General Worries of a Fresh Blood DK

Hi, I'm a new member of both MMO-Champion community and Ebon Hold and this is my Death Knight: Ozziè - Chamber of Aspects EU

I can start by saying that I'm very slow at gearing because I like to enjoy playing by myself, mostly soloing old content, etc. This narrows my options into one single aspect of the game: Soloing.

I watched tutorials of Mione, Raegwyn and other soloing people. I'm doing a lot of reading about soloing, particularly having the famous Soloing-spreadsheet and DK soloing thread in my bookmarks. I'm doing best I can to follow the instructions of AskMrRobot in terms of gearing and managing my stats.

The question is, I really cannot decide between reforging for Hit/Exp Cap and for Mastery. I know that, due to the lack of ilvl, it's very early to consider such things but I want to adjust my gameplay earlier so I won't have any problems in terms of adaptation in the future. So, if I completely disregard hit/exp cap and reforge for mastery, what do I lose and what do I win?

Also, I'd not mind some feedback from more experienced tanks/soloers about my character. No matter how I work on my character, it still feels like I'm doing something wrong. This is frustrating because I cannot enjoy the game.

Thank you very much for the input.

Can't go wrong with stacking mastery, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDK View Post
    The question is, I really cannot decide between reforging for Hit/Exp Cap and for Mastery. I know that, due to the lack of ilvl, it's very early to consider such things but I want to adjust my gameplay earlier so I won't have any problems in terms of adaptation in the future. So, if I completely disregard hit/exp cap and reforge for mastery, what do I lose and what do I win?
    Don't ever give up Mastery for Hit/Exp cap unless you are doing something at least a full expansion ago, and for that you should have a DPS set to put on anyway. If you want to Hit/Exp cap for tanking, take them out of avoidance stats. And if a piece has no Mastery on it and a stat difference of more than about 50, reforge the bigger one to Mastery pretty much no matter what it is. If the two stats are about equal, take it out of Dodge if it is there.

Tried loading up your character to check what you are doing, but Error 503, site's down.

If you are going for accuracy over avoidance, I do believe the stat priority looks something like
    Mastery > More Mastery > Hit(7.5)> Exp(7.5) > Parry* >= Dodge* > Exp(15)
    because Blood Boil, Rune Strike and Death Strike can't be parried anyway, so Expertise above 7.5% only affects Heart Strike and white hits.
    *: Parry and Dodge have some complicated math to calculate, it's in the tank guide. It boils down to Parry needs to be about 2.4 times Dodge if possible.

Thank you very much for your inputs.

I have some pieces of dps gear already but I'll try to look for more. I'll try a completely different setup with stacking only mastery and completely disregarding Hit/Exp cap and will see how much it affects survivability.

It also depends on what you're soloing. And keep in mind, Ask Mr. Robot is going to give you the best stats for tanking current content, tanking older content will not necessarily be the same thing, as DPS stats will often be more useful than "survival" stats(as Mione covered in the guide).

10+ Year Old Account
    For soloing, most old content (Classic, TBC and up to t8/t9 (10man)) can be done in any kind of gear. For everything above, I'd recommend 7.5% Hit, 7.5% Exp and Haste > Mastery > Crit (so mostly dps gear with dpstrinkets and fallen crusader enchant). If you get to a boss that's really challenging your survival, you can add more mastery and if you struggle with dps change some mastery into haste/crit.
    Haste brings you about the same dps a Crit, but it adds a small bit of suviability, while crit only gives you damage. If you are keen on doing ICC, forget mastery. Avoid it like the pest (except for maybe Saurfang), because with the icc-buff, survival shouldn't be an issue, outside of standing in the fire for too long or LK 25 HC stuff.

I solo old content in my tank gear, but that's mostly because I don't have an existing dps gear - I only switch out tank trinkets for dps trinkets, but if you are building yourself a set for soloing, get dpsgear.
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    My main worry I see is that you're on Chamber of Aspects.

You'll never get to see current expansion raid content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nulir View Post
    My main worry I see is that you're on Chamber of Aspects.

You'll never get to see current expansion raid content.
    I've solod naxx and icc with ease in LFR gear. Also did some 25 naxx. Havent done HC icc yet though.