10+ Year Old Account

Cool New Chronicle coming in 2.3

It's looking like Update 2.3 is heading to be a biggie in terms of content

Daglar more or less confirmed a new Chronicle was coming in 2.3 and is the first of many more...

More chronicles are in the works. You should expect one with 2.3.

~Daglar
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4206861

Still no sign of it on PTS yet, hopefully they'll start to add 2.3 'goodies' onto the PTS by this weekend?

So far it seems:

New zone: the Dendrome
    New Expert/Master Mode Dungeon: Realm of Twisted Dreams
    New feature in Dendrome: Strongholds
    New Chronicle: nothing known yet

Soon as i know, you'll know, time to camp out the PTS

Edit, another cryptic post by Daglar "suggests" that we might be getting more Role slots in 2.3

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post4206925
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2013-04-04 at 11:37 AM. Reason: More info

I am liking it. Should be just in time for me to finally be done moving in.

Deleted
    hope this week sth pop on pts...

I hope it's a 2-man one. I enjoy doing them with my bro when we're just lazing around.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    I hope it's a 2-man one. I enjoy doing them with my bro when we're just lazing around.
    I actually wish they just scaled and could go anywhere between 1-4 people if you wanted. If LotRO has technology that does that and has been around forever, it's not a stretch that it's possible here. It would make all of the chronicles suddenly available and with downscaling would still be viable at 60. That would be a really good change imo.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I actually wish they just scaled and could go anywhere between 1-4 people if you wanted. If LotRO has technology that does that and has been around forever, it's not a stretch that it's possible here. It would make all of the chronicles suddenly available and with downscaling would still be viable at 60. That would be a really good change imo.
    That would be cool and probably fairly easy to do. It's not like they are intended to be difficult, so it shouldn't be too hard to scale it appropriately and if it ends up a little too easy for 4 who cares? It's not like it's giving BiS rewards or anything, most of the gear there is on par or worse than some crafted and expert pieces with raid gear trumping all of it. Should probably increase the drop rate of the epic upgrade item that drops in there though.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That would be cool and probably fairly easy to do. It's not like they are intended to be difficult, so it shouldn't be too hard to scale it appropriately and if it ends up a little too easy for 4 who cares? It's not like it's giving BiS rewards or anything, most of the gear there is on par or worse than some crafted and expert pieces with raid gear trumping all of it. Should probably increase the drop rate of the epic upgrade item that drops in there though.
    Yeah, it seems like a feature they could have expanded on just a little bit with minimal effort to give people some alternate places to farm some mats, money, and low levels of gear every day. I have done skirmishes in lotro for forever and wondered why no other MMOs had this type of feature. Basically you choose to scale it based on the number of people in your group, it has 'tiers' of difficulty that yield higher rewards, and it can be run for marks to buy gear at all levels from lowest to max.

It's a pretty cool feature and chronicles seem similar in design, just without the scalability. They also have companions for you to run with (before swtor 'thought' of it) so that you can have a healer with you if you are dps, tanks can have a dps with them, etc. That part isn't required in Rift, as the Chronicles are easy enough without an NPC assistant and bringing a buddy would serve that purpose.

I also wouldn't mind if they let you trade in all the Empy Slayer marks for IS, then IS for dungeon currency. I don't think it would need to go above that until a new tier is released and then move everything down, but I know just that would have kept me more engaged for a longer period of time because it extends the wall for me to hit. In the end it's not really about the gear, but about giving me some form of never ending reason to do events, do dungeons, etc. Gear just happens to be the most effective reward and I honestly can't think of a better substitute. Cosmetic gear and mounts would be somewhat motivating for people, but not quite as well as increased character power.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    If i didn't slack so much i'd go back through my old posts on the Rift forum and quote where i actually suggested this when i first heard of Chronicles

I suggested they 'borrow' the concept of Skirmishes from LoTR and have a drop down menu to change it with solo play, 2-player, 5-player, 10-player, heck i think Skirmishes would scale up to full 20-25 man raids?

It was fun to do a few of these every day, just you and your healing/DPS companion, unfortunately when i played the little content "expansion" known as Mirkwood i lost interest in LoTR and having tried the new F2P with cash shop i definitely have no desire to go back, buying questing packs, swift travel packs, no thanks. Let me pay and play for all content, but i digress

TL - DR The Skirmish system would be a nice addition/upgrade to Chronicles

It would be nice to see some 2.3 testing...grinding presitge to rank 80 is making me have hardcore flashbacks to Aion.

I wish all instances were scale-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    I wish all instances were scale-able.
    I hope you mean up only. 5-mans should not scale down at all IMO. They are group content and should be completed by at least 5 people. Similar to GHunts where the Rank 4/5 need at least 5 people but if more show up it scales up. Actually, thinking about that, they already have scaling mechanics for GHunts, how hard would it be to apply to a Chronicle or Dungeon?

I hope you mean up only. 5-mans should not scale down at all IMO. They are group content and should be completed by at least 5 people. Similar to GHunts where the Rank 4/5 need at least 5 people but if more show up it scales up. Actually, thinking about that, they already have scaling mechanics for GHunts, how hard would it be to apply to a Chronicle or Dungeon?
    Well, sometimes I just want to do something with a very small group. I don't even care for any gear, just want something else to do. So, scale a dungeon down to 1-2 players but don't give rewards at all, does it sound good?

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Well, sometimes I just want to do something with a very small group. I don't even care for any gear, just want something else to do. So, scale a dungeon down to 1-2 players but don't give rewards at all, does it sound good?
    Not really. It is much harder to scale down than up. You have to start removing mechanics as in a 1-2 player dungeon you do not have room for a tank a healer and a DPS. Chronicles are already designed with this in mind, so scaling up is easier as you just have to adjust HP and Damage, not mechanics.

Aside from that, if you want to do something with a small group of 1-2 players, there is already tons of content for that, anything else other than dungeons and raids really.

I've really become disappointed with the amount of content released lately. The only content we've received since November is a couple new world events that really, are meh at the most. EE, and the chronicle were both planned for SL launch. 2.3 will probably be on PTS for at least 6 weeks, and we will have another 4 week event most likely until we can actually get there on live. We are coming up on 6 months without any content updates, I sure hope 2.3 and dendrome is amazing =(
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Not really. It is much harder to scale down than up. You have to start removing mechanics as in a 1-2 player dungeon you do not have room for a tank a healer and a DPS. Chronicles are already designed with this in mind, so scaling up is easier as you just have to adjust HP and Damage, not mechanics.

Aside from that, if you want to do something with a small group of 1-2 players, there is already tons of content for that, anything else other than dungeons and raids really.
    I'm just dreaming. :P The down scaling could be in the form of a buff that heal you and make you deal more damage and take less or something... anyways, as you said I already have plenty of stuff like old dungeons and raids. It's pretty fun to challenge oneself with soloing those, and try out new weird (gimmicky) builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yea that'd definitely be a great idea. Don't foresee it though for anything in the short term though.

Hope new 20man raids come soon aswell... bored out my brain killing only 9 bosses a week in 1 and a half raid nights(since I don't do crappy 10mans) and yes I know theres hardmodes now but that's just band-aid content which doesn't interest me.

Deleted
    still no 2.3 at pts....