Thread: US - EU switch

10+ Year Old Account

US - EU switch

Ok so this is a very specialized question I suppose but I'm sure there are some like me who have thought or done it before. I live in the US and run the US WoW (MoP upgraded). I now work in the middle east and trying to play back on US servers is rough I constantly have between 400-1k ms. Here are my questions:
    1. Is there a way I can play on EU servers with my US WoW game?
    2. Would I have to buy a new EU WoW game (and download a new game)to play on EU servers?
    3. Would playing on EU servers lower my latency ie would it be worth it?

there are other minor question I have left out but ultimately, I still have loads of downtime here and would like to continue playing but the latency is just killing me, so basically is there a way I can still enjoy my game but clear up the latency? I am open to any knowledgeable suggestions, and no I cannot upgrade my internet / switch out providers in anyway.

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Depends on what server you're on and only barely.

However, it's probably no the server location that's messing with your latency and probably whatever isp you're using in the middle east, I can't suspect it being very good.

Ask your other minor questions and I'll answer if I can.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    mmm i dont know much about the subject,
    1: but im pretty sure i did read somewhere that you cant play on EU with your US acount. *atleast not with the toons etc. you would have to start from scrap again*
    2: aint there an option in battle.net to change your region?
    3: If you ar in the middle east then yes you would have lower latency. if its worth it is personal preference.. for like pvp it sure would be better.

1. yes, just change your config file to pickup the EU logon server
    2. you only have to buy the account, no need to redownload.
    3. i know 2 middle eastern players who have acceptable latency afaik so it should be a lot better than 400/1k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deschim View Post
    2: aint there an option in battle.net to change your region?
    this would be ideal, i'll try and do some digging

Deleted
    for lower latency i'd suggest testing with the free lvl20 trial and switch to an eu server to see how much the impact is before making the switch

and you'd have to buy a complete new edition of wow sadly us wow keys are bound to wow us and can't be used with the EU editions of wow

the location switch only changes your billing region etc not the actual physicall edition of wow you have attached to bnet if i recall right

You will need to buy a European WoW licence that you can apply to your battle.net account.
    You will need to buy the expansion packs for that licence to be able to play MoP.
    You will likely have a reduced latency simply because it is less far from the Middle East to Europe (Frankfurt, Germany) than it is to the USA; how big the reduction will be I cannot say.
    You should be able to use the US client, however I would recommend simply downloading the European one to avoid issues like the launcher installing patches on the US schedule (Tuesday) resulting in you not being able to play that day.

1. while changing the config file will let you access the EU servers, the game will tell you you don't have any EU licenses on your account (you'll need to buy another.
    2. while you can change your battle.net's region, your licenses on the game will still be NA only.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    1. yes, just change your config file to pickup the EU logon server
    mind explaining how one does this?

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    this would be ideal, i'll try and do some digging
    2. while you can change your battle.net's region, your licenses on the game will still be NA only and you'll need to purchase EU ones.

---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 09:54 AM ----------

All this does is prevent you from having to redownload the game, you'll still need a new account and to start again from scratch.

your account is bound to the region (us characters can't play on eu), but you can easily change your client to connect to eu servers
    buy yes, download no
    test it, read this article https://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...-pathping-test and do some pings, then you have an idea of the difference, post your results here and i may help

---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 03:01 PM ----------

edit the config.wtf in your wow/wtf directors, change "enUS" to "enGB", then start the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raqi View Post
    edit the config.wtf in your wow/wtf directors, change "enUS" to "enGB", then start the game.
    apparently I can't open that that .wtf file

windows? use editor or notepad

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW, I went from 456ms on US Mannoroth to 79ms on EU Echo Isles... much thanks guys.