Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fire Mage vs Heroic Horridon 10

Hi

The Mage in my raid team seems to be on the bottom rung of damage while we are versing heroic horridon, yet i see some amazing parses on world of logs for Fire mages. I was wondering if any skilled mages could explain what they do on each door to maximise their dps on this encounter?

Logs for analysis of what Shadowarcane is doing wrong. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...ses&boss=68476 and this one

Thanks in advance for any help
    Hi

Blow combust when u have 5 adds. Nt dot a lot

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Nether Tempest > Living Bomb for Horridon.

Note: He's top 3 damage on all priority targets: Wastwalkers, Veno Priest, Frozen Warlords, War Bears, Shaman.

Other players are doing mass AoE and Cleave and Multidot'ing

If adds die fast enough, you might want to ask him to do so (more AoE that is).
    If your RL is putting heavy emphasis on killing priority adds first, then he's just following instructions.

(Also: I agree with what Hasufer and Brydie wrote)
    Last edited by Windry; 2013-04-06 at 10:43 AM.

Deleted
    To maximize the DPS you spread Combustion onto as many ads as you can and then going allout on Horridon since he takes 50% more DMG after evry door. When the Warlord jumps down after the last door you must make sure to only focus Horridon since he takes 200% more DMG.

Deleted
    Combustion damage is low. This is what I've heard re: tactics - combust on the first door adds (when all the balcony adds are down) and spread. For each following door, combust on Horridon (since he takes 50% more damage) and spread to the adds.

What I personally do is use combustion on the adds every time all the balcony adds have dropped (since we have Horridon tanked quite far, and it's hard to spread to the adds), and combustion was my #2 damage dealer on our kill this week, with average ticks of 32k. Looking at a couple of attempts with your mage, his combustion is #7 damage dealer with average ticks of 7k-18k.

So what you want to do is find out how he's using combustion, and also ask him to build a bigger ignite before using combustion.

I'm also going to third what some other people have said here with Nether Tempest > Living Bomb.

Am I wrong saying combustion only spread to 1 additional target so advice such as spread to as many adds as possible is useless ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Am I wrong saying combustion only spread to 1 additional target so advice such as spread to as many adds as possible is useless ?
    Yes, you are! Glyph of Inferno Blast says "your Inferno Blast spell spreads Pyroblast, Ignite, and Combustion to 1 additional target.", on top of the fact that Inferno Blast already "spreads any Pyroblast, Ignite, and Combustion effects to up to 3 nearby enemy targets within 10 yards."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by katmage View Post
    Combustion damage is low. This is what I've heard re: tactics - combust on the first door adds (when all the balcony adds are down) and spread. For each following door, combust on Horridon (since he takes 50% more damage) and spread to the adds.

What I personally do is use combustion on the adds every time all the balcony adds have dropped (since we have Horridon tanked quite far, and it's hard to spread to the adds), and combustion was my #2 damage dealer on our kill this week, with average ticks of 32k. Looking at a couple of attempts with your mage, his combustion is #7 damage dealer with average ticks of 7k-18k.

So what you want to do is find out how he's using combustion, and also ask him to build a bigger ignite before using combustion.

I'm also going to third what some other people have said here with Nether Tempest > Living Bomb.
    The bolded part depends a lot on your tanks, the hitbox from which you are spreading dots from horridon is really bad so the adds need to be taken quite close to him.

Also, I'm going to FOURTH that NT > LB by quite a far margin.

He should also make sure he uses AT when he has a hot streak + heating up proc to guarantee a lot of pyroblasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi Hasufer, still maging about I see!

What I'm doing personally is to combust always boss and otherwise nuke adds since our dps on adds is enough (25m heroic). Multi dot with NT try to spread out pyro dots as much as possible maybe glyph of cone of cold could help abit aswell and as said when you combust adds tanks should bring adds under horridon for awhile so you can spread combust on multiple targets with high dmg.

Deleted
    Comparing anyone to top parses on WoL is silly

Your most likely looking at people who killed several heroic bosses from week one of heroic being available.

And to be honest, your mage doesnt look that bad. His damage is fine

Lol yo Rata ;D Long time no see! How's it hanging, still raiding full time?^^

Deleted
    The big bonus from using LB over NT on horridon is that it knocks back that pink dino. On my trys ( normally around 3/4 door ) LB was ahead by 1% on my meters. In the burn phase at the end NT will pull ahead but the hardest part is before that, the adds. So for me LB is better, instant knockback for the pink dino and around same dps on the adds.

Deleted
    Pretty sure spreaded Combustions don't get a bonus from DMG-Multipliers anymore... didn't they fix it sometime during Heart of Fear?

NT knocks back the pink Dino too when you apply it. Nether Tempest is basically always better than Living Bomb since Infernoblast doesnt spread it anymore. Only scenario would be when you constantly have 3 Targets standing on the same spot which you never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Pretty sure spreaded Combustions don't get a bonus from DMG-Multipliers anymore... didn't they fix it sometime during Heart of Fear?

NT knocks back the pink Dino too when you apply it. Nether Tempest is basically always better than Living Bomb since Infernoblast doesnt spread it anymore. Only scenario would be when you constantly have 3 Targets standing on the same spot which you never have.
    I tested this again tonight and you are right, both LB and NT knock it back. For some reason my mouse over marco for NT dosnt knock it back but my marco for LB does. The marco works, puts NT on the target, just dosnt knock it back. Im sure theres some simple reason for it and i just havnt worked it out yet. But thats why i thought NT didnt knock it back.

Deleted
    It's the combat between big number DPS and usefulness.

For Big number : stay on Horridon and spread you Combustion. It won't give the best result in cleaning adds but you will have the best DPS.
    For Usefulness : focus on Priority and spread your Combustion from the dinomancers. It won't give the best DPS but it will give the best utility : downing quickly the dino to be able to use the orb.

Another factor : if it always the same that use the orb, it's DPS will be less because of the channel time.
    Last factor : a good portion of the DPS came from the second part of the fight where all door are down.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post

While this is true the ignites used to build the combustion will still be buffed and stronger, therefore the combustion will be stronger than a standard one, even if it loses the bonus given to combustion as well.
    Daft Punk Forever!

Deleted
    what talents are the best for firemage to make it easier for healers?
    i'm using flameglow + glyph of armor and crauterize..good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mrright2 View Post
    what talents are the best for firemage to make it easier for healers?
    i'm using flameglow + glyph of armor and crauterize..good choice?
    On H-Horridon especially I would use Temporal Shield over Flameglow. You're not (or shouldn't be) taking consistent damage such that Flameglow is a viable option. You can, however, Temporal Shield every Dire Call, which definitely lightens the burden on healers (especially during the final burn).