Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Prot warr - Stamina or mastery?

Heyo, just a quick question.
    Was wondering if it's worth aiming for more stamina atm, or if secondary stats are more usefull.

For example, should i get stamina trinkets or mastery trinkets?

Cheers

Deleted
    I have more than enough HP while gemming exp/mastery hit/mastery gems. Depends on your healers I guess

Deleted
    That's the thing tho. I've got 560k hp and 56,72 mastery unbuffed. Is My mastery more Than enough? Should i go more stamina?
    Haven't really got Any complaints from Any healer about it But i want to be as good as i can be.

Sry for spelling errors am on the Phone . Cheers.

Deleted
    Is the magic damage over-powering your HP causing you to die because of it? if not then you are fine to keep going with your mitigation as usual. HP does not reduce your damage taken, only relatively reduces the amount it takes off your HP.

Personally I say stack your Mastery to oblivion.

Deleted
    Sounds good thanks for the clarification!

are you playing 10 or 25 ? that matters.

also link to armory profile would help.

Deleted
    So far: in 25man, hit + exp caps, then full on stamina
    in 10man, hit + exp caps, then a mix of stamina/mastery

Thats how i see things atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    So far: in 25man, hit + exp caps, then full on stamina
    in 10man, hit + exp caps, then a mix of stamina/mastery

Thats how i see things atm.
    Exactly
    Seriously, for 25man HC this tier... you can never have too much stamina : >

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    Heyo, just a quick question.
    Was wondering if it's worth aiming for more stamina atm, or if secondary stats are more usefull.

For example, should i get stamina trinkets or mastery trinkets?

Cheers
    If you want to change progressively from Stamina to Mastery, change your gems first.
    Stamina trinkets are way better than other trinkets in term of budget.

Stamina gem vs Mastery gem: 1 Stamina = 1 Mastery
    Stamina trinket (489) vs Mastery trinket (502): 1 Stamina = 0.75 Mastery
    Stamina trinket (522) vs Mastery trinket (522): 1 Stamina = 0.66 Mastery

So, if you are very comfortable with your health AND you have already replaced all you stamina gems by mastery gems, then you can change your stamina trinkets.
    Else, you should keep stamina trinkets. Even if you compare a T14 stamina trinkets and a T15 mastery trinket, the ratio is better than the gem ratio.
    Last edited by Senen; 2013-04-10 at 01:32 AM.

At the start of Cata, Blizz announced that health pools were going to become larger and tanking was going to become more about dodge/parry/mastery. No more would we have the Wrath situation where our health would jump between 90% and 10%. During Cata mastery kicked serious ass (until things got ugly again with the Deathwing raid).

Raiding ToT now, I feel like I'm living in a mixture of both situations. The dinosaur fight and the tortoise fight has large spikes of damage, that stamina works great on. The more stamina I have, the safer I become. Absorbs are also great on these fights, and our shield barrier scales with stamina.

The other style of fight is where you're pretty much just sitting there, not really feeling that much at risk. This is still fairly dominant. Mastery helps out your healers because you aren't taking as much damage, so they can heal the raid more.

Look at where your fights at and choose appropiately. Personally, I currently go for stamina.
    If you're doing LFR only, go stamina. Your healers shouldn't have any problem with your damage, it'll boost your dps and make yourself safer from the other tank forgetting taunts.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

I raid 10 man heroics and I can't get enough stamina, and in the case I don't need the health from stamina trinkets I just use dps trinkets instead of more mastery ones. (10/13heroic current progress)

It should be noted I like this playstyle thanks to our 2piece(t15). With glyphed Victory Rush, and 2 piece procs - my ability to heal myself after spike damage is quite amazing. That combined with the absurd amount of un-blockable nukes this tier makes me love love love stamina.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    If you want to change progressively from Stamina to Mastery, first your gems first.
    Stamina trinkets are way better than other trinkets in term of budget.

Stamina gem vs Mastery gem: 1 Stamina = 1 Mastery
    Stamina trinket (489) vs Mastery trinket (502): 1 Stamina = 0.75 Mastery
    Stamina trinket (522) vs Mastery trinket (522): 1 Stamina = 0.66 Mastery

So, if you are very comfortable with your healt AND you have already replaced all you stamina gems by mastery gems, then you can change your stamina trinkets.
    Else, you should keep stamina trinkets. Even if you compare a T14 stamina trinkets and a T15 mastery trinket, the ratio is better than the gem ratio.
    Surely that would be 'first change your trinkets' and not your gems?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Surely that would be 'first change your trinkets' and not your gems?
    Nope, not if you're going from Stamina to Mastery.
    If you were gemming for Stamina and have two Mastery trinkets, you would have less Stamina AND less Mastery than someone who is gemming for Mastery and has two Stamina trinkets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    Nope, not if you're going from Stamina to Mastery.
    If you were gemming for Stamina and have two Mastery trinkets, you would have less Stamina AND less Mastery than someone who is gemming for Mastery and has two Stamina trinkets.
    ohh stupid of me sorry, I misread the first line. Fun times!

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    I notice that this blog didn't mention healer mana. Back in Cata when the mastery > stamina gemming started up mana was a big deal. This made the stam stacking simply a drain on the healers. This combined with relatively soft hitting bosses, meant that the mastery tactic was mostly about mana conservation.

The question is, is this still the case? Asking my healing team, yes, apparently it is. However, if I'm taking 80% HP hits, I would rather have the safety zone stamina brings than their mana. After all, if the tank hits 10% the healers are going to pop fast expensive heals like crazy.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Deleted
    Awesome read.

More health has these benefits.

~bigger cap for healers to manage
    ~last stand/rally a little better
    ~less likely to die by nukes
    ~victory rush stronger (situational)

Even still with these benefits I prefer straight up avoidance. I usually go mastery/stam gems when possible though.

It really depends on what's going on.

Boss does the average 1.5 attack swing, but has a massive magical attack that does, say, 500k damage to the tank. Stam, imo, will be better. Because the threat is the magic damage spike. Mastery does not block magic (duh). So, I'd go with a hard exp cap, Stam stacking build.
    Boss does the average 1.5 attack swing, but has a physical damage increase, and attacks faster after a certain mechanic/situation occurs. Mastery is probably better, so stack that.

Deleted
    @Recke
    You should really read the link Pariah posted. There is no sweat spot where stamina loses in value.

Paladins have the bonus that they can gem for haste to increase their dps. Warriors cannot do sth similar. Increasing mastery has an indirect benefit on the enrage uptime but that probably won't get your far.

You should get hit/exp caps anytime. That is the first thing to do.

Maybe warrior tanks should gem crit if they got "enough" stamina.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-04-11 at 12:36 PM.