10+ Year Old Account

Ideas for Ji-kun?

Been trying Ji-kun for few evenings, and I have come up with (maybe dumb) questions.

Which is the best flying team from the selection:

Healers: rshaman, rdruid, mw
    DPS: hunter, fire mage, rogue, spriest, (warrior, spriest, mage)*?

* We have another spriest, but he is AFK for few weeks, our second mage cannot also not attend that often, warrior is sort of AFK as well. We do not have any Warlocks, DPS DKs, DPS Shamans, healing priests to choose from.

Yesterday we went with 2 DPS+1 healers at start (rdruid, mage, ww), after that we decided due to upper nests not dieing fast enough (rduid, mage, hunter, spriest).

We had and probably today have one of the healers in their DPS OS as the Warrior of ours is slacking. Which of the healers rduid or mw, should go DPS? And which one (if not both) should do the nests?

We have decided to go with 1 "main" team. Other DPS, left on platform, will go pick up the extra feathers from the second bottom nest to get the chance to catch feed. As for the fliers we, try to follow the order of doing things in this post.

On main platform the quills tend to kill us mainly with the Cheeps from the mature juvenile birds.

What sort of raid DPS is needed to beat the encounter w/o drowning in green pool? I know that the raid DPS is subjective to raid group and heavily depends on how many feed young stacks people get, but still some reference points would be great to have.

Question about the Feed Young pools? Do those mainly land on raid members on platform or are those more of an RNG thing where they land? If those are not mainly RNG, but target people, then is it vise to try to stack as many of the pools into one place as possible (not ofc pools inside pools (bad surprise when you as a tank try to soak a pool, and discover that is is actually 4 pools...).?

Our rdruid had question about Caw. Can you completely avoid it if you move away from your location if you are targeted or is this a "fixiated" thing which will hit the targeted person no matter where they are?

Any other suggestion to make this boss bit easier to handle or is it still just work out the flying and people dieing to random shit and you can collect loot?

I am adding our logs from last week and last night. Some details to add to our last nights logs: ww was our mw OS, as we didn't have DPS available, so he had to go and DPS. Rshaman and rogue had latency issues on the few last pulls (that's why the weird deaths).

Well, we always 2healed it (only did normal once, but 2healed that and all heroic kills) - I'd personally say your monk should go dps, but that is probably a biased opinion. Either way should be fine though.

Always send 3 dps to do nests. Imagine that group is there for the sole purpose of only doing nests. Just go nest to nest, never worrying about anything else. This fight is generally a fight where if you keep up with nests, you win.

What I just said also goes hand-in-hand with your group dying to quills. With cheeps going on, that means nests aren't kept up with - since you have matures casting. With nests on track, your raid damage will greatly be reduced.

As for Caw, yes it can be avoided, we make it our goal to try and fully avoid all of them on heroic. When the timer is up and she is going to use it, just have everyone in the raid moving.. its a ground targeted cast where a player was standing. Tough to avoid if you wait to see that its shooting at you, relatively easy to avoid if you're already moving before she starts it, and don't stop moving until the spell effects are gone.

I'm not sure about a green pool soft enrage, that should be the least of your worries though.. just have the current off-tank soak a couple if it gets ugly. I don't imagine it should pose a big problem though.

Really though, the whole entire fight is abut keeping up with nests so you never have any cheeps happen - do that and you should be well within reach of getting a kill.

Deleted
    we always do the nests with 2dps/1heal hunter/warr/healer or hunter/lock/healer.
    SV aoe is really nice for this

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you think is it better to have melee running the nests or ranged? As melee have to really careful after Down Draft not to get too close before either tank gets close to boss.

Thank you for the Caw info Teekays.

As for 2 healing the comment from our resto druid was that most of the time the main platform is boring, but suddenly it can turn into chaos, which will make healers oom fast as there is so much to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teekays View Post

Really though, the whole entire fight is abut keeping up with nests so you never have any cheeps happen - do that and you should be well within reach of getting a kill.
    This.

Theres a couple of things we do that you may not that I felt helped our kill:
    - We send a dps down to every platform where a spare feather will be to intercept food. More importantly, if birds get away the people on the main platform then kill them
    - We have our tanks absorb some pools when not tanking, especially so people can have a clean line to get pushed back in when he does the downdraft. We have palas with hand of purity for this, other classes may have good soaks too.

Our raid dps was about 625k for the kill.

Yeah it definitely sounds like cheeps are getting off, which is platforms falling behind. There really is like 0 damage outside of quills if you avoid most caws, and with quills being predictable it really appears to be cheeps making things chaotic. All that will get better and never happen with platforms being tweaked out and practiced.

There's really no preference as to who does platforms, you should check with the dps themselves and see who is most confident in their ability to aoe/cleave burst - and take the 3 most confident. Melees stepping out for a couple seconds after each downdraft will by no means make or break the fight.

It's just one of those fights that snowballs badly. The moment all platforms are kept up with, all problems you have run into so far will be gone - a lot less raid damage going out. It's a sustained fight where the sole purpose is to never fall behind on platforms, pretty bland but yeah :/

GL!

I go down as a mistweaver and haven't really had problems before, there's not much to heal but it makes the damage negligible. That, and I can pump out a solid 60-100k dps depending on if it's upper or lower; Only time I really have to heal is during quills.

Deleted
    Send to nests Monk rog and hunter and you should be fine. Good luck with it.

Our first kill we did with 2 healers with a 1heal/3dps nest team but that puts a lot of pressure on the healer on the platform. If you get to the nests in time it should be easily doable with 2 dps. Our kill this week was 3healers with a 1heal/2dps team with our priest smiting the boss quite a bit. I think you won't have enough dps on the boss if you go with 3 healers and 3 nest dps.

We've got some tries in on hc jikun this week hopefully kill it thursday, what you can do that might help is this. Have 1heal2dps team on all nests except the 2nd-8th lower nest, on that nest the 3 platform dps can pick up a feather they can use for the nutrient buff or downdraft. While they are killing the 2nd nest the other 2 dps can pick up a nutrient buff for some extra dps on the boss as well. Just make the 3 platform dps practice jumping to the 2nd nest before the pull so that they don't miss it

Doesn't really matter if its melee or ranged on the nests whoever has the best aoe/cleave. We usually do it with me as arms, our ele shammy or hunter.
    Last edited by bigbad; 2013-04-09 at 09:51 AM.

The key for us was managing the green pools. They drop on players, so if you stay out of certain channels outside of downdraft, you should be able to position them so that they're less of an issue.

Out nest team was mostly 2 people (atonement healing priest and a mage), with a 3rd going up when needed. This also speeds up the fight nicely, but needs good communication.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, but our guilds kill tactic was to zerg the boss and ignore the majority of tactics. We did this by having our 4 strongest DPS pick up the wings at the start and then the feeds that popped up whilst they still had wings. Our first attempt with this method put us at about 26%, cleaning up the kill a little (making sure people actually got the feed buff, our shaman kept missing it) granted us the progress kill after about 3 wipes. The kill only took 4 minutes, so looking at your numbers, if you kept coordinated (stacking as best as possible for quills, absorbing any pools required, etc) it's very possibly you could get a kill of your own this way.

If your healers are confident and your DPS is good, you might have a good shot at this.

Our DPS: 154, 148, 147, 143, 105, 103
    the HPS: 44, 40 and 2 DK tanks at 30 + 34.

I hope this helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ty for the advice guys. We killed Ji-kun last night, after finding out which people were "best suited" for nests.

We had I believe 2x mage, 1 spriest running the nest, with resto druid as healer. Everyone else who were on the platform, jumped down to the second nest and grabbed the leftover feathers. At 30% we use TW and burned her down.

On main plat we had mistweaver, resto shaman, DPS warrior, rogue, 2 tanks. And the nest team just stopped by the Ji-kun platform to DPS the boss, when they didn't have anything else to do.

I believe it will not be a farm kill just yet, but with more practice it becomes easier.

Our logs if anyone is interested.

Congrats, glad to hear it. :-)

My guild just started working on hc Jikun 10 and I have some questions regarding feed young.

For every feed young a player intercepts do we get 1 less green pool on the main platform ?

It seems like most guilds intercept any feed youngs they can when going for the lower platforms while ignoring the feed youngs when going to the upper platforms. What are the reasons for people flying upto the upper nests ignoring the feed youngs on the way and flying directly to the nest ?
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-04-22 at 04:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw that you said you were getting green all over. One thing that REALLY helped us was that once we realized it was thrown on players we had players stand right next to a green puddle. So basically we have our raid that is on the main platform hug whattever green crap that is already down so 50% of the new puddle is in the old puddle thus covering less space! This i sjust one of the things along with marking a colaps point for quils and using abilities like banner demo shout ralying cry etc from the raid during quills to help! So long as your add team is kicking butt your platform team should focus on keeping puddles close to one another and mitigting as much dmg while pumping out dps!

We've only just gotten to Ji'Kun and I have a few questions.

If you're 2 healing with a 3 dps nest team, what do they do during quills? Do they wait if a feed comes just before a Quill? or does a healer go down with them.

Something else that we've noticed is that there comes a time when two nests seem to be activated at the same time, what is done then?
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    We've only just gotten to Ji'Kun and I have a few questions.

If you're 2 healing with a 3 dps nest team, what do they do during quills? Do they wait if a feed comes just before a Quill? or does a healer go down with them.

Something else that we've noticed is that there comes a time when two nests seem to be activated at the same time, what is done then?
    The nest team can always and should always come back on the platform went they are doing the lower nests.
    That way you get more dps on the boss and its significantly easier to get the feed young buff.

If the healer of the nest team is with them all the time, they don't have to think about quills or whatever, the nest team healer with largely suffice to heal them. If they are on the plaforms because they were doing the lower nests, thats a bonus, but its no needed.

When doing the upper nests you can't catch the feed young, they become pools on the platform, and also you also less time between nests, so it's better to go directly on the next nest and no coming back on the platform.

Btw, we do a 2dps + 1 Heal nest team, and we sometimes had one dps and 1 healer on a nest due to a fail, and we killed the adds in time anyway (that was our first down).
    So I don't think you need to have 3 dps there, but if it works for you, please do so .

To my knowledge, its not possible to have 2 nests up at the same time. Never happened to us.