Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

This stupid Alter Time and Presence of Mind bug...

I don't get it... How can they not have fixed this stupid bug yet?
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the bug where you lose your PoM buff after Alter Time ends if you start casting while in Alter Time and the cast is finished after Alter Time ends.

Hard to explain so let me give you an example.

-> cast PoM
    -> Cast Alter Time
    -> Cast Frostbolt (instant)
    -> Cast Frostbolt
    -> Alter Time ends while you're casting Frostbolt
    -> You get your PoM buff back but it's consumed as soon as your Frostbolt is done casting.

I know it's easy to work around by canceling Alter Time <1.X seconds earlier than its current duration, but that's a DPS loss.
    Last edited by mmoc861630b21f; 2013-04-08 at 02:47 PM.

Deleted
    I shall explain the use of Alter time and PoM on a Frost Mage:

The optimal and actually really easy to get rotation during alter time is:

->PoM
    ->alter time
    ->Instant Frostfire bolt
    ->Instant cast you prefer (frostbolt,Frostfirebolt)
    ->Icelance
    ->Icelance
    ->another icelance or frostfire proc? Cast Dat!
    -> Start casting a Frostbolt
    -> Stopcast if any procs happen to accure and cast the Instant
    -> Alter time ends

There is no time for a second frostbolt that could eventually clip the PoM and bug it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    I shall explain the use of Alter time and PoM on a Frost Mage:

The optimal and actually really easy to get rotation during alter time is:

->PoM
    ->alter time
    ->Instant Frostfire bolt
    ->Instant cast you prefer (frostbolt,Frostfirebolt)
    ->Icelance
    ->Icelance
    ->another icelance or frostfire proc? Cast Dat!
    -> Start casting a Frostbolt
    -> Stopcast if any procs happen to accure and cast the Instant
    -> Alter time ends

There is no time for a second frostbolt that could eventually clip the PoM and bug it
    You do realize that the rotation is different from everyone, as it depends on their haste right? Even so, you're not always able to get the perfect Alter Time going as you're sometimes forced to pop Alter Time with just 1 FoF and a FFB proc.

E: Your rotation is also flawed. You want to at least use one FoF proc at the start of Alter Time (if you go into Alter Time with 2 FoF procs) as your first spell, so you don't clip FoF procs from doing your FFB or Frostbolt first.

Deleted
    there is really no reason to use pom as a frost mage. the two other options will be far superior

Deleted
    Heavily arguable if you should FFB or FoF proc first. You could also get another FFB proc while your dots are running.

Both would be a waste an on personal observatipon and luck i seem to get a lot more FFB Procs druing my alter time Frame than FoF procs...

The other thin is, 2 FoF procs and one FFB proc to get before you start castin alter time is so friggin easy with the new setbonus... no need to start wioth onyl one FoF proc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ralikonik View Post
    there is really no reason to use pom as a frost mage. the two other options will be far superior
    How is this relevant to the topic at hand?

And you're wrong. If you have proper timing with your abilities (i.e. save FoF proc(s)) and you know when to move and for how long, you'll benefit more from PoM than any of the other 2 talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mûe View Post
    Heavily arguable if you should FFB or FoF proc first. You could also get another FFB proc while your dots are running.

Both would be a waste an on personal observatipon and luck i seem to get a lot more FFB Procs druing my alter time Frame than FoF procs...

The other thin is, 2 FoF procs and one FFB proc to get before you start castin alter time is so friggin easy with the new setbonus... no need to start wioth onyl one FoF proc.
    That's true, but you have a 13% chance to get a FFB proc from your Nether Tempest and a 15% chance to get a FoF proc from your FFB itself. I'd go with the 15% as they're more likely to happen than the 13%.

As far as getting enough procs for your Alter Time, unlucky streaks does occur - especially when you reach the periods where you're using your 2nd Alter Time and 3rd Alter Time.

Not all of us has 4 set bonus.

Not all of us has the same haste weights as you so my point still stands; different haste ratings yields different results during Alter Time.

It's a bug that needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by mmoc861630b21f; 2013-04-08 at 03:18 PM.

Deleted
    PoM is so minor anyway for frost, use Blazing Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    PoM is so minor anyway for frost, use Blazing Speed.
    For pve, blink is more than enough mobility. PoM still is useful if you can do it correctly with alter time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    For pve, blink is more than enough mobility. PoM still is useful if you can do it correctly with alter time.
    Depends... Horridon charges for example works wonders with a blink to get out of raid and a blazing speed to get back in position. Magaera and Jinrok also come to mind.

Deleted
    Not the reponse you're looking for but I'd use Icy Flows / Blazing speed (depending on the encounter) ANY DAY vs PoM as frost.

POM + Frostbolt > POM + Frostfire bolt

PoM is so far behind Ice Floes and Blazing Speed for Frost it's not even funny. I honestly can't find a single fight in this tier that warrants the use of PoM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PoM is a pvp talent for frost.

For pve I usually use ice floes since its about 2.5-3 seconds of free movement. Blazing speed is great for iron qon and getting past the tornados.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Honestly, I wouldn't even use PoM period, even as fire. I can already do 5 back to back pyro procs with AT, I wouldn't risk destorying my ignite by using 2 pom's pyros that are 25% less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't even use PoM period, even as fire. I can already do 5 back to back pyro procs with AT, I wouldn't risk destorying my ignite by using 2 pom's pyros that are 25% less damage.
    I thought they changed the way ignite works. It gets bigger the more you add onto it.

Deleted
    I thought they changed the way ignite works. It gets bigger the more you add onto it.
    Take the damage from the last 4 seconds so if you drop a non crit after 2 crit your ignites gets lower.

Yes but its constantly ticking away, so to get the biggest ignite for combust you want like 3-4 pyro crits in < 4- 6 secs

Quote Originally Posted by ralikonik View Post
    There is a fight with one way of doing it where you don't ever move, at all.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should just make PoM baseline for the class. It's an interesting ability to have, but is so out of "sync" with the rest of the lvl 15 tier.

IMHO the lvl 15 and lvl 90 tiers need an overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Take the damage from the last 4 seconds so if you drop a non crit after 2 crit your ignites gets lower.
    This. And it is even worse when those pyros that don't crit are 25% less damage. You go from a 70k ignite, to a 30-40k ignite.