Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gearing for Herald of the Titans

How the hell do people do it? I've been trying for weeks to find a group to run either Ulduar or Naxx but it's practically impossible >.< Nobody will take me into a group to gear for it because I'm not fully geared for it... what? I'm even a goddamn tank for fucks sake! I can't join transmog/achievement runs on openraid either because people don't want me rolling on gear they might want to transmog. I can't even find a group here because the "official" thread doesn't get any attention either. I'm playing a horde druid on a high pop server and even though there seems to be more Herald runs hordeside I still can't seem to find a group.

Should I just make my alliance shaman my new Herald toon? I don't know if it's just because people don't need tanks or what but maybe trying to find a group as a healer would help? Bah.... what a pain!

Deleted
    Just use cross realm 90 friends or guildys to boost you through the 10 m versions & the icc 5 man dungeons + farm justice pts to buy the 226 gear.
    You can gear up for herald in few days .. maybye not all BIS but thats not what u need to kill agalol anyway these days

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    How the hell do people do it? I've been trying for weeks to find a group to run either Ulduar or Naxx but it's practically impossible >.< Nobody will take me into a group to gear for it because I'm not fully geared for it... what? I'm even a goddamn tank for fucks sake! I can't join transmog/achievement runs on openraid either because people don't want me rolling on gear they might want to transmog. I can't even find a group here because the "official" thread doesn't get any attention either. I'm playing a horde druid on a high pop server and even though there seems to be more Herald runs hordeside I still can't seem to find a group.

Should I just make my alliance shaman my new Herald toon? I don't know if it's just because people don't need tanks or what but maybe trying to find a group as a healer would help? Bah.... what a pain!
    You don't need a whole lot of supergeared players to do Ulduar. I would ask a couple 90 friends to go with you and carry you. Probably your best bet. 10 man can two manned with 90s no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post

It use to be a lot easier a while back before they removed the ability to queue for WTLK Heroics. Its considerably a pain to gear up if you don't have a group.

Well the quickest way to do it is to find a Herald of the Titan group first through open raid. Once you have signed up for it most probably a few in the group would probably need gear or often everyone does need to gear up.

There are often Achievement runs for Ulduar and Naxx (its not the same as Transmorg runs) where people that are looking to complete the Herald of the Titans usually get first dibs, at least these were available when I did it last year. This is probably your best option if you cannot find level 80s to queue with you.

But first I suggest you find a group that is looking to do Herald of the Titans then move on from there. Its easier when you have a group you can queue with and work on farming gear together.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the faction.

You really need to be close to BiS if you plan on tanking a Herald run. Heals and DPS can most probably just sail through with mediocre gear but tanks carry a lot on their shoulders.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I did it on my hunter during Cata, I just used the JP gear, crafted gear, and filled in pieces with ToC heroic gear and the ICC nomral 5 mans, with exception of the weapons. It took a while, but I didn't step foot in an actual raid and still managed to overkill Algalon with everyone else in that full on Ulduar gear. Think I came in 3rd on DPS with an Arcane Mage on top.

Yeah... I wish I'd geared up last year when I actually got to 80 but the friend I leveled with stopped playing. This druid is also the first horde toon I've ever leveled so I don't have any friends on this faction to help me out I'm probably going to just start gearing for resto if I can. I really, really wish you could still queue for the Wrath heroics so I could get justice from something else than the same 2 Cata dungeons but oh well I guess. I can't get my hands on much crafted gear either as I don't have much gold, being that I don't play horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget Naxx or Ulduar, it's not really necessary.

Run the ICC 5man normals (have a 90 run you through). They drop ilvl 219, which is sufficient, and you'll get JP which will allow you to buy appropriate ilvl pieces for a bunch of slots including your Tier 8 2piece. Between the crafted and JP, you can fill like half your slots with good pieces, and supplement the rest with the ilvl 219s from the five mans.

We did end up doing Ulduar 10 a couple times with some 90s to get a little boost, but if it's a headache for you to find people for that, then you're safe to just stick to the five mans.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-04-08 at 05:04 PM. Reason: changed 319 to 219

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post

Run the ICC 5man normals (have a 90 run you through). They drop ilvl 319, which is sufficient, and you'll get JP which will allow you to buy appropriate ilvl pieces for a bunch of slots including your Tier 8 2piece. Between the crafted and JP, you can fill like half your slots with good pieces, and supplement the rest with the ilvl 319s from the five mans.

We did end up doing Ulduar 10 a couple times with some 90s to get a little boost, but if it's a headache for you to find people for that, then you're safe to just stick to the five mans.
    You do not get Justice points if anyone over lvl 80 is in the dungeon, which most of the time there is. They took out the wrath heroic queues for any account with any expansion past wrath. Farming Justice points is really slow at 80, you really only get them from queueing the normal Cata dungeons or finding your own group of 80s to specific queue wrath heroics. But in reality, you really only need the ICC/ToC 5m gear to do herald. And you can get weapons from the Heroic versions of the ICC 5m. Scaling at 80 is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    You really need to be close to BiS if you plan on tanking a Herald run. Heals and DPS can most probably just sail through with mediocre gear but tanks carry a lot on their shoulders.
    No you really don't because as said, scaling is insane. Our group had a monk tank in mostly if not all ICC 5m normal gear and he pretty much def capped and topped the damage.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-04-08 at 05:00 PM.

Run the ICC 5man normals (have a 90 run you through). They drop ilvl 319, which is sufficient, and you'll get JP which will allow you to buy appropriate ilvl pieces for a bunch of slots including your Tier 8 2piece. Between the crafted and JP, you can fill like half your slots with good pieces, and supplement the rest with the ilvl 319s from the five mans.

I suppose I'll try that. I know I can manage just fine with very little gear as resto because I've played a resto druid for years. Been going crazy trying to find someone nice enough to carry me through Ulduar or whatever lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    You do not get Justice points if anyone over lvl 80 is in the dungeon, which most of the time there is. They took out the wrath heroic queues for any account with any expansion past wrath. Farming Justice points is really slow at 80, you really only get them from queueing the normal Cata dungeons or finding your own group of 80s to specific queue wrath heroics. But in reality, you really only need the ICC/ToC 5m gear to do herald. And you can get weapons from the Heroic versions of the ICC 5m. Scaling at 80 is insane.
    When did they change the JP? I did the run after 5.0.4 and we were getting JP in all the ICC5s.

(we didn't using the queuing anyway, the wait was hours. We just grabbed a 90 and flew)

But yeah just running in the ilvl 219s should be plenty sufficient even if you dont get any JP gear. You can craft boots and belt, too.

Edit: oh, also, you could do BGs and convert the HP to JP. I'm not sure how active level 80 is for battlegrounds but seems like it might be a twink bracket with some activity.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-04-08 at 05:06 PM.

| twitch | bsky
    |

When did they change the JP? I did the run after 5.0.4 and we were getting JP in all the ICC5s.

(we didn't using the queuing anyway, the wait was hours. We just grabbed a 90 and flew)

But yeah just running in the ilvl 219s should be plenty sufficient even if you dont get any JP gear. You can craft boots and belt, too.

Edit: oh, also, you could do BGs and convert the HP to JP. I'm not sure how active level 80 is for battlegrounds but seems like it might be a twink bracket with some activity.
    They removed the queues back at the start of Mists. Think you only get JP for actually killing the bosses. You don't get it for queueing for them. The Random Queue for ICC Heroics has been removed.

You have to actually queue specifically for each one if you want.

And even then queueing for WTLK Randoms were a bad way to farm JP since Cataclysm dungeons gave more JP per run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    They removed the queues back at the start of Mists. Think you only get JP for actually killing the bosses. You don't get it for queueing for them. The Random Queue for ICC Heroics has been removed.

You have to actually queue specifically for each one if you want.

And even then queueing for WTLK Randoms were a bad way to farm JP since Cataclysm dungeons gave more JP per run.
    No, you do not get any JP from bosses if anyone in the group is over level 80. I remember trying on my paladin I was gearing for herald and getting frustrated because I would always be grouped with 81+. And it has been like that even before the queue change. I ended up moving that paladin to my other account and running her through stuff with my 90s.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Justice_point

"Outgrowing content by out-leveling it will result in the listed objectives no longer rewarding Justice Points. Thus, for Wrath of the Lich King content, no Justice Points will be rewarded for players levels 81 and above. The same rule applies for Burning Crusade content, which will also reward Justice Points. "

You are mistaken. If you had a 90 running you, you weren't getting JP. 5.0 was when I was specific queuing for heroics and not getting JP because 81s were in the group. Also had an 85 run me through the ICC dungeons before that as well. No JP.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-04-08 at 05:40 PM.

My guild and another put together a group for herald of the titans, we swapped toons around and everyone brought in thier lvl 80 to get gear. They got dibs on the spec and usually for an off spec, the other toons were finishing up the meta for the mount. Once a toon was geared they brought in thier mains and we ran the other toons to get them geared. You just need to find a group that wants the herald title. Easier said than done i know..... but try open raid.

No, you do not get any JP from bosses if anyone in the group is over level 80. I remember trying on my paladin I was gearing for herald and getting frustrated because I would always be grouped with 81+. And it has been like that even before the queue change. I ended up moving that paladin to my other account and running her through stuff with my 90s.

"Outgrowing content by out-leveling it will result in the listed objectives no longer rewarding Justice Points. Thus, for Wrath of the Lich King content, no Justice Points will be rewarded for players levels 81 and above. The same rule applies for Burning Crusade content, which will also reward Justice Points. "
    I never meant for him to be carried through by level 80+. Was just answering his question regarding the queue system.

But I never did know that, cause when I did it simply farmed most of my gear via the ICC Normal Dungeons which dropped like 219s and weapons from the Heroic ones. Even ToC Heoric helped.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gunnmen01 View Post
    My guild and another put together a group for herald of the titans, we swapped toons around and everyone brought in thier lvl 80 to get gear. They got dibs on the spec and usually for an off spec, the other toons were finishing up the meta for the mount. Once a toon was geared they brought in thier mains and we ran the other toons to get them geared. You just need to find a group that wants the herald title. Easier said than done i know..... but try open raid.
    That is what I suggested. First he needs to find a group before you can start gearing. I know it would generally be the other way around for most raids, but it helps when you have people that are working towards the same objective.

10+ Year Old Account

You are mistaken. If you had a 90 running you, you weren't getting JP. 5.0 was when I was specific queuing for heroics and not getting JP because 81s were in the group. Also had an 85 run me through the ICC dungeons before that as well. No JP.
    Well, that quote implies that the individual won't get JP, not necessarily that no one in the group will. I mean, it might be true now but there was definitely a period when it wasn't.

I'm just curious about this because this is precisely how I farmed JP for my Herald run, by chain running the ICC5s (and TOC5 heroic) with an 85. It wasn't that long ago, so I don't think my memory is that bad But also checking my toon, I have eight JP items and I can't fathom how else I would have earned that much JP otherwise (where else can you get JP at level 80)?

I mean, I don't disbelieve you and the change makes sense, I'm just curious if maybe it went in a little after 5.0.4, like when Mists actually launched. Because I literally did the gearing for the achievement in the window between 5.0.4 and Mists launched and then led the raid itself the week after Mists went live (checked my openraid history to verify).

And just for clarification because someone else mentioned it, I only meant JP for the boss kills themselves (and the quest chain if you've not done it), not for queueing. As far as I know, you couldn't even physically queue if anyone was over 80, but we never did it that way because the queue was hours and hours long anyway.

Like I said, it's a nonissue since the 319s themselves are probably still more than sufficient. And thanks for the heads up on the JP change because I didn't know.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Yeah I can confirm that you don't get any JP from ICC heroics anymore, hadn't noticed if there were other people over 80 in the group with me but I'm sure there was. I'll trade running a heroic and see if I can get into a group of all 80s... doubtful but it beast running BRC and that water dungeon... geh. Found someone on my server that's also been trying to get a group together for Herald, he told me they've got 8 people so far and need a healer so that's what I'll be doing. They're going to do an Ulduar run after the reset so that should help as well. Going to do some dungeons and maybe try to craft some gear and get as much gear as possible before reset.

Thanks for all the help folks

openraid.eu, make a group there to farm with. You should also make a forum thread on your realm forums or on the official forums to do it cross realm.

I think running ICC10 normals is a waste of time.

The best thing to do, by far, is to host your OWN group. Host an achievement run for Uld 25 and tell people once they're all there and in that you will be master looting any gear you need and they can roll for the rest. Stress again that the run is for achievements.

Deleted
    http://www.twinkinfo.com/
    Its one of the best twink forums out there

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that quote implies that the individual won't get JP, not necessarily that no one in the group will. I mean, it might be true now but there was definitely a period when it wasn't.

I'm just curious about this because this is precisely how I farmed JP for my Herald run, by chain running the ICC5s (and TOC5 heroic) with an 85. It wasn't that long ago, so I don't think my memory is that bad But also checking my toon, I have eight JP items and I can't fathom how else I would have earned that much JP otherwise (where else can you get JP at level 80)?

I mean, I don't disbelieve you and the change makes sense, I'm just curious if maybe it went in a little after 5.0.4, like when Mists actually launched. Because I literally did the gearing for the achievement in the window between 5.0.4 and Mists launched and then led the raid itself the week after Mists went live (checked my openraid history to verify).

And just for clarification because someone else mentioned it, I only meant JP for the boss kills themselves (and the quest chain if you've not done it), not for queueing. As far as I know, you couldn't even physically queue if anyone was over 80, but we never did it that way because the queue was hours and hours long anyway.

Like I said, it's a nonissue since the 319s themselves are probably still more than sufficient. And thanks for the heads up on the JP change because I didn't know.

No the change was long before Mists was launched. I didn't get any JP from boss kills on my 80 with an 85 running me through the 5ms or queuing into heroics with 81s before MoP was launched so you definitely were not getting them after it dropped unless there was an unintended bug which I highly doubt. And there are also blue/mod posts that say you will not get them with anyone over 80 in the party. Only thing you will get is some honor points if your faction has Wintergrasp.

A google search will show you many posts of people asking about why they aren't getting Justice Points in Wrath heroics after Cata was launched.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965844492

"I think the last GM didn't quite understand your ticket right. JP is still offered for Wrath-level Heroics and Heroic bosses, but there is a catch: nobody in your group can be out-levelled for the content. Usually, nowadays, when you queue for a Wrath heroic there will be one or two level 81 characters in there with you. These players have outlevelled the content, so while they are in the dungeon with you you won't recieve any JP. The best solution is to get a full guild group to run the heroic."

Before you could queue for random Wrath heroics at 80 even if your account was upgraded to Cata. When the pre-mop patch was launched they got rid of this and made it so only people on Wrath only accounts could queue random wrath heroics.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6352862?page=1
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-04-09 at 05:51 AM.