Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's like a rose-tinted glasses expo in here.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Gear art is getting worse and worse.

In my opinion, pick the classic+BC art, combine it with the current quality of textures = perfection.

Really a few items look good. And this happens pretty much since Cata. I believe Wrath was ok, but it was mostly a copy so.
    Opinion =/= fact

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    If you want to look like a nameless soldier, sure. If you want to look like a world-saving hero, no.
    hmm, I rather say that u are an epic herro if u have an simplist stile, than having dozens of bling-bling on ur arrmor, and now with all this grafic for arrmor full with sculptures, paintings and ather unecesari stuff, i with Overlord set i;m unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love large plate. Not too huge, but large...

Like DK tier 10. That set was excellent. Heavy and tough looking, with shoulders that come close up to the neck. I hate it when shoulder pieces sit perched way out on the shoulder.

However, I'm not too big a fan of sets with COLOSSAL shoulders, like the DK season 10 shoulders on males. Not necessarily because they look too "impractical" (the only gear pieces I've ever thought looked "impractical" in this game are Armageddon, Gurthalak, and Dual-wielding Silent Crusader) but because they just look so... flashy and insistent.

For this same reason, I'm also not a fan of plate armor that looks super complex or detailed. Again, DK tier 10 is a good mix of complexity and simplicity. It looks fairly ornate, without being overly detailed.

I don't care much for BC plate namely because the helms are so awful, though some of the sets also have gaudy patterns on them. In my Opinion, Wrath of the Lich King by and large had the best looking armor sets, with a few exceptions.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I pretty much haven't really cared for any of the MoP tier gear it all looks kinda crappy

Deleted
    Why is blizzard so obsessed with plate armors that look impossible?
    - because it looks cool

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    It's called high fantasy. And if you think these armor sets are bad, you should check out most Korean MMOs. Just saying.
    the irony is that nowadays most people that raid or even pvp play with the camera super zoomed out, or enough to not be able to see the armor or the details in it.
    In vanila everyone played with the camera zoomed in to the point of making wow seem trully a 3rd person game, and the armors had 1 layer of 3d with no shines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Why is blizzard so obsessed with plate armors that look impossible?
    - because it looks cool
    Cool is a flexible term. Lots of things can look cool.
    That's cool too, yet i dont see oversized shoulders and overcomplicated armor (or weapon) design on it.
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2013-04-07 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    That's cool too, yet i dont see oversized shoulders and overcomplicated armor (or weapon) design on it.
    Sure looks cool on the concept art, just don't forget that all the armours Blizzard creates are just painted on the skin, which looks horrible. The only things that are their own models are the shoulders, the cape, the helmet and the weapons.

Everything else, just painted on the skin. That is why Blizzard make humongous shoulderguards and helmets, it is to hide as much as possible of the painted skin.

I think everything looks bulky because of the low polygon count of each model. The low polygon count forces them to be creative for the limited amount of detail they can deliver. Games like Tera or GW2 can create thousands of options due to the amount of detail they can work with. Even the cloth look solid.

compared to something like this.

Last edited by MrSerious; 2013-04-07 at 12:38 PM.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Yes, this game needs realism, i am tired of my friend riding around on her cock (chicken mount =p) while wearing full plate armour... that's absurd!!!!

TBH i just jealous that i don't have that much =(

This is a fantasy game, don't inject realism when EVERYTHING in the game would need to be changed.... and who says these pieces of armour actually weigh the same as real world versions.... Maybe wearing a full set of plate armour, on a warrior, would only increase hse general weight by say 5kg, because it's a fantasy world.... and could be possible. Heck, we can SWIM in full plate without sinking, so it has to be less.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I think everything looks bulky because of the low polygon count of each model. The low polygon count forces them to be creative for the limited amount of detail they can deliver. Games like Tera or GW2 can create thousands of options due to the amount of detail they can work with. Even the cloth look solid.

[/IMG]
    I think GW2 has some of the most boring looking gear in any mmo i've ever played, i basicly looked the same from 1-80, and at lvl 80 i still haven't found any gear that looks much different.

so i guess for whatever reason you can still make boring gear with more options

I don't really care about "impossible" gear in a fantasy mmo... it's fantasy and a game. I mostly liked the gear in Wow, but sometimes the shoulder sizes does get a bit ridiculous, and time is a factor also, even though it's a cartoonish style it's still 8 years old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Sure looks cool on the concept art, just don't forget that all the armours Blizzard creates are just painted on the skin, which looks horrible. The only things that are their own models are the shoulders, the cape, the helmet and the weapons.

Everything else, just painted on the skin. That is why Blizzard make humongous shoulderguards and helmets, it is to hide as much as possible of the painted skin.
    Some belts, pants, and boots are also 3D, i dont know what stops them into making armor 3d except lazyness.

Deleted
    Some belts, pants, and boots are also 3D, i dont know what stops them into making armor 3d except lazyness.
    Because they have quite a number of bases they have to fit it on, and without any invention it's simply not feasible. And Blizzard was never really the one bringing up new technology or something.

In any way this is not just cool factor, something that people don't think about is the motion. With bullshit Blizzard is adding (and not just Blizzard), there's not many possibilities to actually make it cool in motion, just because in reality the stuff does not work. With tech level of WoW being pretty low, it does not matter that much, but if for example could render wounds or hits based on weapon motion and attacked surface (or perhaps something more simple, yet still more involved than current animations), things would simply fell apart with bullshit equipment like this.

But honestly it's not like there is any relevance in the game at all, things might as well be just flashy and impractical, until somebody with better tech proves that working model will look better Blizzard don't even have to care. Just look at their stupid artworks, where you have people with daggers fighting people with much better equipment and making it look as if they have some sort of mobility advantage or something. In reality if you bring knife against sword you're screwed hard. Now imagine how'd you animate this in game, much of the game design such as their current classes would again fell apart and look all wrong.

Rule of Cool.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Everyone is aware of the fact that WoW is a game so "impossible" things can happen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    There are a few sets from Cataclysm worth a look. I particularly like this one: http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=1114
    That looks like a piece of shit, and I don't agree with the OP either.

A lot of the gear from classic, TBC and even WotLK is low polygon count with barely any detail at all. It's like being used to the detail in Pandaria's zones and then flying into Hellfire in Outland. Just looks like shit now.

I say, keep the more detailed gear coming. It doesn't need to get bigger necessarily, but it does need to get more detailed. Cloaks, for example, need a MAJOR overhaul. Some actual cape-like animations for example, not just some shitty looking piece of cardboard that stays stuck to your back like a strip of tape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    I say, keep the more detailed gear coming. It doesn't need to get bigger necessarily, but it does need to get more detailed. Cloaks, for example, need a MAJOR overhaul. Some actual cape-like animations for example, not just some shitty looking piece of cardboard that stays stuck to your back like a strip of tape.
    Cloaks are a PART of the character's model, not animated on their own. You'd literally have to change the skeleton to make cloaks move differently. And seeing as Blizzard is redoing the races anyway, there's no real use in doing just that for the older models.

And I dislike "complex" looking capes. I'm perfectly happy with solid colored capes, or ones with only a border pattern or something. Those fit in much more easily to transmog sets than the super gaudy ones with chains and other weird baubles painted onto the surface.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Too bad the boots with kneecaps look so stupid on Worgen in-game.

Also you have to admit that the cloak totally makes that image. I have never seen a really good-looking cloak on a playable character model in an MMO.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Too bad the boots with kneecaps look so stupid on Worgen in-game.

Also you have to admit that the cloak totally makes that image. I have never seen a really good-looking cloak on a playable character model in an MMO.
    It does show you can look good without stupid-huge shoulders.

Of course you can't hide shoulders in-game ...