Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Watch out for name changes.

//////////////
    My problem here is that I was only gone for three months before they decided to do it. I was playing during the MoP launch.
    ///////////

Took a break from WoW in October. Found out someone freed up one of my names on a character that's been around since bc with 500+ hours of game time in January according to a blue. ActiBlizzard will not hesitate to take names even on low-pop servers if you aren't giving them money. They don't care about what happens before or after the fact. Its not losing the name that gets me, its the way this happened, that the guy who took it quit at lvl 27 in feb, and that they won't even do anything to correct it. They suggested to try and free up the name in a few months. Whatever.

(while on a new alt) http: //i.imgur.com/kVMnM5p.jpg?1
    Last edited by Testaxc; 2013-04-06 at 01:07 AM.

Names on inactive accounts can be made available for other players. I got the name Dorian from a level 19 priest who had been inactive since 2009 two years ago, or so.

This is nothing new. If an account is inactive long enough they will make the names of those characters available for use by other players.

Server size doesn't matter, only the (in)activity of the account. And Blizzard doesn't know that you're coming back. So why lock up a name that might never be used again?

10+ Year Old Account
    As your account goes inactive, it would shortly after be flagged for potential names as Blizzard can't know if you come back or not. This is a simple customer service feature, it's not because they don't care about you, nor your account. But you can't expect holding a name forever if you aren't even going to use it.

Sorry that you lost a perhaps awesome name, but all we can do is smile and carry on. Or you can try and get the name back once the account holder whom has the name now, is gone.

I tend to find names that I really like, and I just must have it, so I look them up on armory to see if they are inactive on my chosen server. Then I apply to get the name set as available so I can use it.

I know it's not fair for the gone player, but as said, none can know if you return.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Funny how you say "ActiBlizzard" when this system has been in for a long time. Before the merge.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

My problem here is that it was only gone for three months before they decided to do it. I was playing during the MoP launch.

Are names freed up automatically if someone tries to type them in, or do they need to specifically request them only? If its the latter I can at least live with that.

Even if an account is active recently, will they change names on specific characters that are inactive for less than 10 months? I only played one guy in MoP and needed to take a break for a few months to take care of some things.
    Last edited by Testaxc; 2013-04-06 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    My problem here is that it was only for three months before they decided to do it. I was playing during the MoP launch.

Are names freed up automatically if someone tries to type them in, or do they need to specifically request them only? If its the latter I can at least live with that.

Even if an account active recently, will they change names on specific characters that are inactive for less than 10 months? I only played one guy in MoP and needed to take a break for a few months to take care of some things.
    You have to apply by sending a ticket to Blizzard explaining that you are seeking said name, then a game master checks if they name is clear, or has been offline for more then 60 days (? - I think it's after 2 months that names can be up for grabs, unless you've done a name change, then they lock for 90 days for others but you). They will only change your charecter names if they have been applied for by another player and follows the guidelines.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure its 6months the "account" has to be innactive before name changes can be flagged. There is a level 29 shaman on my server with my name, hasn't played it in nearly a year, but due to this account being active. Im unable to retrieve the name

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperia View Post
    I'm pretty sure its 6months the "account" has to be innactive before name changes can be flagged. There is a level 29 shaman on my server with my name, hasn't played it in nearly a year, but due to this account being active. Im unable to retrieve the name
    I know it's not 6 months, that is way too long. And remember, even if they shaman is inactive, he can still be a name holder. Applying for a certain name doens't run on charecter activity, but account activity. So if they owner is playing on a different server, well, then it's still his and you can't get it.

Deleted
    Nothing more than a hate thread dressed up as a problem. You stopped playing, therefore Blizz moved on.. Character names in WoW are part of Blizzards property, just like your character, the gear it wears, the achievements.. You don't own the right to use a certain name you merely rented it before anyone else. Grow up, choose a name. Wait until Blizz sorts out if the account holding "your" name wants it or not..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    Nothing more than a hate thread dressed up as a problem. You stopped playing, therefore Blizz moved on.. Character names in WoW are part of Blizzards property, just like your character, the gear it wears, the achievements.. You don't own the right to use a certain name you merely rented it before anyone else. Grow up, choose a name. Wait until Blizz sorts out if the account holding "your" name wants it or not..
    There's no hate thread in this, this seems to be a generally a player more worried/confused how he lost a name of a charecter of his. Many people actually doesn't know about the naming guidelines, and that you can apply for a certain name if it's been flagged as inactive. So, no need to be harsh with the "grow up" comment or anything. People are allowed to seek advice, answers or clarification about something that may have happened.

Nice assumptions there. The only one hating is you. I don't care about the name I care about the fact that this happened after only three months. I didn't think it would happen that quickly and so other people should know. Have a horrible day.

Nice assumptions there. There is no hating here, only you. My concern is not the name property but the fact that this happened so quickly. Thanks for the information everyone else, and to the other unhelpful mouthbreathers: have a horrible day.

Thanks for the information Gehco.

A conflict between a paying customer and a non-paying former customer. Who do you think Blizzard will favour?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    Thanks for the information Gehco.
    You are welcome, keep an eye on your name, maybe one day it'll free up again *smiles*

Enjoy yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    There's no hate thread in this, this seems to be a generally a player more worried/confused how he lost a name of a charecter of his. Many people actually doesn't know about the naming guidelines, and that you can apply for a certain name if it's been flagged as inactive. So, no need to be harsh with the "grow up" comment or anything. People are allowed to seek advice, answers or clarification about something that may have happened.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Calling Blizzard "ActiBlizz" because your unhappy about loosing a name due to inactivity, seems like trashing Blizz to me. They have furiously and rightfully never let Activision take more than a sideline (pet store etc) to the actual ethos of Blizzard design, Yeah bash Blizzard devs for bad choices. Bash The costs of server/faction transfers but to be annoyed about something that will inevitably be solved if the case is reasonable enough is pure bashing especially when the term ActiBlizz is used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Calling Blizzard "ActiBlizz" because your unhappy about loosing a name due to inactivity, seems like trashing Blizz to me. They have furiously and rightfully never let Activision take more than a sideline (pet store etc) to the actual ethos of Blizzard design, Yeah bash Blizzard devs for bad choices. Bash The costs of server/faction transfers but to be annoyed about something that will inevitably be solved if the case is reasonable enough is pure bashing especially when the term ActiBlizz is used.
    Not much of a bashing, and the situation was clarified for him/her. The way the poster wrote would be that of many players whom are confused/frustrated/annoyed about losing their name. "ActiBlizz" is actually a true term, though wrongly given out. Activision hands a bag of money for Blizzard to play with, in exchange they outsource some items/connections to Activision (As you said, Pet store and so on).

But if you call this thread a bash, then I would more call it an annoyed tap on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by jealouspirate View Post
    A conflict between a paying customer and a non-paying former customer. Who do you think Blizzard will favour?
    Hopefully the customer who has been buying Blizzard games since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and has been playing WoW since Vanilla. So a person leaves for 3 months and they are not considered important right? I really hope you never run a business.

Anyways I'm out.