15+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Xbox "Durango" Discussion (Announcement event on May 21st, 2013?)

Microsoft reportedly planning Pre-E3 Xbox "Durango" event for May 21st, 2013
    - http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/04...event-for-may/

Please for the love of gaming, don't start a console flame war here. This thread is for the positive discussion about the Xbox 360's successor and it's pending official announcement (see above). For those interested in the PlayStation 4 or WiiU, have threads for you linked below.
    - Megathread - Nintendo WiiU
    - Megathread - PlayStation 4

Remember!! Everything we know about the console, no matter where you read it, IS A RUMOR, until confirmed by Microsoft directly via official announcement or post-announcement discussion by first and third party developers.

[ What we know about the Xbox 360's successor, "Durango" ]

[ Console Name ]
    • "Durango" is the codename given to the Xbox 360's successor based on leaked design documents and documents handed out with devkits.
    • The official name may be along the lines of "Xbox 8", "Xbox Loop", or "Xbox Infinity" based on recent web domain arbitration where Microsoft was awarded the domains to multiple Xbox-related domains from domain squatters, most of the domains particularly involve "8" or "infinity"

[ Hardware - Console ]
    • "Zune HD"-like hardware platform; using a "main" processor with multiple dedicated "assistive" cores that focus on AI, sound, graphics, physics, networking, encyption, etc. Developed by Microsoft with 2 partners, based on ARM architecture
    • The "System on a chip" processor began production in October 2011, by IBM & Global Foundries; "PowerPC CPU married to an ATI Southern Islands GPU or 7000 series"
    • 16-core IBM PowerPC CPU
    • AMD/ATI 7000 series GPU
    • No "hard" drive, will use a solid state drive, pointing towards a 500gb drive.
    • Blu-Ray disk drive included
    • "Smaller than the 360, and cheaper to increase Kinect adoption"
    • "Durango" is supposed to be "one to eight" times more powerful than the Xbox 360.

[ Hardware - Controllers & Kinect ]
    • Leaked design documents show the Kinect has been updated to support 6 people (up from 2), and recognizes 25 points on the body (up from 20).
    • A new controller will be used, and is described by Kotaku as a "natural progression" of the 360's controller.
    • The 360's controllers will not be compatible with Durango, as it uses a "new wireless technology"
    • The "Durango" controller may have a HD screen surrounded by "traditional 360 buttons and sticks"; similar to the WiiU's gamepad, with extra added functionality as a potential remote, portable gaming device, internet browser, or additional game features (depending on the game).

[ Hardware - Other Peripherals ]
    • Support for virtual or augmented reality glasses to enhance the experience.
    • "Illumiroom" projector extends the game's environment to your walls via 3D projector.
    • "Smart Glass" revealed previously for 360 may be integrated as a core function into the new system.

[ Software - Operating System ]
    • The system may require an always-on internet connection, though whether it is limited to just games or the whole system is unknown.
    • The console's operating system may be based off of Windows 8, furthering Microsoft's goals of unifying everything under a single OS.
    • May support a form of multi-tasking where users can pause a game, go to the dashboard, load a different game, and switch between the two without losing any progress in either game. This is commonly found on PC, but new to consoles.

[ Software - Games, Apps, etc ]
    • Games are required to be installed to play, and can install while playing the game.
    • "Used games" may not work on the console, as a part of the requirements to install games and have an always-on connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to be hard to have a positive discussion with that list, always online, no used games, windows 8, kinect and not being able to use existing peripherals just seems like an excuse to finally get out of the console gaming scene. Owned both xbox's, not sure I'll be picking this one up. The hardware specs are decent enough, think ill wait till e3 before passing final judgement.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    [b]
    The console's operating system may be based off of Windows 8, furthering Microsoft's goals of unifying everything under a single OS.
    as a PC gamer, this point does interest me. does win8 operating system would mean a directX 11?
    Would that make actually an xbox and a PC compatible? or close enough to simplify considerably port? Would we see more console type game on PC (Halo, red dead redemption, final fantasy, dragonball fighting game...)

Deleted
    "Durango" is supposed to be "one to eight" times more powerful than the Xbox 360.

I'd hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    as a PC gamer, this point does interest me. does win8 operating system would mean a directX 11?
    Would that make actually an xbox and a PC compatible? or close enough to simplify considerably port? Would we see more console type game on PC (Halo, red dead redemption, final fantasy, dragonball fighting game...)
    Yes, but that doesn't really change anything. The current Xbox runs DX9 as far as I remember, and games are already quite easy to port from Xbox to PC, as an Xbox is basically a PC.

Your information are wrong.....it wont be a powerpc cpu but an x86 amd 8 core cpu.

Always on DRM and no used games is a no buy for me, i have to unplug my internet from my computer to plug my xbox into the internet. way too inconvienent for me, plus my internet goes out occasionally, meaning i won't be able to play my games, and i rent games from devs i dont normally buy from, so there's another miss.
    Gonna get a ps4 unless all this turns out to be just rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't really change anything. The current Xbox runs DX9 as far as I remember, and games are already quite easy to port from Xbox to PC, as an Xbox is basically a PC.
    nah its power pc, ports arent THAT easy and not as reliable, and the next box is reported to be an x86 architecture which means it is goign to probably use an instruction set similar to a pc architecture (probably the same) so the game will have a different UI and lower gfx settings and thats about it, they will (developers) min/max the usage of the cpu/gpu on the console and development cost will probably be the samething that they are on PC this means development cost might go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theyre are doing what sony are doing and using x86 which means no compatability of past games, yet another turn off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    nah its power pc, ports arent THAT easy and not as reliable, and the next box is reported to be an x86 architecture which means it is goign to probably use an instruction set similar to a pc architecture (probably the same) so the game will have a different UI and lower gfx settings and thats about it, they will (developers) min/max the usage of the cpu/gpu on the console and development cost will probably be the samething that they are on PC this means development cost might go down.
    why would development costs go down? even if they went down by the slightest bit do you really believe you will get cheaper console games?

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    why would development costs go down? even if they went down by the slightest bit do you really believe you will get cheaper console games?
    Games are already cheaper than what they were in the 1990's. Back then game cost where in between 70-90 $ here in canada....now its 59,99 MAX. and if development cost goes down(if it doesnt go down ...it wont skyrocket like crazy), it wont be cheaper to buy games....but maybe we will get more stuff, or more awesome game, and yes developpment cost goes down because it is easier to learn how to program new gen...an if its x86 they just have to fine tune the game to run on the console...the ports are almost direct from PC to console....only wii u will be left in th edark with its power pc cpu....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    Games are already cheaper than what they were in the 1990's. Back then game cost where in between 70-90 $ here in canada....now its 59,99 MAX. and if development cost goes down(if it doesnt go down ...it wont skyrocket like crazy), it wont be cheaper to buy games....but maybe we will get more stuff, or more awesome game, and yes developpment cost goes down because it is easier to learn how to program new gen...an if its x86 they just have to fine tune the game to run on the console...the ports are almost direct from PC to console....only wii u will be left in th edark with its power pc cpu....
    well most games in america were listed as $40-70. nintendo cartridges being especially expensive (but also some of the best games ever).

well ports from pc to console or console to pc werent that difficult this gen so why would nintendo wii u be left out?. I guess the pc will gain more crossplatform games due to the "next-gen" console designs aswell.. which gives me even less reason to buy xbox or playstation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Always on DRM and no used games is a no buy for me, i have to unplug my internet from my computer to plug my xbox into the internet. way too inconvienent for me, plus my internet goes out occasionally, meaning i won't be able to play my games, and i rent games from devs i dont normally buy from, so there's another miss.
    Gonna get a ps4 unless all this turns out to be just rumors.
    You know there is magical devices called.. "ROUTERS"
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    You know there is magical devices called.. "ROUTERS"
    In his defense, my router absolutely hates my 360. I ended up tethering it to my laptop and bridging it through the wireless.