Poll: Someone asks a questionn in Trade. What is your reaction?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Someone asks a question in Trade.

Good afternoon fellow MMO-Champion-ers!

Looooooong time lurker, very recent poster, first time thread-creator here!

We all talk about how the community has gone to the shitter, bla bla bla, it's not like vanilla, bla bla bla. My question, to the MMO-Champion community, is simple and straightforward.

Someone asks a question in Trade chat. What do you do?

I will try to add an unbiased poll, but this is my 1st thread ever, so I'll probably make a mess of it. If anyone could help out, it'd be appreciated!

Do you troll them? If yes, is it some innocent playful trolling, or being a downright asshat? Do you answer them to the best of your ability? Do you ignore them? Would you go out of your way to explain to them? If you do decide to answer, do you do it publicly in Trade chat, or in whisper? Obviously this changes on a case-by-case basis, so I'll just add a few assumptions for the sake of simplicity! If you do decide to answer, do you do it publicly in Trade chat, or in whisper?

1) You know the answer to the question, off the top of your head, so YOU don't have to do ANY research, since the question invokes knowledge that you already have.
    2) You're not doing something particularly demanding - you're not in the middle of an arena match, say, or doing an interview on Teamspeak, you're just chilling in Org maybe browsing the AH, tidying up your bank, mogging shit etc.
    3) You cannot tell if the person asking the question is indeed trolling or genuinely clueless about the topic he's asking about.

Please please please please be honest when answering, in order to get an unbiased poll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Good afternoon fellow MMO-Champion-ers!

Looooooong time lurker, very recent poster, first time thread-creator here!

We all talk about how the community has gone to the shitter, bla bla bla, it's not like vanilla, bla bla bla. My question, to the MMO-Champion community, is simple and straightforward.

Someone asks a question in Trade chat. What do you do?

I will try to add an unbiased poll, but this is my 1st thread ever, so I'll probably make a mess of it. If anyone could help out, it'd be appreciated!

Do you troll them? If yes, is it some innocent playful trolling, or being a downright asshat? Do you answer them to the best of your ability? Do you ignore them? Would you go out of your way to explain to them? If you do decide to answer, do you do it publicly in Trade chat, or in whisper? Obviously this changes on a case-by-case basis, so I'll just add a few assumptions for the sake of simplicity! If you do decide to answer, do you do it publicly in Trade chat, or in whisper?

1) You know the answer to the question, off the top of your head, so YOU don't have to do ANY research, since the question invokes knowledge that you already have.
    2) You're not doing something particularly demanding - you're not in the middle of an arena match, say, or doing an interview on Teamspeak, you're just chilling in Org maybe browsing the AH, tidying up your bank, mogging shit etc.
    3) You cannot tell if the person asking the question is indeed trolling or genuinely clueless about the topic he's asking about.

Please please please please be honest when answering, in order to get an unbiased poll.
    If I know the answer I tell them, if I dont know, I keep my mouth shut. My rules for life really >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Paq View Post
    If I know the answer I tell them, if I dont know, I keep my mouth shut. My rules for life really >.>
    Alright, fair enough. Bear in mind, you do not know this person, you've never encountered them ever before in your WoW career. (something I forgot to add above)

No poll yet.

As i am a nice guy (mostly, can change drastically if circumstances change) i would answer them the correct answer. Eitehr through /trade or via whisper.
    BUT it also plays a role WHO asks and HOW and WHAT.

Questions about the obvious i wont answer as i always fear just to feed a troll.
    Questions of people that are on my ignore list are not visible to me so i cant answer them.
    Questions in a bad manner (e.G. "would some bloody sucker tell me where i can get X?"

I got help in /trade quite often so naturally i want to pay it back and answer questions if i am able to.

Still remebering the day when i first met a city (SW) and couldnt find out anymore since i didnt know about the feature of a MAP. I asked in /trade if someone could help me out of the city again (after trying 30 minutes). I found help, yeah and my first guild

Forgot to add lads, when voting, also post a brief comment as well if you want!

Deleted
    Most of the time i w/ the player who asked the question and answer to the best of my knowledge, unless of course I do not know the answer.

I never assume the person is trolling (unless it's obvious) even if the question regards some basic stuff everyone would know about.

i usually send them a tell instead of replying in trade, and i answer them with the correct information - no trolling

Nice..nice...15 people voted already! Keep the inflow of data coming people! 15 more and Central Limit Theorem can start kicking in, and PLEASE keep your votes honest! Makes a world of a difference!

Depends on the way they ask.
    Mostly just replying in a helpfull manner, but if they go all out caps lock, they will be trolled.
    Same goes for people asking the same question several times in row, within a few seconds.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I don't play WoW any longer, but when I was playing, if I knew the answer, I would whisper them and answer their question. If I didn't know the answer and people were blatantly trolling them in trade chat I would whisper them to direct them to a more reliable source of information - usually though, if I couldn't answer a question myself off the bat, I would not respond.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    it would greatly depend on what the question is but usually i will troll lightly and after i had my fun give them the correct answer :P

Moved to General Discussions, as it pertains to World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends HEAVILY on how someone asks.

If it is a legitimate question asked in a polite manner I will also respond in that way. But that happens so rarely nowadays....

If the question is full of grammar and spelling errors, worded like even a toddler would be ashamed of etc., I will troll the hell out of the one asking it.

Thank you all for your replies! Kudos to the dudes/dudettes who voted the 3rd option, it is true that sometimes people ask such STUPID (subjective version of stupid) questions that make us want to /facepalm...so thanks for voting on what you'd truly do.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just answer them if it's a question i can help with, i see no reason not too, Even if it seems to me to be a really stupid question that they should know the answer too I'll answer them properly, no point trolling them over it, When i started this game (like most people) i asked some pretty stupid questions, Everything is simple once you know the answer, but you have to find out the answer to know it

Deleted
    if i see a real question, i allways try to answer them, i do it in a whisper. Due to then i show that he can write back to me. But ofc sometimes when people ask a REALLY stupid question, i mean the kind you could answer just by writting it on youtube, or wowhead, i give a troll answer in the trade chat, but then i 90% of the time also whisper him the correct answer, or whisper that he can find the answer on fx wowhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Depends HEAVILY on how someone asks.

If it is a legitimate question asked in a polite manner I will also respond in that way. But that happens so rarely nowadays....

If the question is full of grammar and spelling errors, worded like even a toddler would be ashamed of etc., I will troll the hell out of the one asking it.
    Acceptable, but think of this - English is not everyone's first language. Not everyone has the luxury to express oneself in perfect English grammar, both in terms of syntax and punctuation. I used to hold the same view as you - I believed someone's skills in grammar and punctuation were heavily correlated with their character traits & skills. Years later I realized though that this was not the case, and assuming things based on something like knowledge of the English language is heavily biased at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh that's easy for me. I wouldn't do anything as I wouldn't see the question in the first place. I left Trade and General long ago, during the whole Dirge episode.

If I can answer I pst this person. If I can't I just stay quiet.

Keep the votes flowing people...we're above 30, Central Limit Theorem can kick in, and I can finally start working on the statistical analysis The more votes the better, so keep it up!