Thread: Vgrabber....

Vgrabber....

Well, I wasn't sure if this was the right thread of if I should of posted it on the cleaning virus's and keylogger post but I couldn't find anything relating to this little ankle bitter on there

Right, so here I am putting a bet on the GN on Friday, 6 quid left so I though I'd spend it since I couldn't withdraw it, (betfred btw) so here I am clicking a link to open a game and a pop up comes up, plays it fine, so I go to another one and this time the pop up says I need adobe flash installed, so I think wtf, but then I thought well I just did spend 2 days cleaning shit of the computer as I had another virus at the time, so I completely cleaned it out, I thought I must of hit adobe to uninstall by accident,

So remember this came up off the betfred website not a random site before you flame me for downloading from a pop up

anyways after its all installed it starts saying crap like make this your default search engine etc etc, ofc I said no, but it went and did it anyways, so thats when alarm bells sounded, and this "Vgrabber" popped up as my default toolbar and my search engine,

Researched it, and its a nasty one that stops other browsers from working slowly and eventually screws everything up over time,

so I did

a scan, nothing reported, but it was still there
    I ran safe mode did a scan and removed it through control panel, still there
    So I did a system restore to two weeks ago (give or take) and I then ran another full scan and got rid of 90 threats,

It was gone by last night, so I went about my business, went to sleep, booted the laptop up this morning, and its back!

so any ideas how to get rid of it?

download and run combofix it got rid of all the problems i ever had and does a reg clean too

Anything different than combofix? just reading a few reviews and it says if you have no experience using it, not to use it as it can bugger up the computer in un-experienced hands

meh there is nothing u have to do really just close all background programs and let it run
    otherwise i don't have other options in mind sorry

Okay cheers, Ill give it a go then

10+ Year Old Account
    MalwareBytes.

Detects everything I have ever seen, just run quick or full scan, quick is normally recommended and takes about 5min depending on your computer obviously.

Did a little research, most people are saying system restore but you said you already did that.

Try seeing if you can find something named "Search by Conduit" in your control panel, remove this.

Someone else also recommended going to your addons in each of your brothers and removing, I'm not sure it would show up in that though.
    Last edited by Teokis; 2013-04-07 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

Easiest way (if it works) is to boot up into safe mode with command prompt, start up system restore and simply restore to an earlier time before you got the virus. Then just boot up like normal and run a virus scanner to make sure it cleans up any remains of the virus on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    Easiest way (if it works) is to boot up into safe mode with command prompt, start up system restore and simply restore to an earlier time before you got the virus. Then just boot up like normal and run a virus scanner to make sure it cleans up any remains of the virus on your computer.
    Tried it, and restored to two weeks ago, and followed with a full scan for a few hours in safe mode, as I say it picked up 90 threats, got rid of them, booted up normally and it had gone, but this morning its re appeared,

Okay just thought Id post a update here

Malware bytes picked up a bunch of crap on my system, so thanks very much for that suggestion,

However, even running it in safe mode multiple times, that dammed toolbar that screws everything over was still there, still screwing me over,

I went to try combofix, but some dodgy looking pop ups appeared trying to download this that and everything so I aborted that, just based on my exp I'd say avoid that program / website

Now, getting severly pissed off I couldn't get rid of it, I was about to take it to the shop and see what they can do, when I remebered Mr. Robles last suggestion

Someone else also recommended going to your addons in each of your brothers and removing, I'm not sure it would show up in that though.
    So last effort, I did that, and there the little fucker was hiding uninstalled it from there, reactivated all my protection, closed the browser, opened it, working faster than ever!

So my suggestion to anyone who gets this little ankle fucker,

1. Installed Malware Bytes (free version) from here, http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp_form/ (Google MalwareBytes if your anxious about clicking a link on a forum ;p)

2. Go to your Add ons, and uninstall "Vgrabber" from there, and close the browser straight away,

3. Go to Control Panel, and uninstall anything called "search by conduit" Also check to see if any programs were installed on the date that "Vgrabber" appeared, if its not familiar, get rid of it

4. (Once the download of MalwareBytes is done) Reboot your computer in Safe Mode, plain old Safe Mode, not with networking not with command prompts,

5. Launch Malware Bytes,

6. Do a full Scan (Mine took roughly 1 hour 21 minutes, for the first 10-20 seconds the timer will freeze on one second, don't worry just wait it out, and half way through it will freeze and the mouse do the loading icon, again wait it out)

7. On completion, reboot like normal and check your browser, I would also double check add ons to make sure any protection didn't go off and make sure you got rid of it!

Again I would just like to thank you guys for helping me sort it out