Spell idea for mage regarding portals...thoughts?

Porting is great and everything, but I had, what I think to be a pretty cool idea to tweek the portal ability.

Spell: Star Portal (not the best name lol)
    Ability: Save one spot anywhere outside of a dungeon & alliance owned areas to be able to port you or any group members to that area.

It would come in handy in raid situations, for example, before the raid begins you could save a spot right outside the entrance. If repairs are needed you could port everyone outside the raid to use a repair vendor (I know there's repair bots obviously, but not every group has them). Def. a big time saver sometimes.

It would come in handy for doing quests, for example the shado-pain dailies have that annoying manual flight to the quest islands. You could save a spot to one of those islands etc.

While pondering this I also had the idea of having blizzard implement a system where if someone took any of your ports they would automatically have to give you a certain amount of gold. Not that I'm a greedy player or anything and I always give free ports, but it would just add some extra revenue.

It's nothing crazy, just an idea...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by nelsonb24; 2013-04-07 at 02:42 AM.

So we need yet another way for people to waste other people's time?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonb24 View Post
    Porting is great and everything, but I had, what I think to be a pretty cool idea to tweek the portal ability.

It would come in handy for doing quests, for example the shado-pain dailies have that annoying manual flight to the quest islands. You could save a spot to one of those islands etc.
    Do you NOT put your hearthstone there ? I don't think my hearthstone has been in a major city since my mage could set a portal. It's usually the nearest point to a daily quest hub (on the island itself) or near the current progression raid instance... In 5.0 it was in Klaxxivess.

Yeah there used to be a spell way back in the old M&M games that worked like that, Lloyd's Beacon I think it was called. Always thought that would be handy in WoW.

But not Mages, I think they have quite enough portals already! How about Shamans... they could change Astral Recall so that it binds to a different location than their Hearth, effectively giving them two different HS locations. They could use that now that the guild perk makes hearth CD so short that I almost never use AR anymore.

P.S. Monks actually have something very similar in Zen Meditation - first cast takes you to the training area and second returns you to your previous location. But if you take the ports or (I think) hearth/portal out, the second cast STILL returns you to your previous location so you can "save" it like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

Spell: Star Portal (not the best name lol)
    Ability: Save one spot anywhere outside of a dungeon to be able to port you or any group members to that area.

It would come in handy in raid situations, for example, before the raid begins you could save a spot right outside the entrance. If repairs are needed you could port everyone outside the raid to use a repair vendor (I know there's repair bots obviously, but not every group has them). Def. a big time saver sometimes.

While pondering this I also had the idea of having blizzard implement a system where if someone took any of your ports they would automatically have to give you a certain amount of gold. Not that I'm a greedy player or anything and I always give free ports, but it would just add some extra revenue.

It's nothing crazy, just an idea...

Thoughts?
    So your solution to ill-prepared people is to give mages another spell, and then charge the ill-prepared and give mages the money?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    That would open some possibilities! Obviously my raid members already know that clicking the Dalaran portal ends bad.

Always looking for new ways to screw my raid group... ;]

Deleted
    Could be interesting in a lot of way :
    • for RP (I will open a portal for you to my Mage's Tower)
    • for grouping : open a portal in capital for the raid entrance
    • for repair in raid.
    • for bad trick ^o^
    • for convenience : just before your preferred AH !!!!

And just name it Arcane Balise, or something like that.

Just add a minor glyph that polymorph every one that use it in mana snake for 10s

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Do you NOT put your hearthstone there ? I don't think my hearthstone has been in a major city since my mage could set a portal. It's usually the nearest point to a daily quest hub (on the island itself) or near the current progression raid instance... In 5.0 it was in Klaxxivess.
    I do have my hearth at shado-pan hub, however some of the quests require an annoying fly to those islands.

Obviously with this spell they could make horde/alliance only areas, so that some mage couldnt sneak into storm wind, save a spot, and open a portal there.

Xeraxis, how would this waste other people's time? explain? In fact this would save a ton of time.

Today for example I was in a HoF group. Repair bot was on cool down. If my created spell was implemented I could have saved a spot outside the raid entrance, opened portal to orgrimmar & my custom area. and just summon people back once they we're done.

So let them design yet another useless-in-combat-utility spell? No thanks. Tired of having utility that doesn't have any effect during the important moments of the game: Combat.

How would this come in handy at all during a raid? In ToT, there's PLENTY of places to mount up on a Traveler's Tundra Mammoth/Grand Expedition Yak. I'd honestly be shocked if there was a group that had 0 Engineers (or Engineers without ANY form of Repair Bot) and 0 players with either repair mount. Even if this happens, you could just hearthstone/portal to a repair vendor after a wipe, and have two people at the entrance (or a warlock) summon you back. The comparison in time saved would be so small compared to the time it would take for devs to design a "Farore's Wind" (from Legend of Zelda: OoT) ability.

Handy for doing quests, sure, but this is highly unnecessary and unneeded. I'd rather see the class devs actually work on the issues with our class before giving us a lightly-useful "fun" spell.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Thinking_wit...r_Portal_Usage

You don't even know rule 1 of appropriate portal usage? Tss...

Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post

I'm curious if that rule penetrates Greater Invisibility, Cauterize, or Ice Block nowadays...

I knew we were under code not to do that, but... hmmm...
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    They removed mass summon because it became too much of a luxury, so I don't think they will ever add a similar option in the form of mage portals to the game Being a mage I would enjoy it and it would make me feel even more awesome, but I just don't see it happening

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

I dunno about this one, but just to play along:
    I'd limit it to the mage's hearth location, not just anywhere. And give it a 1 hour cooldown.
    If you could give it any location you wanted you could transport an entire 40man raid to an opposing faction's city instantly anytime you want.
    If it had no cooldown you could set up multiple 40mans and transport each one within minutes.
    That might actually be kinda funny for a minute, but pointless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post

I read it a long time ago. This books are always fun.
    But as an Horde member (and a goblin) why do I have to follow those rule any more ? Are the "designated Kirin Tor drop-off zones" always be Violet hold in Dalaran for Horde Mage ? No.

Now, with new Goblin technology, we can think of some beautiful interaction between Mage portal and Goblin Engineering :
    The wonderful Personal Ley Generator : create your own Ley line for your personal use. Just place the Generator at a convient place and you will always be in position to teleport back to it. The integrated security check make it nearly impossible for demon and other void's creature to appear at the same time.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 09:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Franksredhot View Post
    I'd limit it to the mage's hearth location, not just anywhere. And give it a 1 hour cooldown.
    If you could give it any location you wanted you could transport an entire 40man raid to an opposing faction's city instantly anytime you want.
    If it had no cooldown you could set up multiple 40mans and transport each one within minutes.
    It's not like a Warlock can already do this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Franksredhot View Post
    This would make a pointless spell even more pointless.

Please no. I'd rather have dev time fixing our game-breaking/balance issues, like talents not being up to par with one another and L90 talents that beg, and I mean, BEG, to be removed completely.