Thread: PvP only..

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Angry PvP only..

I have to say that I am a bit disapointed that the only way to earn cards (besides buying) is to play random opponents at Battle.net
    I can understand why you cant earn cards while playing against friends, but the harder (Expert?) AIs should have a chance to win cards as well imho.
    Am I the only one thinking that?

Sadly this is a deal breaker for me, and if this stands when release I see no point for me to play the game.
    I love playing Magic the Gathering, and this game look as good and is Warcraft world/lore.

I would like to be able to play and advance through the game with only computer opponents if I want that..

Deleted
    Well I think the fun of card games is to play with other people so I don't see what's the big deal to be honest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    I have to say that I am a bit disapointed that the only way to earn cards (besides buying) is to play random opponents at Battle.net
    I can understand why you cant earn cards while playing against friends, but the harder (Expert?) AIs should have a chance to win cards as well imho.
    Am I the only one thinking that?

Sadly this is a deal breaker for me, and if this stands when release I see no point for me to play the game.
    I love playing Magic the Gathering, and this game look as good and is Warcraft world/lore.

I would like to be able to play and advance through the game with only computer opponents if I want that..
    Something that is controled only by AI can be exploited pretty hard. And bots would apear that just fights game vs experts and get cards.

think about it from the game's origin's POV.

trading card games: either you buy packs, or you bet cards with other people and win against them. or, you can trade them. there's no other (legal) way of adquiring cards in TCG.

for now, blizz has omitted the trading part, because the game is F2P, and trading would lead to people making many accounts to get as many cards as possible and trade the good ones to their main accounts for murlocs or other weak cards. that would be annoying, and at the same time, players would feel they NEED to do it, otherwise they wouldn't be able to stay competitive against people who do it.

of course, blizz could put packs in the training mode, but that would be cheap. in the end, card game AIs tend to be really stupid, and if you could get cards from training mode, why would you waste time playing against other players and having fun, while risking to lose and not to earn cards?
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TommmyBoy View Post
    Something that is controled only by AI can be exploited pretty hard. And bots would apear that just fights game vs experts and get cards.
    This is the whole reason behind it I suspect. Exploiting, and bots. It's also the reason you can't talk to matchmade opponents, not just for the trashtalking and griefing that would happen, but for the fact Gold sellers would start using it to spam messages at people. Players playing this are very likely to have WoW accounts, so they'd be a perfect target for Goldsellers. Thankfully Blizz has been around the block and knows what to expect and is trying to make sure the misuse of the game stays at a minimum. But, as they say, this is why we can't have nice things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to win off the computer and make it easy. The idea is to play other people. I wouldn't even call it PvE or PvP. It's just the nature of a card game.

Exploits or what others say aside. The reason we won't get cards from AI is most likely because they have the same deck everytime you play. So you can custom build a deck just to own a specific AI opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    murlocs or other weak cards.p
    I take offense to this. You will not disrespect the murlocs, or I will show you their power!!! :P
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Can you play card games vs an AI ? I'm sure I couldn't play magic the gathering vs AI, would be hard to be honest since a computer can't hold the cards. :P

You can get cards by beating the AI. Source is mmochamp front page.

Players will earn their first set of cards as soon as they start playing Hearthstone, and certain game modes and features will award additional cards through gameplay.Here are the different ways to get cards:

Practice Mode: Play against A.I. opponents representing different classes to unlock new heroes and basic cards.
    Play Mode: By participating in traditional head-to-head matches, players have a chance to win card packs.
    The Forge: Build a deck by selecting one card from each of a series of randomized card choices, and then play against other Forge participants. The cards you pick to build your deck are yours to keep—play well enough, and you could win even more. Note that you must trade in a certain number of card packs to participate in The Forge (further details to be announced later).
    Crafting: Disenchant expert cards in your collection to receive arcane dust, and then use your collected dust to craft other cards of your choosing. Basic cards cannot be disenchanted.
    Card Packs: Purchase card packs containing five random cards using your Battle.net Balance or a variety of supported payment methods. One of the cards will always be of “rare” rarity or greater; in some cases, you may find that one or more additional cards has also “upgraded” to a higher tier of rarity.
    Achievements: Certain achievements in the game may grant additional cards.
    Last edited by russ555; 2013-03-28 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

10+ Year Old Account
    This post cracks me up. PvP only card game wtf! Whats next PvP only poker! PvP only Crazy 8s! What is this world coming too!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    This post cracks me up. PvP only card game wtf! Whats next PvP only poker! PvP only Crazy 8s! What is this world coming too!
    Well I think the OP is comparing it to something like a Yu-Gi-Oh! game, where there is a story and such. I think the OP is expecting something along those lines, whereas others see it as it is; a multiplayer card game directed at player vs. player, with no over-arcing story to go on.

Did they mention a local game setting? Playing against/with friends would be fun as long as they make sure you can't win packs/etc. from it because of exploiting.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Well I think the OP is comparing it to something like a Yu-Gi-Oh! game, where there is a story and such. I think the OP is expecting something along those lines, whereas others see it as it is; a multiplayer card game directed at player vs. player, with no over-arcing story to go on.

Did they mention a local game setting? Playing against/with friends would be fun as long as they make sure you can't win packs/etc. from it because of exploiting.
    They confirmed having pre-arranged matches with friends via battle.net. You will not be able to win packs from it though
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

You shouldn't have to worry about that much. The games take 10-15 minutes. Against an AI it would be roughly the same. If you lose you'll get matched with players of your skill level.

In practice mode you can get basic cards at least. There are quite a few of those to collect.

Card games are meant to be played with other people, except solitaire. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post

So you already love playing a game that has no AI to play against and is extremely expensive to play, but at the same time complain that this F2P version doesn't have a functioning AI to play against, but it won't give you more free stuff and this is a deal breaker for you? Logic missing...

Deleted
    You can get cards from playing the AI's - they are just "basic" cards, not disenchantable magic cards (i.e. can't be used for crafting). So there is some PvE progression. But since the matchmaker is automatic and no-chat, it's basically playing "random AI's" that happen to be people - less "finding the quickest way to earn cards and repeating it 500 times" and more actual strategy, generalist decks and reacting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, you start with the Mage deck, and play the AI to earn access to the other decks. So, in a way, it's like Duels of the Planeswalker like that. You just have to play other players to unlock the extra cards. Even better, it seems you're not limited to certain cards per deck. I still don't know how the deckbuilding works though. Can I use the same card for multiple decks, or do I need multiple copies of it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Actually, you start with the Mage deck, and play the AI to earn access to the other decks. So, in a way, it's like Duels of the Planeswalker like that. You just have to play other players to unlock the extra cards. Even better, it seems you're not limited to certain cards per deck. I still don't know how the deckbuilding works though. Can I use the same card for multiple decks, or do I need multiple copies of it?
    It cant be like that, you should be able to choose your first deck instead being forced to start with a mage one?

just pretend the opponants are AI. that's how i got over my fear of true competitive multiplayer. chances are AI will make decent moves every move anyway. humans, while capable of thinking out of the box, a lot of the time they will make mistakes to exploit.

same applies to all video game pvp.
    somebody call for d doctor?

Its a online TCG game... the point is to play against OTHER people. Stop being a tool lol