Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Thanks Another idea I had (ironically, because I couldn't come up with ideas) was to start simple in one of the apps you mentioned, incorporating only one aspect at a time. Kinda like several prototypes of the same thing, incorporating new stuff as I learn more and more. Do the engines you use support different classes (Knight, Mage, etc.)? Different battle systems? I'll probably check out RPG maker and see what can be done there, start humble, and read read read tutorials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Thanks Another idea I had (ironically, because I couldn't come up with ideas) was to start simple in one of the apps you mentioned, incorporating only one aspect at a time. Kinda like several prototypes of the same thing, incorporating new stuff as I learn more and more. Do the engines you use support different classes (Knight, Mage, etc.)? Different battle systems? I'll probably check out RPG maker and see what can be done there, start humble, and read read read tutorials.
    RPG Maker does support different classes. It *can* support different battle systems, but that requires some coding. HOWEVER, if you're looking for something that isn't too revolutionary, a decent amount of google searching will turn up pre-made battle systems that you can just copy and paste into the engine.

As for GameMaker, you can do literally whatever the hell you want (as long as it's 2D). Basically, RPG Maker gives you the foundation of a house. You can customize a lot of things about the house you build on that foundation, but you are still limited to building within the borders of that foundation. Game Maker, on the other hand, is like an empty field. It takes more time and effort to get going, but you can build almost anything on it.
    And then some of these other engines are like giving you an empty void in space, and telling you to create matter. I don't even want to get in to the fresh hell that is building your own engine...

Sounds sexy. I'm currently making apples and bombs on Game Maker, but if RPG Maker has an easier template maybe I should start there first. Is there a memory cap for games made in these applications or can they be as long as you want?

Thanks for all the info btw

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Sounds sexy. I'm currently making apples and bombs on Game Maker, but if RPG Maker has an easier template maybe I should start there first. Is there a memory cap for games made in these applications or can they be as long as you want?

Thanks for all the info btw
    Ive played some rpg games that are up to 15 hours long made by teams of people. There really is no file size limit iirc. If money isnt an issue then get the latest one, I personally have used xp for most of my rpg making days. I think $70 is a bit ludicrous, they do offer free trials I'm not sure on the restrictions, Im pretty sure you get near full functionality.
    For me, and a lot of people, rgp maker XP for $30 is a far better deal than VX ace for $60 I think there is a less active xp community now but most of the resources and games will be readily available, I used to create my own tilesets but Im a terrible artist :P

http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/...y&req=sc&cat=2
    http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/index.php?cmd=0&page=1
    Tons of resources, I think there is still a community but most have now moved on to VX it seems.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-04-08 at 10:02 AM.

Well... I was up literally all night checking out the Game Maker community and the tutorials, I actually had no idea such communities existed. There's also a lot of willing spriters and musicians (and DAMN GOOD ONES, some of them), something I didn't think would be possible. While looking at all the content there I actually came up with some ideas for my first game (CATGIRL VS THE WORLD LOLOLOLOLOLO) which shall be decreed the shittiest game of all time.

One thing puzzles me however... why is the art so ASS in most of the finished games? I'm not even talking about skills, but most people put for example photorealisitic stone off the web next to grass made in MS Paint >_< It just makes no sense for me because I'm usually really picky with my graphic stuff, and I know you can make something look good if at least you're consistent with what you put in.

Also, how hard is it to replace "placeholder" art? I got some free sprites for my main character (which I can't even animate but at least she can move!) but eventually I want to make my own sprites or have them made and I was wondering if just replacing the sprite and naming it the same would be enough or if it had to be recoded all over again.