Thread: E'lune the Loa

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

E'lune the Loa

In my opinion, it would not be illogical for her to be a Loa. Troll Druids and Troll Priests for example mean it would not be illogical. Also lets not forget the origin of the Night Elves. They came from trolls(Who all worship Loa's)
    Though it's speculated that E'Lune might be a Naaru why are the Night Elves more nature like? Look at the Draenei and their way of life, it does not match up with the Night Elf ways at all.

Now lets think of her role in the Night Elves lives. She has been with them for thousands of years giving the Night Elves a big advantage over certain things. Why would some Naaru do this for the Night Elves and the Night Elves only? And why would the Night Elves have a completely unique. The only sort of deities that have unique powers in WoW are the Loas.

I personally think that it would make sense for E'Lune to be a Loa. This is speculation and yes I admit some of it is pretty widespread but can you think of another being that would give favor to just one race(Possibly two)? I think one reason why this theory gets blown to the ground is the fact that there was quite the outcry at it being confirmed the Night Elves coming from trolls. The players would crawl to the Blizz HQ and beg them to change the lore if she was a Loa.

She's not a Loa. Velenn has already speculated (to which Tyrande partially agreed) that Elune is a Naaru. Loa do not interact with mortal races directly as Elune does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    She's not a Loa. Velenn has already speculated (to which Tyrande partially agreed) that Elune is a Naaru. Loa do not interact with mortal races directly as Elune does.
    Tyrande got pissed off at Velen for that. And I don't think she's ever made a physical appearance.

Pretty much anything can be a loa. Spirits of the dead, ancients or actual gods. Just has to be something the Trolls revere. So it's not saying much if she's a loa, other than suggesting some trolls out there revere her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Pretty much anything can be a loa. Spirits of the dead, ancients or actual gods. Just has to be something the Trolls revere. So it's not saying much if she's a loa, other than suggesting some trolls out there revere her.
    Loa spirits are more powerful than the elementals, but not as powerful as gods.[3] Supposedly, these spirits are mighty entities that grant the faithful extraordinary powers. By calling upon these voodoo spirits, the shadow hunter gains special blessings with which he can combat darkness and help those in need. The abilities granted vary according to the Loa the shadow hunter calls upon.[4] Almost any being who has died and transcended death can be worshiped as a loa, including Forsaken shadow ascendants.
    This is what made me speculate this.

Loa do not interact with mortal races directly as Elune does.
    That's kind of backwards. Elune does not really interact with mortals at all, but Loa directly bless some of their worshippers and even exist among them sometimes.

Just chiming in with this from a not-too-long-ago Lore QnA

Quote Originally Posted by Bliz
    A: Troll druids visiting the Moonglade have been overheard calling the wisps who reside there loa, just as they refer to Goldrinn, Aviana, and the other returned Ancients as loa. Night elves and tauren have tried to counsel these trolls on "correct" druidic nomenclature, but the trolls thus far have been stuck in their ways.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142

Sounds to me that they believe anything ethereal (not the Ethereals though(?)) are Loa. I guess it's a bit of the "A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square" thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Just chiming in with this from a not-too-long-ago Lore QnA

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2721372142

Sounds to me that they believe anything ethereal (not the Ethereals though(?)) are Loa. I guess it's a bit of the "A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square" thing.
    Hmm, interesting.

She's not a Loa. Velenn has already speculated (to which Tyrande partially agreed) that Elune is a Naaru.
    Speculation from a character does not make it true.

Loa do not interact with mortal races directly as Elune does.
    You also haven't been keeping up with any Loa to make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    Tyrande got pissed off at Velen for that. And I don't think she's ever made a physical appearance.
    This.

Tyrande didn't remotely agree; she asked Velenn to be sure never to speak such nonsense around the priestesses of the moon again.

As for physical appearance, no she's not made a direct physical appearance, but there are quests where she interacts with the mortal world. In fact, she transformed a satyr back to a night elf for his sacrifice of ripping out his own heart to save a sick night elf girl.

I would also note that when hearing the voice of Elune, none have described melodic chimes or windchime sounds in their mind. Tyrande has been directly blessed and protected by Elune and is considered her direct representative on Azeroth by night elf culture.

Personally I vehemently deny Elune to be a naaru and pray Blizzard not only never reveals her to be one, but never reveals the full truth about Elune, the loa, the Ancients, and the other ethereal aspects of Azeroth. Some things are more fun when left to mystery and speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it just seems odd for one race to have a unique god. I personally think the Tauren Earthmother(I have never actually read anything about her so don't lynch me for this statement) is also E'Lune. I seem to remember Blizz saying something like Tauren Paladins aren't Paladins like Human Paladins but are just called Paladins for lore purpose. They are actually sunwalkers. Tauren Priests and Paladins gain their power the same way just use it different. Night Elves have been able to be priests since Vanilla and they, as far as I know, all get their powers from E'lune.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    this, also can you fix the title? it is Elune not E'lune.
    but yes she can be a loa, no, not a naaru unless you think fanfic is canon.

same reason that girl at blizzcon got crushed when she asked if thrall and jaina could "BE" together. metzen was like...hell no.
    it's a silly idea Elune is a deity, not a naaru, a naaru's power does approach that of a deity, but a deity is more powerful still, stop calling Elune weak.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    This.

Tyrande didn't remotely agree; she asked Velenn to be sure never to speak such nonsense around the priestesses of the moon again.

As for physical appearance, no she's not made a direct physical appearance, but there are quests where she interacts with the mortal world. In fact, she transformed a satyr back to a night elf for his sacrifice of ripping out his own heart to save a sick night elf girl.

I would also note that when hearing the voice of Elune, none have described melodic chimes or windchime sounds in their mind. Tyrande has been directly blessed and protected by Elune and is considered her direct representative on Azeroth by night elf culture.

Personally I vehemently deny Elune to be a naaru and pray Blizzard not only never reveals her to be one, but never reveals the full truth about Elune, the loa, the Ancients, and the other ethereal aspects of Azeroth. Some things are more fun when left to mystery and speculation.
    It wouldn't be illogical for E'lune and the Ancients to be completely separate from the Titans. I see no connection between them. With the existence of magic in WoW there could be other forces that we don't know.
    Last edited by Zhaveros; 2013-04-08 at 04:05 AM.

To me it just seems odd for one race to have a unique god.
    I actually like the way Blizzard did night elf and tauren culture in this regard.

The tauren believe in the Earth Mother and seems to basically be a being embodying all the spirits of nature. That would suggest the Earth Mother herself is something of a source for all the Ancients and a number of beings the trolls worship as loa. An'she and Mu'sha are her eyes; the sun and the moon.

Mu'sha is the tauren name for Elune and the sunwalkers essentially follow An'she.

Now imagine if Blizzard had further developed this mythology to be that An'she and Mu'sha (Elune) are sibling deities, children of the Earth Mother. From there you have a sort of Gaia concept with deities being a part of her and the children of those being demi-gods (such as Cenarius). You still get the strange inter-relationship of the nature gods being from the same Earth Mother (Cenarius and Elune would be from the same "mother" in that regard, but on ethereal/cosmic levels those aren't blood relations and such is common is a lot of mythology).

Regardless, I prefer the Light being an ethereal force that can be drawn from (essentially chi, or the Force) and still prefer the idea that the naaru are simply another race that are at the pinnacle of attunement to the Light rather than the source of the Light. Having some ungrasped, unexplained aspect to the religions and mythologies of the races make things more interesting to me rather than having every last detail explained.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-04-08 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I just read about her. Some interesting things:
    It's difficult to make the goddess out through the luminescence that surrounds her, only catching glimpses of alabaster skin and long, pale hair, graceful gossamer robes and a platinum circlet upon her brow. Her eyes are brilliant orbs of pure moonlight, and she smiles peacefully upon her worshippers.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Elune

Either she takes the appearance of a Night Elf(This is what the description seems to fit best) because the majority of her followers are or she is a Night Elf that got created the same way other Loas were.

Well Blizzard hasn't fully tidied up its patheons, but Loas are very similar in nature to the Ancient Guardians/August Celestials. Possibly the same kind of nature-spirit/demigod thing. Elune is portrayed as more powerful than the Ancients, so I think it's unlikely.

Is it really so hard to believe she's a Naaru? Possibly one that went a bit native? She works from afar, does not take a direct hand in things and inspires her followers. Pretty Naaru-ish really.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:17 AM ----------

To me it just seems odd for one race to have a unique god.
    I always assumed Elune was just like our real world gods and goddesses. You know, not real.

But as it turns out, this is a work of fantasy and therefore every myth and legend is real :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I kinda think that it's possible for Eonar to be both An'she and Elune. She could have 2 avartars.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well Blizzard hasn't fully tidied up its patheons, but Loas are very similar in nature to the Ancient Guardians/August Celestials. Possibly the same kind of nature-spirit/demigod thing. Elune is portrayed as more powerful than the Ancients, so I think it's unlikely.

Is it really so hard to believe she's a Naaru? Possibly one that went a bit native? She works from afar, does not take a direct hand in things and inspires her followers. Pretty Naaru-ish really.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:17 AM ----------

I always assumed Elune was just like our real world gods and goddesses. You know, not real.

But as it turns out, this is a work of fantasy and therefore every myth and legend is real :P
    There are a lot of things that are different between nature of Elune and Naaru.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Faroth

I like your thinking. BTW Cenarius is her son and Malorne is her lover(His physical appearance is a stag) and I'm pretty sure Malorne is an Ancient. If she has a lover it shows she is not above emotion(Just figured I'd state this part). Elune could be a sister for nature and she may have a brother that controls more light aspects. TBH, we don't know until Blizzard gives us the answers.

@Faroth

I like your thinking. BTW Cenarius is her son and Malorne is her lover(His physical appearance is a stag) and I'm pretty sure Malorne is an Ancient. If she has a lover it shows she is not above emotion(Just figured I'd state this part). Elune could be a sister for nature and she may have a brother that controls more light aspects. TBH, we don't know until Blizzard gives us the answers.
    Right, I meant Malorne; not Cenarius. Fixing that XD

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pretty naaru-ish except that every naaru we've seen interacts directly with the mortals they are protecting, speaks to them, and has ongoing discussions and conversations with mortals with no qualms about floating around chiming their windchime voices while you look smack dab right at them.

I'm just not a fan of the way Blizzard is essentially tying every detail throughout the entirety of the cosmos directly to the Titans and Old Gods in every conceivable way. It's boring.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-04-08 at 04:26 AM.

Elune is ridiculously powerful. Easily the most powerful being in the Warcraft universe. She just chooses not to interfere.

To understand just how powerful Elune is, recall the story of Aviana. Aviana was merely BLESSED by Elune to become a messenger. Aviana's blood, when it came into contact with demons, purified them and made them holy beings, completely and utterly undoing Sargeras' corruption.

So a side effect of a side effect of Elune's powers is VASTLY stronger than Sargeras' magic. I have no doubt that if Elune directly confronted Sargeras, Elune would purify his essence and turn him back into a holy being in an instant.

There is no way in my mind that she is a mere Naaru or Loa. I would like to think there are higher beings than Titans, and Elune being such a thing makes her much more interesting and enriches the lore.