My guild is asking me to heal D:

So I have been elemental for quite some time, and I really enjoy it. Over the past few weeks I had been asked to OS heal on a few encounters or when we had an attendance issue. However, last night my raid leader asked if I could take a permanent healing spot after he asked me to OS heal Hjin. I have no idea what I am doing and our best Shaman healer is MIA. I don't think i'll ever be able to compete with him, but I don't want to let my GM or anyone else down, What should I do?

Deleted
    Be honest to them and that u will need some time to adapt to healing (if you are gonna do it)

Anything can be learned, I guess the question is more do you enjoy healing enough that you would be interested in filling the roll they need? If you absolutely hate healing then it probably shouldn't be something you should feel you have to do. After all this is a game and should be fun as most of us are not playing hardcore mode. As far as "being able to compete" with your top shammy healer you would be doing more healing than him if he doesn't show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you liked the healing style of shaman, go ahead and practice a bit, ask some questions and get a feel for healing. Which heal to use when, proper timing of CDs and such. Over time, you'll just react and won't have to think about what you're doing anymore.

If you don't like the thought of healing, then you should tell that to your GM. Or maybe you can come to an agreement that you'll be filling in until he can find a replacement? I doubt that raid leader will want to lose a good dps.

A raider who goes MIA can't expect to not be replaced after a few weeks when they don't inform the GM of a longer absence.

I take it you're raiding 25-man, seeing as you write "our best shaman healer", which implies that there's more than just one. Healing 25-man is easier than healing a 10-man raid, especially when you're new at the job. Remember to Unleash Elements before you drop a healing rain, use Riptide on CD, use Chainheal on a cluster of people when you need to AoE-heal and drop heals on tanks or other players when they dip lower than you like them to. Oh and see to it that you keep your Earthshield on a tank, preferably one that is actively tanking at that point in time. That's the basics of it. And keep an eye on your CDs. Use them when you feel you need to or use them according to the rotation that your raid leader calls out. If you're feeling pro, you can also try and keep up Ancestral Vigor on the tanks by using your Riptides on them regularly.

(In contrast to that, 10-man shifts your focus from AoE-heals more towards single-target spells which may make it hectic if you're not used to it. Whack-a-mole with single-target heals with a Chainheal or Healing Rain sprinkled in if the raid is positioned in a way that'll allow efficient use of it - and we all know how much people are running around in ToT.)

And... apparently your raid leader thinks quite highly of your healing skills. Because if you hadn't done well, he'd surely not have asked you to make it your mainspec, right?
    Last edited by Seriss; 2013-04-03 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykkuu View Post
    So I have been elemental for quite some time, and I really enjoy it. Over the past few weeks I had been asked to OS heal on a few encounters or when we had an attendance issue. However, last night my raid leader asked if I could take a permanent healing spot after he asked me to OS heal Hjin. I have no idea what I am doing and our best Shaman healer is MIA. I don't think i'll ever be able to compete with him, but I don't want to let my GM or anyone else down, What should I do?
    Do you enjoy healing? I ask because I've found that there is nothing more toxic to building a raid team than pressuring people to play roles they don't enjoy. They usually burn out faster than everyone else or just never get very good at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    Do you enjoy healing? I ask because I've found that there is nothing more toxic to building a raid team than pressuring people to play roles they don't enjoy. They usually burn out faster than everyone else or just never get very good at it.
    pressuring people into roles they don't enjoy...pressuring people...pressure...

if you enjoy it then by all means go resto.
    if you do not like it, and if the eustress of healing is stressful instead for you, then go ahead and tell your RL, "i will take a temporary healing position but i love dps to much to give it up, and i'd like to be able to roll on my ele bis items as MAINSPEC" still (i.e jewelry / trinkets that might be considered caster only because hit or no spirit)

doing it temporarily if it's for the guild is fine, but doing something you dislike on a permanent basis..no...

edit:
    along with some of the other advice i see on this thread, glyph of totemic recall, omg awesomeness.
    healing stream wait to 0-2 seconds on timer, and recall, get all your mana back, same if you pop an ele to help damage, recall it
    can do it multiple times per fight for pretty lucrative mps gains(along with other utilities, but each recall is over 10k mana for healing stream can get a lot of those out per fight, it because much much better than a mana potion - and doesn't use potion cd XD)
    also valor trinket mana regen is sexy, healing pot on a 3m cd, can use it 3x most fights(30s - 1m in when you are still at 95% mana, then 2 more times) for most fights....
    pop first mana tide when you and other healers first start hitting 80% mana, this tides over and helps later on when you start hurting more....

all i got right now for mana conservation...also people underrate crit for mana regen...but that's just me lol, no DO NOT stack it...but def don't avoid.
    Last edited by Christan; 2013-04-03 at 02:23 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I'll jsut give you my experience in the same situation. I loved Elemental and my guild had me go healing and I hated it. I ended up losing every ounce of enjoyment in WoW and flat out quit for a year before I even felt like playing again. Do what you find fun, even if it costs you a raid spot.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Play the way you want to play. You pay the 15 bucks a month not your guild. If they appriciate you as a player and a guild member they will let you remain DPS and just recruit a new healer.

you want a bunch of nobodies online to like you because you helped them get shit or do you want to get $15/month out of wow
    you obviously don't want to heal, it's boring and requires whack-a-mole on raid frames. it's pathetic these days and by far the most mindless part of the game. that's why nobody wants to heal

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ill be honest, Fizz is right lol. Aside from SA a lack in numbers for healing can be made up for by wasteing a little more mana. I played a healer for all of a month once and I hated it, I did good though because I wasted mana to make up for my lack of gear but substituted the loss of mana for takeing the risk of smacking a few things in melee to regan mana (Yay holy paladin) point is, it took less effot to be a healer and had nearly 0 gratification in terms of contribution.

Not nearly as fun as being a DPS who by reflex tossed out a BoP on a healer/caster about to die or tossing out a LoH on a tank who had gotten criticaaly low. Those are the moments I enjoy cause they typically come with a pat on the back becuse I did what the healer failed to do or covered for someones blunder.

Deleted
    I must admit, I have felt more and more distanced to the resto spec since MoP came, and I feel like I have so much wasted healing utility, because of the current raid encounters. I have then changed to elemental and I'm pretty happy with how that is perfoming atm.
    In my honest opinion I think you should say that you would like to stick with temporary healing until you get a grasp of the mechanics and then see if you still enjoy it. I personally would hate to be stuck with a permanent role only to find out that I hate it.

Deleted
    Your leader should not be let down, if you dont really want to heal, or aint find it enjoyable, dont do it.
    The role as a healer is a little bit harder, since you are depended upon a bit more, the mechanics are different and remember to dispell, all the time
    But I personally like healing as a shaman, its mostly a AoE Job, since the heals are chained and rain.. Give it a go if you want.

Resto shamans are in a really meh place atm, they need a lot of fixes and from everyone I know, resto shamans seem to have the lowest output in ToT encounters, due to the rare stacking of players.

It's up to you though, play what you like and all that. However, since you were ele previously, I have a feeling you'll get bored of healing incredibly quickly, especially if you brought decent numbers to an encounter, and the dps they replace you with does less than you ever did.
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    I'll jsut give you my experience in the same situation. I loved Elemental and my guild had me go healing and I hated it. I ended up losing every ounce of enjoyment in WoW and flat out quit for a year before I even felt like playing again. Do what you find fun, even if it costs you a raid spot.
    Had the same experience myself, but on my monk. I was healing dungeons on my monk because it was simple and all, but ultimately wanted to be a DPS, until my guild told me to go mistweaver, which I didn't enjoy in the slightest. Not only is healing quite stressful, you also barely get to see anythong of an encounter if you're tunnel visioning. Really sucked

1, do you want to? I completely understand taking the healer position whenever a guy is mia to help out, but if you prefere playing elemental, then you need to be honest to your GM and tell him no, truth is, you play to have fun, it aint a job.

2, If you do want to, well then you'll learn.