Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why don't more people play RIFT?

I understand it's just my opinion and everyone is different... but to me RIFT is such a superior game to WoW and other MMOs. I know people still play SWTOR, yet RIFT is obviously superior - sans Hutball.

For me at least, RIFT feels like what WoW was before the introduction of WotLK; like if you took the devs from that time and stuck them with another game. The raiding feels superior, the graphics are better... player housing is there, etc. The one lacking area is PvP, but for raiders I am not sure why the transition isn't made onto RIFT. Content patches are much more plentiful in RIFT as well.

I'm sure for plenty of reasons. Some may not have the money. Some may not like the artwork or art style.

As for me, I have played it. It was wonderful. However, My home is on Azeroth, and I have plenty of time dedicated to my main.

It's a very "standard" MMO which is very close to the World of Warcraft style of MMOs. While Rift does it's thing well; Rift also released in an era of MMOs where the market is moving toward f/b2p business models, the greatest market fragmentation the genre has ever seen and more novel forms of gameplay away from the 2nd era style.

You can play WoW in WoW. To put it bluntly.

People pretty okay with WoW will just play WOW as it is the biggest & most accomplished MMO of this or any generation previous. An MMO players are invested in both time and critical mass.

I want to, but in comparison to WoW: I don't know anyone that plays and already have a lot invested in other games.

I do appreciate the effort it seems Trion puts in toward their hardcore raiders as opposed to Blizzard. Additionally, if Blizzard were to turn me away with bad design (DS 2.0) I would move over to Rift in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Frogged; 2013-04-04 at 03:58 AM.

When I log on to Rift, I'm all alone. There is absolutely no one I know that plays it. 99% of people I know that used to play WoW quit that too however, so I don't really play that much either.

As Fencers said, b2p and f2p are starting to be a big thing. Rift also didn't have pre-established lore; I know most people that I played WoW with used to play WC3, and is one of the main reasons they got into it, me included. Rift just didn't seem very interesting to me, lore-wise, when it came out.

It's the same reason SWTOR got a huge following (for a while). It's freakin' Star Wars.
    I "predict" the same thing will happen with Elder Scrolls Online. A LOT of people play Elder Scrolls games.. I hope it will survive the hype.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

10+ Year Old Account
    I would try it but I don't have the money/bandwidth for it.

Because it sucks badly
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Leveling from 50 to 60 was a killer for me. I stopped at 57.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilesmagno View Post
    Because it sucks badly
    Because there's truth in your opinion...

Deleted
    I personally hated having no flying mounts, game in general felt clumsy due engine, and I simply didnt like it even after playing a couple months at max level (after removal of soul quests, too). Also, zero things to do in the world. No rares to hunt, only shitty events that give nothing worth mentioning but planarite, wich you couldnt even really use for anything. All armor was too generic, and pretty much the things I liked about the game were, the soul system (many talents) and more legendary stuff.

That's another point I guess.. I really don't enjoy leveling in Rift much tbh. It might just be a general MMO burnout, but I got bored of it really quickly.

Loved it, played it for a long time. Eventually, though, I got burnt out on it. A few months later MoP came out and I started playing WoW again. While there is a lot about Rift I missed, something about it just didn't feel like home. Plus, I never got over how clunky the animations seemed to be. Movement and animations were not very fluid and it was taking away from the game experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Because there's truth in your opinion...
    the OP says that in his opinion RIFT is superior to WoW

the guy you quoted thinks it isnt, who says theres truth in either of their opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    the OP says that in his opinion RIFT is superior to WoW

the guy you quoted thinks it isnt, who says theres truth in either of their opinions?
    There's a difference between an opinion and a statement.

For me, it's the lack of interesting races. The only ones that interested me in any way were the Eth, but in the end they just look like humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never claimed for anyone's opinion to be correct, I was just saying in a sarcastic manner that his opinion is not a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's just more of the same shit. Don't get me wrong, Rift is a good game. I think I still have a sub to it lol. But it didn't bring anything exciting to the table; it's just more high fantasy, endless grindfest for gear, and then raid endgame and pray for more expansions. I did that enough with WoW, I have no desire to do it anymore, and until an MMO comes out that FINALLY breaks away from that shit, I think I'm off the MMO market for the foreseeable future.

Slight off-topic rant, but I REALLY wish they'd start tapping the Sci-Fi market more. And no, I'm not talking shit like Star Wars - TOR just feels like WoW in space. More swords, yay! Tabula Rasa was a great game, it was a shame it had to get taken down (for reasons other than not enough subs, believe it or not). I want more Sci-Fi MMOs, dammit! Somebody start a NEW franchise, quit trying to milk the old ones. Do something innovative and NEW, fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Well there's Defiance, been out for what.. 2-3 days now? Heck it's even from the same company as Rift.

WildStar is also coming sometime this year I think, though that does look a lot like WoW with a sci-fi skin... Still looks good though.
    Last edited by Incognito Noctix; 2013-04-04 at 04:13 AM.

I played Rift for a few months near release and tried going back after the expansion. I can tell you what keeps me away at least...The movement feels way too stiff, just because the way the characters look when they run and the combat is way too similar to nearly every other hot key mmo. Then there's raiding and I just don't have the time to do that nor do I want to be bound to a schedule when I've got a full time job. I can support Trion more than Blizzard, but they just don't make a game I want to play, and I don't really have the time needed to devote to the game.

Deleted
    i always wanted to get into rift but every time i try it i just get so bored, the world is not very interesting and feels very empty with big open spaces full of nothing and the art style i find to be very generic and ugly, i enjoyed ember isle for a little while but lost interest quickly. bought the expansion when it came out as i did not have much to play at time, but my favourite soul had been ruined and there was only a couple i enjoyed anyway, plus the new locations seemed so uninspired and empty that within an hour of grinding i just thought "this is not enjoyable enough to merit spending any more time on" and uninstalled/cancelled sub there and then. lost out on a score but not the end of the world.