Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Getting Burnt Out on WoW

Well I have been playing since BC on and off and now here at MoP I don't raid anymore other than LFR and I just can't find much interesting in the game anymore. Any ideas for what could help me get my love of the game rekindled? Open to all suggestions (except Moonguard).

Take a break? Join a real raiding guild? Push arena teams? Push RBG teams?

Quote Originally Posted by BcShane13 View Post
    Well I have been playing since BC on and off and now here at MoP I don't raid anymore other than LFR and I just can't find much interesting in the game anymore. Any ideas for what could help me get my love of the game rekindled? Open to all suggestions (except Moonguard).
    A break. Seriously I stopped playing back in November because I was a long time player that burnt out and still at this time I don't see a return any time soon and I couldn't be happier. Some return others don't but i think the only way to see if you still have any interest is to take a break and if the itch returns scratch it.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly hard to rekindle it as the others have stated ''Take a break'' As for myself well there's nothing left for me I no longer raid pvp seems gutted yada yada. I'll come back to mess around in 5.3 in most cases and I haven't played in awhile haha

Quit. Tons of better things to do outside of WoW.

Do you want to raid/play? Get a raiding guild. If you're on a crappy server, transfer. Maybe start some pvp on the side?

If you are bored and don't see yourself enjoying raiding, questing or pvp... quit I guess.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're wanting to rekindle your love for WoW, take a break, preferably for a like 1-2 patches. When you come back it'll feel kinda like a new game. Thats what I did before I quit.

But my advice is this: Quit. Once burnout occurs its pretty hard to see the game in the same light again.
    Call me House.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take a break, I did. I quit a month after Cata with no intention of coming back. Well, I started again a few days ago. Even though I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 released, my "MMO golden years" were in BC and WotLK". People know what I'm talking about when I say the memories in this game are strong with me. Coming back has been fun trip down memory lane. Will I play for more than a month? I dont' know, but I will take it month by month from here on out, Having fun again.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Take a break if you're burnt out. It's perfectly normal thing to do.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I got burnt out right before MoP released. Didn't even bother buying it. I had done it all. Arena, RBGs, raiding, heroics, alts. Just couldn't find it in myself to play anymore. :/ Chose that time to quit, and I haven't looked back. But I still like looking at all the new stuff, just in case I see something that pikes my interest. But nothing yet.

I'd just stop playing for a while, and find something else to do. Pick up another game, beat that, then see if you want to play again. Once you've done it all, there's really nothing else to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP was the breaking point for me. It wasn't just one thing, just a lot of little, sometimes really insignificant things that just built up that finally made me quit. My last account (I had three active) expires at the end of this month, the end of a 6 month sub. I quit playing about 4 months ago, decided to fire it up and see if that break was what I needed. Indeed, it was not. I think once this account goes down, and I uninstall WoW for the umpteenth time, it will finally be for good.

I liked the pet battles, believe it or not. Spent a lot of time doing that. I didn't like that you couldn't fly until 90, especially on chars 2-15. I didn't like that it turned into World of Dailycraft once who hit 90. I wasn't too enthused about the instances, either. For some reason, the lore and story in MoP just didn't suck me in like the past few expansions. Probably because I've been playing since Closed Beta, and I'm just tired of this IP. I played FFXI for 5 years, so I guess that says something that I stuck to WoW this long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

If you're not wanting to take a break you'll probably want to shift the direction of your game-play in a serious enough manner that it'll change how you play.

I used to be strictly PvE earlier this year and I was starting to get worn down fast from LFR ontop of the stress from pushing heroics.
    I got into a better guild and I'm currently just taking Saturdays as my raid night;
    And I started doing arenas somewhat seriously for the first time.

Whole new edge to the game for me. Completely rekindled my spark.

I'd also suggest RP servers but uh...
    Moon Guard is where I play and uh...

...Moon Guard.

(Seriously though; RP completely takes away a good chunk of my boredom if my others are on. Always capable of pulling something out even when there's no event going on. I can literally log in now and do almost anything except maybe RBG's.)

If you don't want to take a break for whatever reason, drastically change how you play. Maybe reroll fresh on a new server playing a class you never tried and take your time, don't use heirlooms, do and read the quests, level all your professions including cooking and stuff and just enjoy the ride, forget about the end game. I did it a few times and its quite enjoyable if you actually like the RPG aspect of the game.

Other than that, find goals, personally i'm working on getting a good money-making setup going trying to have all maxed professions on all my alts with 16 slot farms. Go for specific long-term achievements, try challenge modes (openraid and the wow forums are the best place to find people), try pvp.

If raiding still interests you, maybe try to join a real guild and make friends in it. LFR and real raiding are 2 worlds apparte, i can't even comprehend how people can enjoy LFR when its so far away from the real raiding guild experience. Don't just log for raids tough, spend time on vent with them, level alts with them, participate in alt runs or other off-night activities. Often its the bond people have with their guildies that keep people playing the game more than the game itself. I had that during cata and a dearly miss it.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-04-04 at 04:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Quit. Tons of better things to do outside of WoW.
    yeah, like playing all these other video games out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    If you don't want to take a break for whatever reason, drastically change how you play.
    I still say you and me are like the same person.
    But not really.

/waveofftopicfriendlystuff

I have to agree with most people here. If you're tired of it the best idea would probably be to take a break. I usually take 2-4 months off at a time when I feel burnt out and try out different F2P MMOs as well as do console gaming like CoD if you're into that kind of thing. I tend to get a lot of stuff done in that time and when I come back usually a good deal has changed and you're not so bored as you figure out all the new things.

If you think you're still going to want to play a bit then my only real suggestion would be to maybe re-roll or find someone to do RaF with and level with them. Try to make new friends etc.
    Signature created by Engelen <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people experience some type of burnout after playing WOW for so long, so that is normal. I agree with others that you should take a break from the game (maybe a month) and see if your passion for the game is reignited during that break. I have been playing since 2006 and have taken mini-breaks from the game during that period. This helped to reignite my desire to play and might work for you as well.
    "Come, Stormrage, and I will show you what happens to those that betray the lord of the Legion!" — Mannoroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    yeah, like playing all these other video games out there?
    exactly. I quit, took a break played another MMO then gave WoW another try (10 day access) realised WoW had lost all its shine, its seemed outdated, slow and clunky compared to what else is out there (fair enough it is an old game that has done very well over the years - gave me plenty of years of fun). But finally after all these years I deleted the entire folder from my harddrive. I still look at these forums to see what has changed, and its nothing but complaints and disappointments (and supposedly dailies)

The only thing that annoys me when giving up is I should of sold everything and ran around giving people gold.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing since 05 and have had many breaks, I am on one right now and getting the itch to come back.
    If you don't want to walk away from the game for a while do what people have suggested, like rerolling on a totally different server with a class you don't play and just casually make your way to 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like nearly everyone else has said, taking a break can give you some perspective on whether or not you want to continue.

As well, don't play every day when you are playing and something I've done this expansion was pretty much limit myself to my main. If you've got 15 alts and you're trying to keep them all up to date, then yeah, burnout is likely. Delete most of your alts. It's very liberating. I think I deleted close to two dozen before MoP launched. It was exactly the right thing to do.

By the by, I do everything in the game I want or need to do and have never made a big thing about doing dailies. That whole subject is severely overblown by those who either don't know any better or are prone to sticking their fingers in their ears when they hear something that interferes with their world view.

Breaks are good though. For the last couple of years, I've taken time off to play Rift every year. Playing different games keeps all of them fresh. Too much of any one thing is bad.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."