Poll: Will you purchase?

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoomin View Post
    Well it looks like I found the problem right here. Let me put it bluntly, why the FUCK would I want to play offline, online? That makes zero, literally zero sense whatsoever. If I WANT TO PLAY OFFLINE (don't try and make it sound like players are being forced to play offline, they aren't) why should I have to deal with the issues of those who WANT TO PLAY ONLINE? Sure, I may not be gaining what you consider "benefits", but I am certainly not being as inconvenienced as I would be playing online.
    That comment was in reference to the fact that you can't bring an offline character online. So if you want to play offline and then want to play online with friends using that character, there is no possible way for that to be accommodated. Forcing online means that people can always play with each other on any character

There are many reasons to play offline online, although the comment wasn't in reference to that. For example, being a mouseclick away from arguing with stubborn people on internet forums is one of many such benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoinky View Post
    Ironically that page isn't loading (502 Bad Gateway)
    Reload it... it did the same to me at first too
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoinky View Post
    Ironically that page isn't loading (502 Bad Gateway)
    Here's a different link

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=63383

I don't know that this will save the XBOX. There's already been a lot of damage done by letting the always online rumor persist for so long + Oreth's twitters about it.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    That comment was in reference to the fact that you can't bring an offline character online. So if you want to play offline and then want to play online with friends using that character, there is no possible way for that to be accommodated. Forcing online means that people can always play with each other on any charact

There are many reasons to play offline online, although the comment wasn't in reference to that. For example, being a mouseclick away from arguing with stubborn people on internet forums.
    lol? Okay, let me put it this way...

PROPER CONSOLE SETUP:

Person A sees that there is an option to create a character for online, and one for offline. If you want to use what you earned online in your offline experience (should you choose to play that) you can, however due to the issues with offline being "hackable" this does not go both ways. The person acknowledges this, and goes on to play online without much regard for offline, as they always would. However, person B is an offline player who does not want to pay per month to play online, he sees no benefit to online play anyway, and decides he wants to play offline without ever touching online, thankfully, he can.

STUPID, IRRELEVANT, POINTLESS ALWAYS ONLINE SETUP:

Person A is an online player, he can play online all of the time since his console is always-online. Person B does not want to play online, but is being forced to anyway, causing more stress on the servers and rendering player A's (who enjoys online) experience a worse one, making player A unhappy. Player B is also unhappy because of the same issues, and the fact that he lives in an area with a lower speed internet connection, that is ruining his experience.

So, with that being said, I again pose the question, why the FUCK would I want to play offline online?

Deleted
    They pushed the retarded tablet/smartphone concept for Windows 8 and it was an unmitigated disaster for MS. Not sure how much gaming contributes to their bottom line, but even as a huge monopolist, you can only afford a limited number of blunders in a row.

Maybe MS is learning after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoomin View Post
    lol? Okay, let me put it this way...

PROPER CONSOLE SETUP:

Person A sees that there is an option to create a character for online, and one for offline. If you want to use what you earned online in your offline experience (should you choose to play that) you can, however due to the issues with offline being "hackable" this does not go both ways. The person acknowledges this, and goes on to play online without much regard for offline, as they always would. However, person B is an offline player who does not want to pay per month to play online, he sees no benefit to online play anyway, and decides he wants to play offline without ever touching online, thankfully, he can.

STUPID, IRRELEVANT, POINTLESS ALWAYS ONLINE SETUP:

Person A is an online player, he can play online all of the time since his console is always-online. Person B does not want to play online, but is being forced to anyway, causing more stress on the servers and rendering player A's (who enjoys online) experience a worse one, making player A unhappy. Player B is also unhappy because of the same issues, and the fact that he lives in an area with a lower speed internet connection, that is ruining his experience.

So, with that being said, I again pose the question, why the FUCK would I want to play offline online?
    Now you've successfully split the community 3-way, and created artificial blocks preventing characters from playing with each other.

I've already explained the benefits of playing offline online. Being able to talk to friends, being able to interact with the community, having one unified game community that can play with each other whenever they want, etc. Other things haven't been mentioned include: achievements, stats, competition (yes, even in single player games).

Maybe you don't care about these things. But in order to have one unified game community, where people can interact, where achievements and stats and ladder rankings are legitimate, everyone needs to be online. So, you're forced to be online in order that everyone gets these benefits. It's like how you're forced to pay taxes so that society can benefit from social programs and government spending, even if you don't benefit from these things. In short, it's for the greater good.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-04-11 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Now you've successfully split the community 3-way, and created artificial blocks preventing characters from playing with each other.

I've already explained the benefits of playing offline online. Being able to talk to friends, being able to interact with the community, having one unified game community that can play with each other whenever they want, etc. Other things haven't been mentioned include: achievements, stats, competition (yes, even in single player games).

Maybe you don't care about these things. But in order to have one unified game community, where people can interact, where achievements and stats and ladder rankings are legitimate, everyone needs to be online. So, you're forced to be online in order that everyone gets these benefits. It's like how you're forced to pay taxes so that society can benefit from social programs and government spending, even if you don't benefit from these things. In short, it's for the greater good.
    Holy.
    Fuck.

Okay, let me put some base points down here.

1. There are anti-social no-friend no-lifers out there who do not want ANYTHING to do with other people, what about them?
    2. Leaderboards and game tracking? Integrate in the the games website based off of single-player achievement tracking, it has worked for YEARS now and will continue to show amazing functionality for online and offline players.
    3. Unified community, people interacting...so you want to make every game an MMO now? No thanks, I bet next you'll want me to pay $15 a month for the game on top of my online Xbox service too, huh?
    4. "Being able to talk to friends" Last I checked, even on the current Xbox console, I can talk in party chat even while I play the Witcher (an entirely single player game) hmmmmmmm, interesting concept there.
    5. I have prevented zero blocks whatsoever. Offline players want to play offline, online players want online, those are two separate groups regardless. Why mix them together to create one large unhappy community? I'd rather keep them separate and happy doing what they do best.
    8. Go away Orth no one likes you, that's why you got fired.
    Last edited by Hoomin; 2013-04-11 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by facerollin View Post
    Exactly this, so many greasy nerds complaining when their shit wont work 0.01% of the time, my power/internet hasn't gone out in the last 18 months at all.

Stop whinging holy shit.
    Mine has. Goes out often in a thunderstorm, and the internet drops out a few times a week.

England had shit connection, all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

I wasn't planning on getting the new Xbox regardless of always online. The PS4 is looking much better from a gaming standpoint. Regardless, I'll probably just hold off on any console for a good while and continue playing on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Straton View Post
    I wasn't planning on getting the new Xbox regardless of always online. The PS4 is looking much better from a gaming standpoint. Regardless, I'll probably just hold off on any console for a good while and continue playing on the PC.
    How you know it looks better without first seeing the xbox, because it has to be better or why? PS4 in itself looks already good though, but trying to compare it to the xbox which nobody knows anything about it makes no sense, obviously the PS4 is better right now as there are no xbox informations but only ridiculous derailed rumors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by facerollin View Post
    Exactly this, so many greasy nerds complaining when their shit wont work 0.01% of the time, my power/internet hasn't gone out in the last 18 months at all.

Stop whinging holy shit.

Greasy nerds do not get stomped and humiliated by money grubbing corporations with shady business practice. They become their fanboys.

We all know what this kind of DRM does to video games. They make them unplayable because the servers suck, not because my internet sucks. I love how gaming companies lose more money through their DRMs than the imaginary money they think they lose because of piracy. I couldn't help but laugh at Diablo 3 and Sim City releases, because they're shitty games and deserved it anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-04-11 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Same reason why IF Sony was on top, its evangelists would be saying the same thing.. it's the all or nothing mentality...
    That makes as much sense as bragging about SimCity's sales.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look how bad it was with Diablo 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Certainly agree with this comment.
    Wouldn't surprise me if this leak is intentional damage control. Try and stop the rot, runaway bad press and the PS4 momentum without looking weak and bringing their reveal forward.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My consoles (which aren't online now) are for games I want to play with the people sitting next to me on the couch. If I want to sit and play a game primarily with people thousands of miles away I'll do it on my PC, which is always hooked to the internet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    It was amusing for the reason that Russia is a huge country and the internet connectivity in it vary also to a huge degree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Russia
    So yes using a small country in africa would be a better line in for your what ifs.

As to your claim of US only at 2/3 or 3/4 66% or 75% ,which is it? . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch3e3d.png <- thats from 2006, you draw your own conculsion of how it looks today or http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadba...rica/2012/july if you want.
    http://www.pewresearch.org/data-tren...t-penetration/
    66% on broadband
    3% on dialup
    31% on nothing
    in the US of A as of 2012

And why would Africa be a better line when they would be even worse, but not a 1st world country like Russia? I am looking for a comparable average for a country that has many people that can afford the console and have the ability to use it.

If I was in the market for a console, honestly this wouldn't deter me. I'm a PC gamer, so I'm always 100% online anyhow, so am rather used to it. I personally find the DLC scheme adapted by so many game companies far more offensive than a required connection.

I'd be a little surprised if they made this a requirement with the upcoming console, especially if Sony decides to NOT implement the same sort of thing.

Consoles are in a weird place right now. None of them are going to be particularly big technological leaps, and none of them (from what I know) seem ready to address and utilize 4k screen resolutions, assuming that they become embraced and the price drops accordingly (which should happen over the next several years).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually sad to see people voted yes. How could you support shit like this? Anyway, there is no way in hell I will buy this if it has to be always online. When I play a game I like to just relax and play the game without any interruptions (internet connections). If I'm playing a single player game and I'm really getting immersed in the world and the story of the game and then all of sudden a internet connection error pops up and ends the game, I am going to be pretty damn pissed off. I'm still amazed how people just don't realize that with these kind of systems, no internet means a $300-$500 worthless pile of junk laying there on your table/desk/floor which also means those 20 games you have for it are also worthless.

Only system I know for sure I will be buying is the Wii U. I MIGHT get a PS4, it's the only other next gen console that looks pretty interesting but if it has any bullshit like not being able to play used games or DRM shit or any other stupid crap that affects the way you play the games for it, I will not be getting it. To be honest though these next gen consoles (PS4 and Xbox 720) seem pretty unnecessary. I mean really, how much different could they be compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 except for a few new functions and more unnecessary social add ons and improved graphics. Couldn't they have just upgraded the current ones? I mean how far could they possibly go with making new consoles?
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-04-12 at 07:27 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

If Xbox goes always online it will be a large shock, do you think they are unaware of the fan hate for AO? The console gaming market is highly competitive, do you think one company is just going to shoot themselves in the foot before the race starts?

I do not see the point in a console any more though, the line for console and PC is so blured nowa days it seems pointless to me.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    How could you support shit like this?
    They don't actually realize how it can impact them, or they just don't care. Meh... Its hardly like "unimpeded by the thought process" is any sort of crime. If it was, we would need a lot bigger prisons.