Thread: DDoSing in RBGs

DDoSing in RBGs

Today I was playing with some friends at around 2050 MMR. Nothing major, but we had been beating some pretty good teams. We had lost a few games due to having to PuG a not-so-great tank, so our MMR tanked to ~1990. We queued into a 2075ish team, and we weren't too worried about it. Go for the speed cap, mage rogue slow efc, etc etc. As soon as the gates open - our rogue DCs from skype and is running in place. He then goes offline and doesn't return online until around 5 minutes. -Apparently- someone talked to the DK that they had and the DK admitted that a shaman named *snip* was DDoSing - I don't know why the shaman did it that game, we weren't even playing against him. Who knows. Anyways, just making this post as a warning to people - DDoS does happen below 2200, believe it or not. I didn't think it did, I was never worried about DDoS, but I guess I have to now. Watch out for this shaman named *snip* (apparently he also has a hunter named *snip*) and also watch out for the team we ended up queueing into.

*snip*

Infracted for naming and shaming.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-06 at 05:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you really think you got DDOS'd report it to Blizzard, it's far more effective than trying to name and shame someone (which I may have to take action against, debating it still). Not only is it against the EULA, but it's actually a criminal offense - albeit one that never gets prosecuted.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Why even debate it, the rules are pretty clear cut on what naming and shaming is:

Naming & Shaming
    We don't want to see one sided accusations or any other form of naming and shaming. Armory links to characters that are not your own will be deleted, as will character names and servers.
    Without any proof, which the OP would not be able to come up with anyways, it just sounds as though the OP is making shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Why even debate it, the rules are pretty clear cut on what naming and shaming is:

Without any proof, which the OP would not be able to come up with anyways, it just sounds as though the OP is making shit up.
    I doubt he is making it up, DDoSing is happens more often then you think when it comes to rated battlegrounds
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    If you really think you got DDOS'd report it to Blizzard, it's far more effective than trying to name and shame someone (which I may have to take action against, debating it still). Not only is it against the EULA, but it's actually a criminal offense - albeit one that never gets prosecuted.
    Isn't it strictly against the forum rules here tho? (maybe shouldn't discuss forum rules with a mod but still)

And blizzard can't really do anything from what I can tell. Been talking to some people playing a lot of PvP that's been experiencing it even when doing raids etc. Mainly what's happening is a single DoS (DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service, and would indicate that it's a network of computers behind the attack wich is not true in any cases I've seen) attack from 1 persons computer wich is enough to bring down home networks. They get your IP etc over skype not from wows servers (so blizzard really got 0 power here). There's software allowing you to block out IPs from acessing you or you can attempt to call your ISP and ask them to give you a new IP.

In general this whole thing with DoS attacks over a non competetive game (as in no price pools) is just silly. At first when I got told about it I just thougt it was some stupid excuse to blame for failing in a raid.

And people have been prosecuted for doing it in lager scales just not on a person to person level (yet).

Naming and shaming where it's blatantly deserved (usually for illegal or just plain assholish behavior) is accepted according to one of the mods when the last time people were posting Russian RBG teams camping 3.1k teams
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

This just in, shit players have to DoS to attempt to not be shit.
    More at 11.
    Updating my signature from my WoD characters.

Yikes.

Probably better than you, probably also a casual these days. Go on, keep being elitist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yvaelle you lazy!

If anyone has problems with DDoSing, I suggest taking a look at http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/22...nting-ddosing/
    Anyway, I'm going to lock this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Naming and shaming where it's blatantly deserved (usually for illegal or just plain assholish behavior) is accepted according to one of the mods when the last time people were posting Russian RBG teams camping 3.1k teams
    That was with proof, this thread has none, it's just hearsay.