Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it worth coming back after a year?

Evening Ladies and Gents,

For the past few days I have an urge to start wow again, even though I'm one month away from my 1-year badge at the AA I'm about the have enough of the BS world of tanks is throwing at me so I decided to call it GG and look for a new game. Only there is none, so I'm thinking about getting back here. Now the problem is, there was a very good reason I left about a year ago, the game got really boring after finishing the content back in the days and MoP didn't look that good either with the dumbed down talents and stuff.

My question is, how are things today, how is the community? Apart from raiding and PvP, are there any 'fun' things to do? By fun I mean interesting things I can waste time on, like fishing were back in the good old days or archeology, and not even remotely close to the obnoxious daily quests to farm reputation. I've heard pet battles are kind of fun, but I apart from being a pokemon I know literally nothing about it.

My other question is, what about the classes? In my 7 years of wow I've played each class, and I have all of them at 80+, but I don't know anything about the current status of them. I've checked the class forums as well of course, but I can't find any comparisons as to what is the general status of the tanks or healers, only the DPS in which I'M not really interested in. How is the shaman compared to other healers, or the warrior compared to other tanks (these are the 2 classes I'm thinking about)?

All the replies and answers are much appreciated, and hope to see y'all on the battlefield
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it is always good time to come back, I'm sure someone on this forum can explain it to me better.

But Pandaria is filled with lots of rare mobs, Many cool items that have low drops from those many rare mobs. & world bosses, yes there dailies too (I personally like them).
    5.2 & 5.3 PvP will have alot changing coming its way. while Thunder of Thunder the new raid released in 5.3 is one of the best raids we have had since Ulduar very challenging only 4 guilds have cleared 12/13 H. None have cleared 13/13H yet. Do note that the last boss is a Herioc only & limited attempt boss (30) per week, but that said it is suppose to be easier than H Lei-Shen the 12th boss of the raid, But that said this is just speculation at this point from what Blizzard tolds us or until those guilds tell us other wise.

Sorry its not alot, but hope its helpful.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Of course it is always good time to come back, I'm sure someone on this forum can explain it to me better.

But Pandaria is filled with lots of rare mobs, Many cool items that have low drops from those many rare mobs. & world bosses, yes there dailies too (I personally like them).
    5.2 & 5.3 PvP will have alot changing coming its way. while Thunder of Thunder the new raid released in 5.3 is one of the best raids we have had since Ulduar very challenging only 4 guilds have cleared 12/13 H. None have cleared 13/13H yet. Do note that the last boss is a Herioc only & limited attempt boss (30) per week, but that said it is suppose to be easier than H Lei-Shen the 12th boss of the raid, But that said this is just speculation at this point from what Blizzard tolds us or until those guilds tell us other wise.

Oh it's helpful allright, especially since these are very good news, the rare mobs with cool shit, old fashioned raid that is long and challenging, one might think it's a good game again
    Talking to Majordomo before we are all ready will give you a quest: [60][R]Looking for guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post

I really fail to see how any of that is worthy of a good time to come back, it is just the same old same old, and as far as I am aware, the promise of faster content along with the "war" being put back in warcraft was never delivered upon, but scrapped in favor of a more Pandaren/Sha/Old God related story.

OP, you're better off picking up a trial code or having a friend Resurrect you. You'll get a much better idea of whether or not you enjoy the game if you experience it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Raur0s View Post
    By fun I mean interesting things I can waste time on, like fishing were back in the good old days or archeology
    If you find these things interesting then you should get back into WoW ASAP! pet battles alone should keep you entertained for a long time.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Depends, why did you quit in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    I really fail to see how any of that is worthy of a good time to come back, it is just the same old same old, and as far as I am aware, the promise of faster content along with the "war" being put back in warcraft was never delivered upon, but scrapped in favor of a more Pandaren/Sha/Old God related story.
    When was the last time you actually played the game? We're in patch 5.2 with 5.3 on the PTR. There has been war everywhere in this expansion.

OP, my advise to you is to just test it for yourself.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    When was the last time you actually played the game? We're in patch 5.2 with 5.3 on the PTR. There has been war everywhere in this expansion.

OP, my advise to you is to just test it for yourself.
    I haven't played since end Cataclysm so I'm honestly just going off hearsay and what my friends are still doing. If I'm wrong, I'm fully willing to admit it, but so far all I've heard of the 'war' is that a few dailies got added, and that it is little different than how Twilight Highlands was. The war just hardly seems there in the grand scheme of things.

Seconding that motion on OP trying it for himself though. There really are too many options available to do just that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Depends, why did you quit in the first place?
    The main reason was the end of expansion, we cleared the HC content with our guild and all we could do is farm the same content for 4 months to gear up every alt we had. Also dio3 came out a few weeks after that and pretty much the whole guild disappeared. And other than that there wasn't much to do, I had 1 character decked out in HC gear, one in normal gear, an other alt in full PVP gear, so farming gear wasn't an option

And I have to add, MoP wasn't that much concincing either, the simple talents, the lack of lore (more like made up lore that didn't make any sense at all) and on paper the PvE, my main focus was even worse, few 5men dungeons that were way too easy, I've heard that the raid content was a massive disappointment as well, and also the the forums were filled with the challenge mode being a failure as well. I have to admit, I've never heard anything about it ever since, might be a false statement

I know where you're coming from OP, I too have not played WoW in a long time. I believe 4.2 was the last time I played. Recently those urges for WoW have been coming about but I turned it away. In the end you need to decided if you want to play again because you enjoy the gameplay?? Or do you want to play again just as a time-waster? If its the first thing then yeah no matter what state WoW is in you'll like it. But if it's the second then you'll burn out quick and be fed up with playing it.

Currently I play some free games like SWTOR or also Hawken (give it a try, in beta right now) I don't feel committed to them because they are free and both enjoyable in there own ways.

OP, you're better off picking up a trial code or having a friend Resurrect you. You'll get a much better idea of whether or not you enjoy the game if you experience it yourself.
    What the eck, patches ARE comming out faster?

and there's more War than there's ever been in warcraft..

Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    What the eck, patches ARE comming out faster?

and there's more War than there's ever been in warcraft..
    Again, if you would care to give examples, I'm more than willing to admit fault. As for patches though, that is simply not true. This latest patch took months to see live release, the same as any old patch in the past. I'm all for taking your time with content, but Blizzard shouldn't say one thing, then do another.

Talents are more alive than ever
    Lore make sense, and all lore is made up (There's at least no Portal in Denmark where orcs poured through..)
    Heroics are easy, that's why we have challenge mode which are more difficult to achieve gold in, than any wotlk hc or cata hc was to complete
    Who said raids were a massive dissapointment? Every fight is unique and most fights can be pretty challenging
    Just an opinion here: Metzen couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. Ever since they made Bolvar the Lich King, lore has been performing a downward spiral.

Again, opinion here: The only thing disappointing about the raids is how cloistered they are. You enter a trash room, boss room, trash room, boss room. It is all so neatly organized it doesn't even feel like a dungeon anymore. Every raid just feels like the environment was sucked out of it. Though, I could be wrong with the latest raid, but every one before it has been a grievous offender.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-04-07 at 10:47 PM.

The main reason was the end of expansion, we cleared the HC content with our guild and all we could do is farm the same content for 4 months to gear up every alt we had. Also dio3 came out a few weeks after that and pretty much the whole guild disappeared. And other than that there wasn't much to do, I had 1 character decked out in HC gear, one in normal gear, an other alt in full PVP gear, so farming gear wasn't an option

And I have to add, MoP wasn't that much concincing either, the simple talents, the lack of lore (more like made up lore that didn't make any sense at all) and on paper the PvE, my main focus was even worse, few 5men dungeons that were way too easy, I've heard that the raid content was a massive disappointment as well, and also the the forums were filled with the challenge mode being a failure as well. I have to admit, I've never heard anything about it ever since, might be a false statement
    Talents are more alive than ever
    Lore make sense, and all lore is made up (There's at least no Portal in Denmark where orcs poured through..)
    Heroics are easy, that's why we have challenge mode which are more difficult to achieve gold in, than any wotlk hc or cata hc was to complete
    Who said raids were a massive dissapointment? Every fight is unique and most fights can be pretty challenging

I feel really forced to play in Pandaria because of those dailies, and I hate it. Pandaria is good expension but if you like alts, it's worst expansion ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I have to add, MoP wasn't that much concincing either, the simple talents
    the talents are far more in depth then the first glance. there are certain talents that obviously do better in pvp (but could still find a use for in PvE), and there are some talents that work better on some bosses then others. if you arent changing at least a few talents on a regular basis, id say you are doing it wrong.

the lack of lore (more like made up lore that didn't make any sense at all)
    the lore is actually interesting. wow is 9 years old. they will have to make up new stories and plot lines somewhere in order to keep the series going. people still want to play, there is still content they can deliver.

and on paper the PvE, my main focus was even worse, few 5men dungeons that were way too easy
    the dungeons are well designed, with a single intent ~ let pugs clear it faster, as most of them simply want to get their VP, or maybe a couple of quick pieces of gear for an alt. its time vs reward.

I've heard that the raid content was a massive disappointment as well
    i will strongly disagree with what you "heard". personally i think the raids have been some of the best ever. Throne of Thunder has a lot of challenges, as well as fun and unique boss fights. the layout being linear is somewhat disappointing, but the visual design and boss flavor changes rapidly. its not 8 bosses made of fire (firelands) HoF was 6 bug bosses, but it was shared in the tier by Mogu and Pandaren Spirits/Sha.

and also the the forums were filled with the challenge mode being a failure as well
    Challenge modes are far from a failure. they are a niche. only players looking to stand out, and have some skill will find the fun in this mode of dungeon. if you want difficult dungeons, that offer the most VP, then i suggest trying these, they are very different from the simple "i just want to quickly VP cap" heroic dungeons.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...few 5men dungeons that were way too easy, I've heard that the raid content was a massive disappointment as well, and also the the forums were filled with the challenge mode being a failure as well. I have to admit, I've never heard anything about it ever since, might be a false statement
    While I'll agree that the normal and heroic 5-mans are quite easy, in MoP they are more of a stepping stone in character progression. Currently the progression is (1) normal 5-mans -> (2) heroic 5-mans -> (3) 5.0 LFR -> (3.5) 5.0 normal raids (only as filler) -> (4) 5.2 LFR -> (5) ToT normal -> (6) ToT heroic. Once you've outgeared a step you really don't need to look back unless you want to.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that challenge modes are a failure, most people seem completely satisfied with the challenge they present. I would prefer that they rewarded more than cosmetic upgrades and achievements but the difficulty is tuned well. Likewise, I think most players consider the raids quite good, especially heroic raids. LFR is a poor indicator of raid quality, and normals offer only a modest challenge.

Again, if you would care to give examples, I'm more than willing to admit fault. As for patches though, that is simply not true. This latest patch took months to see live release, the same as any old patch in the past. I'm all for taking your time with content, but Blizzard shouldn't say one thing, then do another.
    5.0 -> 5.2 ~5 months 10 days (5.1 inbetween)
    4.0 -> 4.2 ~6½ month (4.1 inbetween)
    3.0 -> 3.1 ~5 months (nothing inbetween)

I did not find it relevant to include TBC since people were not even remotely ready for the content patches

And there is your answer, this is compared regarding release of an expansion and 2nd tier as this is what we know so far. PATCHES ARE COOMING OUT FASTER (so far)

When was there more war in warcraft?
    Last edited by Lushious; 2013-04-07 at 10:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    having a hiatus from wow is a good thing, it makes for a fresh look at things your use to, as well as trying out new things brought into the game.

What you should try it buying a game card and just using that for a month, see if you enjoy it.

5.0 -> 5.2 ~5 months 10 days (5.1 inbetween)
    4.0 -> 4.2 ~6½ month (4.1 inbetween)
    3.0 -> 3.1 ~5 months (nothing inbetween)

I did not find it relevant to include TBC since people were not even remotely for the content patches

And there is your answer, this is compared regarding release of an expansion and 2nd tier as this is what we know so far.

When was there more war in warcraft?
    I suppose if you'd be comparing to Cataclysm you'd be right, there is more war than ever, but Cataclysm fell into the same pitfall: War was promised, but war wasn't delivered. You saw war only in a few skirmishes within Ashenvale and Twilight Highlands. The rest, just felt like preparation for the Twilight's Hammer (another pitfall Cataclysm was consumed by, Deathwing the main villain was cast aside for the Twilight's Hammer) which was not war in the slightest.

Perhaps my expectations are too high? When I hear war, I expect it to envelop the world, not become a few roadside skirmishes and casual talk within cities. From what I have gleaned from friends and patch notes, there has been more build up on combating Garrosh's sudden bout of what-the-fuck than any war.

Though for the OP that may not even bother him, I'm just very particular I guess.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    While I'll agree that the normal and heroic 5-mans are quite easy, in MoP they are more of a stepping stone in character progression. Currently the progression is (1) normal 5-mans -> (2) heroic 5-mans -> (3) 5.0 LFR -> (3.5) 5.0 normal raids (only as filler) -> (4) 5.2 LFR -> (5) ToT normal -> (6) ToT heroic. Once you've outgeared a step you really don't need to look back unless you want to.
    Okay, this alone convinced me, one of my biggest complaints in wotlk and cata was the complete lack of gear progression, with HC-farms anyone could run the current version of raid without stepping into any raids before. If this gear progression is indeed true I'll buy the game first thing in the morning

Also, it looks like the fact that I left every wow portal and forum clouded my judgement and I once again learned that I can't listen to rumors

My only problem is now the classes, I don't suppose anyone can help me with the second part of the OP