Deleted

Need basic tips for rogue pvp

Can anyone give me some basic tips or refer me to a useful link for starting out as rogue in PVP? I have an alt L90 rogue but got to max level purely through PVE and am a shame to the class when it comes to PVP. I've only done Tol Barad so far, but am close to useless. I leveled as Combat, have Assassination for OS. I am aware I have a large toolkit of abilities that seem as if they might be useful for PVP (they don't seem to figure much in standard PvE rotations) but don't know where to begin. Any advice for starting out?

For example, suppose you saw a frost mage alone and wanted to fight them 1 on 1, what tactics would you employ?

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    For example, suppose you saw a frost mage alone and wanted to fight them 1 on 1, what tactics would you employ?
    I'd probably run away from the Frost Mage.

Subtlety is ideal for standard PvP.

If you have no PvP background, I'd probably start by keybinding all of your PvP related cooldown abilities and learning what they do. Then I'd go around and start ganking people, preferably people of a lower level or lower gear adjusted to your level of skill. Whenever you lose, the first thing to take into account is whether you used all the cooldowns you could have. Once you're skilled enough, you should jump into random BGs and again pick your fights so that they're challenging, yet not too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Can anyone give me some basic tips or refer me to a useful link for starting out as rogue in PVP? I have an alt L90 rogue but got to max level purely through PVE and am a shame to the class when it comes to PVP. I've only done Tol Barad so far, but am close to useless. I leveled as Combat, have Assassination for OS. I am aware I have a large toolkit of abilities that seem as if they might be useful for PVP (they don't seem to figure much in standard PvE rotations) but don't know where to begin. Any advice for starting out?

In all honesty the best way to learn how to pvp with a class that's new to you is look at all of your abilities. Then come up with what you think would be the best opener, and next moves/counters to what will happen. Then, test that theory in duels/bg's/arenas. You can go as far as learning what other classes do (or at least identify their escapes/cd's), and that will really help as well. Many people will tell you exactly what moves you should use in theory, but that's pretty easy to find out for yourself. The real key is learning when to use them.

Beware when learning through dueling though. I would get a friend and just have him do certain things so you can practice, rather than just all out dueling people. Most people that sit in dueling areas are either very geared, or will use all of their CD's which make for a somewhat unrealistic and unbalanced 1v1. (though rogues are known for this very often). When you duel someone to learn, ask them to not use their 3-8 min cd's, but rather what you'll normally be up against (30-45sec max cd). As a geared mage, several classes can destroy me in duels because they have every cd available, and is often a hard counter to my class (often war, dk, rogue, lock).
    Last edited by Chestbrah; 2013-04-05 at 03:14 PM.

Grind that gear. In the gearing process, practice your ability to control targets since you won't be doing much damage anyway. Subtlety is the dominant pvp spec but assassination is still fine for bgs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    In all honesty the best way to learn how to pvp with a class that's new to you is look at all of your abilities. Then come up with what you think would be the best opener, and next moves/counters to what will happen. Then, test that theory in duels/bg's/arenas. You can go as far as learning what other classes do (or at least identify their escapes/cd's), and that will really help as well. Many people will tell you exactly what moves you should use in theory, but that's pretty easy to find out for yourself. The real key is learning when to use them.
    This is probably the best piece of advice you're going to find here. OP, you and I are in the same boat when it comes to leveling the same shitty spec that is Combat to 90. We basically deal with the same problem when getting into pvp which is not understanding anything about abusing stealth and pooling energy with the superior pvp spec that is Subtlety.

What I basically did was read every passive ability and active abilities that are Subtlety only. You basically use your own brainpower to form ideas that may or may not work and apply them to real pvp situations. After getting a decent understanding of the spec, then you may want to start seeing what others are doing and ask for advice. Don't be the guy that just asks for help without knowing anything. You'll end up just get overwhelmed with information that you won't understand.

Don't worry about stats and gemming, you can easily find all of that by using your browser. It's basically Resil/power for green/blue, Agility/resli for orange, Resli for yellow. For glass cannon builds just do pvp power in almost everything besides yellow gem slots. Put Resil/power in yellow slots. Reforge everything to Mastery with having at least 3% hit and possibly 4-5% expertise.

Hope it helps.

Deleted
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-introduction

That is a good basis for any new Rogue to start with. Master that and watch streams, Lots of streams.