Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

best profession for money with minimal effort

What profession makes a good amount of money? I was thinking about skinning? Just kill that, skin it, sell it

And how much does 600 engineering cost?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering is extremely expensive to level up.
    Depending on the server, the price may be up to 15-20k to get it to 600.

And best profession to earn gold with for minimal effort is mining in my opinion.
    Sell as ore, sell as bar, both sell rather well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    Engineering is extremely expensive to level up.
    Depending on the server, the price may be up to 15-20k to get it to 600.

And best profession to earn gold with for minimal effort is mining in my opinion.
    Sell as ore, sell as bar, both sell rather well.
    I do find it extremely boring to just fly around finding notes compared to combat. Is there a big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    I do find it extremely boring to just fly around finding notes compared to combat. Is there a big difference?
    Depending on how many other people have those professions, and depending on how often they farm, I guess there wouldn't be to big of a difference.
    Leather however, as I've noticed myself as a Leatherworker, doesn't seem to be in such a high demand.

Then again, it's depending on the server, which classes that play there, and how much gold people want to spend on "Whatever"

Edit:
    To clarify something: Asking which profession would be best, isn't really helpful, as each server has it's own economy.
    I would recommend you use Market Watcher and Auctioneer to scan your AH, and look at the prices of each of the "Gathering profession mats".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Alchemy imo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Alchemy imo
    Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
    Buy mats of AH according to the Mastery you have, sell the crafts

No need to kill or go out in the world

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Alchemy as the path of least resistance. It won't get you the most gold, but looked at from a gold per hour perspective you'll probably do best with it.

Cost of engineering depends heavily on your server. Most likely it will be quite expensive, if not downright impossible, due to lack of materials, especially TBC and Wrath bars. I personally would never level engineering without the help of a miner on that server that can mine all the ore you need. When you have that miner to get you what you need though, Engineering is not expensive at all.

Skinning is easy to get leather, but leather itself is useful for only 1 profession.

Herb/mining uses the same approach (fly and loot) and it is useful for a lot of professions, plus you can do BOTH at the same time - unlike skinning.

So imo herb mining.

Deleted
    As someone that absolutely hates farming, something like enchanting or jc works great. You buy the enchanting mats or uncut gems on the ah, open your mail, and make the enchants and gems that yield the highest profit. On my realm it's sometimes 3-4 times more then the mats cost, put them on the ah and then you just wait to cash in, and i can spend my time on other things in the game.

What profession makes a good amount of money? I was thinking about skinning? Just kill that, skin it, sell it

Thanks in advance!
    Egineering first of all isn't a money making profession. Sure you have a few pets you can sell and Hunter's will need you for scopes and enchantments, but its not really a money making one if you don't know what you are doing.

The cheapest and safest ones are Alchemy and I would say Inscription. Why Alcheymy? People will always need flasks, potions and more. Its a consumable profession. You will always be in demand compared to a tailor or a leather worker. The herbs are easier to farm.

Inscription is another good one since its really cheap to level Inscription. Glyphs may not be the best money maker right now, but Darkmoon Cards sell well. Sometimes you need to cancel and re list numerous times before making a sale. The implementation of permanent glyphs really hurt scribes the hardest. Not many people look to buy glyphs unless its new alts or players. Also shoulder enchants are always needed especially compared to the costs of levelling LW/Tailoring/BS just to sell their enchants.

Thanks in advance!
    that totally depends on the server.
    pls realize that if there are 10 maniac skinners on your server, you will not make gold on it, if there are 10 freaked miners on your server, you will not make good gold mining yourself.
    If there are already lots of JCs, scribes, LWs etc. it will be hard to make a profit doing what they have been already doing.

therefore - you need to check your server prices, see how many players are selling and what they are selling.

another part is understanding what sells in large quantities, and what sells at good prices.

I made about 100 k for last 3 months just selling LW pvp pieces, buying leather in ah myself. But there are only 1 or 2 more dedicated LW sellers there,
    so there is a room for profit.

To conclude - your question can only be answered by analyzing your server's economy.

For my toons that I will spend a large amount of time on, I typically choose either Alchemy+Enchanting or Tailoring+Enchanting.

Enchanting allows a steady source of Sha Crystals from LFR/replaced gear as well as a way to burn excessive justice and honor pts. There is also the daily sha crystal Xmute.

Tailoring allows me to gain extra cloth while slaying, has a daily cooldown, and the new pvp bracers can make a cheap source of ethereal shards to fuel my sha crystal cooldown.

Alchemy has its traditional daily cooldown (don't forget about essence of water to air from vanilla). The professional also allows to cut my raiding flask cost down with the 2 hour perk.

Alchemy, easily. Or enchanting. I make several, several hundred gold a day buying windsong mats and selling the enchant for 75-100g more than I paid. I could easily do it with other enchants but that ones just easy haha.

Engineering you'll have to research your server, or google "wow profession cost calculator" and it's like the first link - it'll calculate the cost based on current server ah prices.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    alchemy...making tons from mana potions :S mop herbs sell for 30 per stack, it requires 3 herbs per 2 potions and each potion sells for 10 gold >.<

Deleted
    You can make gold with every profession , but the minimal effort would be in alchemy.

I mostly make my gold by controlling a specific market in my server , but to do that you need to spend alot of time in the ah.

Deleted
    well mining + BS its good , expecially now with free recipe from thunder iron

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like IRL, in the game too. nothing comes from nothing. If you don't put time and efforts into anything, you won't make money. That simple.

What makes me wonder is, how you find flying around picking up ore is more boring to you?
    For skinning you want to go through the time sink of killing stuff and then skin it. Which is incredibly slower for non-ranged classes btw.
    With mining you get what you got, Ore, and once in a while a gem in the node. Skinning takes a lot longer, yet you get the loot the mob drops. Meat, Greens, sometimes a blue, or super lucky even an epic item, and some vendor trash. You can see that as a payment for the longer time investment.

Generally all professions require time investment, and with none of them is a minimal effort. Even crafters have to spend a lot of time with their prof, if they are truly out for big money. Constantly crafting and screening the AH. Multiple re-listings and what not. That's a huge time sink in order to pay off very well.

I personally prefer gathering profs for the reason to be the most uncomplicated methods for making money. You can farm during down times, instead of hanging around somewhere doing nothing. And since it's raw materials, they sell better than the end products. There's 50 stacks of herbs for 30g? Who cares. They go fast, and then yours with 40g a stack are in line for sale, and they go as well. You just made more than the fool that sold his mats too cheap.
    With crafted items you may have to play the undercutting game, with raw mats you don't have to too much.

Thanks in advance!
    Define Effort!

You need it fast? Or you need to be able to do it while braindead at 3 permille?
    You want no or near to no competition? What are you after?

effort = farming! no skinning, mining or herbing!

alchemy is the sh*t. xmute master, takes 5sec, get +100-200g. thats 1k gold/hour =)
    then line it up on all your alts and do the math. (i've got 7 xmute masters)
    and then if you scan through it again you got much other xmutes than the daily that generates nice gold.

the ones that says engi is not a money maker has not looked through the market thoroughly, i make loads of gold with mine.