Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Same. The Tales series would almost be worth it, but the PS3 is at the end of it's lifecycle now too. I would buy a PS4 for sure to access some of these games but... no backwards compatibility.
    Well the thing is too, Tales of Xillia 2 is only available on the PS3 and that is most likely going to get a port over to the west if the first in the series does well enough. Which I have no doubts about! Consoles are making big mistakes with the always online and backwards compatibility stuff.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Quote Originally Posted by Shininglight View Post
    Well the thing is too, Tales of Xillia 2 is only available on the PS3 and that is most likely going to get a port over to the west if the first in the series does well enough. Which I have no doubts about! Consoles are making big mistakes with the always online and backwards compatibility stuff.
    I agree, Though I do understand that Backwards compatibility does tend to push up the price of consoles (especially when the architecture is radically different like the PS3 and the PS4 (and to a smaller extent PS2). Always online is just another DRM that fails to do what it is indented to do, and so long as its only Microsoft who does it i could care less in my daily life, but worry about the future if it remains a persistent trend.

Looks like some horrible final fantasy rip off ...sadly ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    How when they have completely different battle systems? Plus final fantasy was a casualized dragon warrior rip off.

Alway up for a good jrpg,hmm August 6th long time to wait.

Only played Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube which was one of the best rpgs I've ever played, never tried any of the other ones though as I got kind of bored of single player games no matter how good they are.

Also, that first video's tumbnail, the guy looks a lot like Lelouche from Code Geass, then again it seems to be a popular model for Anime heroes as Kirito from SoA looks a lot like it as well.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    No no no no...NEVER SAY THAT! Final Fantasy made the mistake of trying to make 'change' every game.

The Tales series learned from other games and kept the same battle system since the first game in '95-'96 with Tales of Phantasia. They only made improvements each and every game. If you played the games in the series, you would know! I lost interest in FF after X, I turned towards the Tales series and to me...it's my new Final Fantasy. I never doubt a new release in the series. They have kept up the high expectations for me for every game released. I have not once been disappointed. Some things here and there, but not a disappointment to the point where I don't like the series or don't finish the game.

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PingPong View Post
    Alway up for a good jrpg,hmm August 6th long time to wait.
    To me, it's better to wait then to have a rushed game Many developers make that mistake. Look where Square Enix has gone with the Final Fantasy series. Namco Bandai can take all the time they want to polish the game!

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    I agree, Though I do understand that Backwards compatibility does tend to push up the price of consoles (especially when the architecture is radically different like the PS3 and the PS4 (and to a smaller extent PS2). Always online is just another DRM that fails to do what it is indented to do, and so long as its only Microsoft who does it i could care less in my daily life, but worry about the future if it remains a persistent trend.
    Yeah I just don't get the real reason why it 'can't' be backwords compatible. Last I heard they said it was 'difficult' which I don't understand that logic? I don't know. I'm not a developer or any of the sort. But it just sounds fishy. I hope they do find a solution to it. I do want to get a PS4 but I don't really want to have a PS3 and PS4 hooked up to the same TV. I'm already tied to a 360 and PS3. Can't fit another.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Yeah I just don't get the real reason why it 'can't' be backwords compatible. Last I heard they said it was 'difficult' which I don't understand that logic? I don't know. I'm not a developer or any of the sort. But it just sounds fishy. I hope they do find a solution to it. I do want to get a PS4 but I don't really want to have a PS3 and PS4 hooked up to the same TV. I'm already tied to a 360 and PS3. Can't fit another.
    This is basically the reason as I understand it:

The cell processor in the PS3 would be to expensive to just put in to the PS4 solely for PS3 games, but at the same time emulating the cell processor is incredibly resource intensive on a standard x86 processor (like the one used in the PS4, also one of the reasons why there has yet to be a stable PS3 emulator for the pc yet) so Sony would have to spend large amounts of money and there by increase the cost of the PS4, which they don't want to do, because it could cause a repeat of the Ps3 launch where it was the most expensive of the consoles.

Also if you get an HDMI hub you could have you PS3,Xbox 360, PS4, WIIu, and 720 plugged in. I have 3 console plugged in now and my computer, plus a Wii and 360 that are being used by other people at them moment, and there is still room for more!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, this reminds me that I still need to play through Tales of Graces F. I'm just hoping I'll have enough money to pick up Xillia somewhat close to its release date since Tales of games tend to go rather quickly and get a serious price hike due to unavailability.

i find this funny because it has no familiarity to any final fantasy at all lol

I have ToX 1 & 2 in japanese

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    This is basically the reason as I understand it:

The cell processor in the PS3 would be to expensive to just put in to the PS4 solely for PS3 games, but at the same time emulating the cell processor is incredibly resource intensive on a standard x86 processor (like the one used in the PS4, also one of the reasons why there has yet to be a stable PS3 emulator for the pc yet) so Sony would have to spend large amounts of money and there by increase the cost of the PS4, which they don't want to do, because it could cause a repeat of the Ps3 launch where it was the most expensive of the consoles.

Also if you get an HDMI hub you could have you PS3,Xbox 360, PS4, WIIu, and 720 plugged in. I have 3 console plugged in now and my computer, plus a Wii and 360 that are being used by other people at them moment, and there is still room for more!
    Ah okay that explains it! If that's the case, wouldn't it be possible to somehow get the games you own already from disk and transfer them to the HDD? Or that you could buy the PS3 games from the PS Store and play them like the same way with PS3 playing PS2 games, etc? If not..that's really lame :/

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WhereAmI View Post
    Ah, this reminds me that I still need to play through Tales of Graces F. I'm just hoping I'll have enough money to pick up Xillia somewhat close to its release date since Tales of games tend to go rather quickly and get a serious price hike due to unavailability.
    I did preorder it, and if they are unavailable, I hope they put it on the Playstation Store as an alternative

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    i find this funny because it has no familiarity to any final fantasy at all lol

I have ToX 1 & 2 in japanese
    I wanted to get both of them in English, but I don't have the expenses to pay for them. Especially knowing I like to get a game brand new. Had many issues in the past, especially with Tales of Symphonia. Both disks were scrathed to the point that I would get a disk error.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah okay that explains it! If that's the case, wouldn't it be possible to somehow get the games you own already from disk and transfer them to the HDD? Or that you could buy the PS3 games from the PS Store and play them like the same way with PS3 playing PS2 games, etc? If not..that's really lame :/

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 11:53 PM ----------

I did preorder it, and if they are unavailable, I hope they put it on the Playstation Store as an alternative

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 11:55 PM ----------

I wanted to get both of them in English, but I don't have the expenses to pay for them. Especially knowing I like to get a game brand new. Had many issues in the past, especially with Tales of Symphonia. Both disks were scrathed to the point that I would get a disk error.
    You can buy ps3 games on the store and stream them sorta like onlive. You have to rebuy them though and it's not gonna be available at launch as of right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how you made that connection. I've played many titles from both series. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The combat is just mobs standing there while you attack them. I don't get it.

Edit: Watched the English voice gameplay vid. The combat looks horrible. Every time you encounter a mob it does a little Pokemon-style pause just to get into combat. Literally 3 seconds after the player goes through a battle, he jumps right into another one, just like walking through the grass in Pokemon. How does that not drive people crazy in this day and age?
    Sure, for common enemies.

But really, most of the game is about keeping a combo going. Many boss characters will build up a stagger immunity if they are vulnerable to stagger. You could always turn up the difficulty if it's not difficult enough.

I would appreciate if the game's combos had as much depth as, say, the most recent Devil May Cry game does though. I honestly haven't looked at Xillia since I don't have a PS3 and have no intention of owning one, but Vesperia was a bit of a disappointment. Combat was faster, more fluid and from an overall perspective, more fun in past games like Symphonia and Abyss.

I still have no idea why they raped backstep in Vesperia.

I think though, that the games' selling points, are that the games are very beautiful and are JRPGs. I wouldn't refute the claim that it's an acquired taste.

They also have pretty good soundtracks, but I know a soundtrack does not make a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You can buy ps3 games on the store and stream them sorta like onlive. You have to rebuy them though and it's not gonna be available at launch as of right now.
    Oh okay, I'll have to keep an eye on that!

Thanks ^.^

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 07:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I'm not sure how you made that connection. I've played many titles from both series. I don't get it.

Sure, for common enemies.

But really, most of the game is about keeping a combo going. Many boss characters will build up a stagger immunity if they are vulnerable to stagger. You could always turn up the difficulty if it's not difficult enough.

I would appreciate if the game's combos had as much depth as, say, the most recent Devil May Cry game does though. I honestly haven't looked at Xillia since I don't have a PS3 and have no intention of owning one, but Vesperia was a bit of a disappointment. Combat was faster, more fluid and from an overall perspective, more fun in past games like Symphonia and Abyss.

I still have no idea why they raped backstep in Vesperia.

I think though, that the games' selling points, are that the games are very beautiful and are JRPGs. I wouldn't refute the claim that it's an acquired taste.

They also have pretty good soundtracks, but I know a soundtrack does not make a game.
    Actually, I forgot about backstep! The series is very beautiful. I always try to get any anime or RPG fan to at least give the games a try once with a half hour in to see what they think. In Graces F's case though, it would be about an hour or so depending just because of the long childhood playthrough (tutorial more or less). I liked the childhood part, which killed the combat system for me, which was understandable. But if I knew people that were trying it for the first time, they would've most likely been turned away (maybe). Once you get to the adult arc, it was one of the best experiences for combat I could ever remember!

Deleted
    ah back step, the way it could be spammed back in symp was quite overpowered actually :P, it was faster then just running back from what i recall

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    ah back step, the way it could be spammed back in symp was quite overpowered actually :P, it was faster then just running back from what i recall
    Yes! I remember that

Deleted
    Has there been a EU release date for this yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemin View Post
    Has there been a EU release date for this yet?
    There has not yet But I'm sure it'll be around the same time or on August 6th as well

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember anything being majorly different about backstep in Vespera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    I don't remember anything being majorly different about backstep in Vespera.
    I can't really recall either. I should play it again just to see for myself