    Despite maybe that some bosses are nearly impossible in 10m without a hunter and that hunter is one of the best DPS classes in 10m and has a ton of utility and buffs, sure then you might be right with the loot also...
    Why do people like you always post shit, I don't get it?
    I haven't done any 10m normal fights yet due to a multitude of issues but what fights require a hunter to complete? This seems like BS as I doubt Blizz would design an encounter that requires any class. Also, what utility do they bring outside of being able to bring buffs. Lastly, I believe locks are better DPSers in both single and multi-target fights given equal gear and skill.