Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What to upgrade now? (WoW)

Good morning MMO-C!

I mostly just play WoW and ever since MoP I've been bothered by my low fps aswell as framerate drops.

My system is as follows:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K, 3.5GHz, LGA 1155, 4C/8T - currently not overclocked, alltho I do have the Noctua Nh-D14 to keep it cool
    MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX, Z77, LGA1155
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP, 4x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL9@1.5V
    GPU: Gainward GTX-570 GLH 1.5Gb
    HDD for my OS and WoW: Samsung SSD 830Series D-Kit, MLC, 128GB
    PSU: A branded 680W PSU, I don't recall the brand tho (not at home atm)
    Monitor & resolution: Dell Ultrasharp 27" 2560x1440

So, what would I like to achieve?
    In 40m raids (Oondasta, Sha, Galleon) I currently have an utter stutter-fest, even when using the low setting. That's unaccaptable to me. In 25m raids (ToT etc.) I also have pretty low fps (maybe 25fps? Not quite sure tho) on ultra (shadows low). I'd like to have a steady 50+fps in those enviroments. With the 40m case being on medium quality at least.

So I've been thinking what steps to take. Big question is, what's the bottleneck?
    Generally for WoW the answer would be the cpu, if that was the case I'd try my hands at overclocking. I've never done so tho, so in that case I'd love for someone to post a good beginner guide on overclocking for my system if that's possible.
    The only other thing would be the GPU, mainly because I play at a resolution of 2560x1440, but if that's the case, what would a good option be? WoW doesn't gain much from SLI iirc, but maybe that'd be better due to the resolution? I could opt for SLI'ing 2x GTX660Ti's. Just making sure: Would 2x Asus GTX-660 Ti DirectCU II fit on my MB?

Appriciate any advice.

Deleted
    best bet?
    combination of overclocking the cpu and likely a new GPU. (660Ti not recommended for 1440p due to low Vram/membus bandwidth)
    you'd be better off with a single high end gpu instead of two mid tier ones like the 660Ti.

Deleted
    Well, I have quite the same PC spec.

My CPU is i5 3570k and my GPU is: Nvidia 650 ti - both CPU and GPU of yours are better. In 25 man raids I have like 80+ FPS. Do you have the latest graphic updates? Have you set your IGPU to work with your GTX-570 ? It helps a lot. I had similiar problem, after re-installing OS and installing all motherboard, CPU and GPU software/drivers it never happened again. In full Orgrimmar I have like 100+ fps. Never got any stuttering/lags or freeze.

Playing WoW, BF3 and other games on ultra. My GPU is quite "bad" and it can handle it without any problems. Playing 1920x1080. I know this sound ridiculous because of my low-spec ( for someone ).

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest issue (as opposed to problem) is that you're running at a very high resolution. Massive raids, no matter what you have, will tax any and every system at that res. You simply can't get a better cpu at this point, however it seems a bit silly to have a 3770K, noctua, and not be overclocking. It's basically a waste of $200. Kick that thing up. You can put it to at least 4.0 with effectively no heat gain. That will probably help the most.

After that, the GPU. As mentioned, at that res your memory bus is going to be taxed, so make sure its got good bandy. Based off the money you've already spent on your system, I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to get a 680.

You say you have the same pc spec... but are you running at 2560x1440? 1920x1080 is -very- different. It's very nearly half the system demand.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Do not go for SLI just for WoW. It isn't worth it.

Instead, go for something like the 7950 or the direct upgrade, the GTX 670. You'll save a bomb on costs over buying the two 660Tis.

For example: The model you listed is £230 over here, and the GTX 670 FTW is only £70 more than that, and a stock 7950 is the same price as the model you listed, according to EBuyer (with the overclocked 7950 being a mere £35 more).

It's definitely worth upgrading the GPU, but not for SLI.

EDIT: there's a 4GB 680 here for the cost of the two 660Tis or there's this 7970 Vapor-X for £379.99.

On Newegg, thius is the same GTX680 and this is the 7970 Vapor-X
    Last edited by mmoc5a460f7641; 2013-04-03 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    best bet?
    combination of overclocking the cpu and likely a new GPU. (660Ti not recommended for 1440p due to low Vram/membus bandwidth)
    you'd be better off with a single high end gpu instead of two mid tier ones like the 660Ti.
    Yea I was thinking the same about the 660ti, I just have my doubts about a GTX670 being much of an upgrade while the GTX680 is still quite expensive (especially so living in Switzerland). So just having a shot at it while investing over 600 CHF (1€ = 1.25 CHF) doesn't feel too good. Alltho I would be picking up a 4gb model so who knows how much of an improvement that could be.
    I might just end up doing both the overclocking together with a GPU upgrade, would love to hear more opinions tho.

Nifelvind:
    I was doing relatively fine in Cata, even tho I did see a framerate drop upon getting this beauty of a screen. Now it's just coming to a point where it's starting to actually bother me.
    Are you talking about 25m while in combat or waiting to pull?
    In combat I rarely have over 50fps, especially while looking at the boss.
    While the resolution does play a big role in fps-performance and the i5 should perform very much equally to the i7 in WoW it is indeed surprising to see the 650ti holding up that well for you.

Edit:
    Haha im in a course atm so I'm obviously way too slow on responding, already had 2 new posts when I finished the response to the first 2 posts. I'll come back to ya asap
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2013-04-03 at 09:35 AM.

Deleted
    iirc i read quite some time back that a single 670 could manage BF3 on high settings with 50+ fps on 1440p.
    also a good overclocker of a 670 can outrun quite some 680's.

Deleted
    Gaming at that resolution demands a pretty decent GPU. WoW is certainly CPU dependant but it's a recently updated game to take advantage of all the DX 11 goodies that modern cards support. As chazus has mentioned already, investing in a top end card to support that resolution would be ideal for all modern games.

The cheapest option would be to overclock your CPU and lower your resolution.

Alright, I ordered an Asus GTX-680 DirectCU II 4GB, it's currently not in stock at my retailer tho.

Gonna fiddle with some overclockingon the cpu in the meantime until the card arrives. Only getting home on thursday evening anyways, so shouldnt be too long until it arrives.
    Any good guides out there that match my setup?

Thanks for the input btw.
    It's pretty much what I expected but I wanted to hear other opinions first, sooo... yea, cheers!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
    Alright, I ordered an Asus GTX-680 DirectCU II 4GB, it's currently not in stock at my retailer tho.

Gonna fiddle with some overclockingon the cpu in the meantime until the card arrives. Only getting home on thursday evening anyways, so shouldnt be too long until it arrives.
    Any good guides out there that match my setup?

Thanks for the input btw.
    It's pretty much what I expected but I wanted to hear other opinions first, sooo... yea, cheers!
    I'd really follow Drudgery's advice, generally., a smaller, but still high-end GPU along with a lower res monitor, would do more work than paying for an elite GPU, which is what you'd really need.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    I'd really follow Drudgery's advice, generally., a smaller, but still high-end GPU along with a lower res monitor, would do more work than paying for an elite GPU, which is what you'd really need.
    why would he go for a lower resolution?
    can't make much sense of your post. (a 680 4Gb is pretty much a textbook definition of a high end)

Deleted
    Cancel that order and just get a 2 GB one. The 4 GB is wasted on the 680 due to its limited membus. You are better of with just getting the 2 GB version, or even better get a 670 or 7970. Where the 7970 has my preference due to its higher vram/membus.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-04-03 at 11:33 AM.

Meh, price difference between 2 and 4GB is rather small here. As I'm going into this with hoping to get much better results I'd rather shoot for the 680 as I have doubts about the direct successor being much of an upgrade.

chazus:
    Yea it was built with having overclocking on my mind, I knew I'd eventually go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifelvind View Post

My CPU is i5 3570k and my GPU is: Nvidia 650 ti - both CPU and GPU of yours are better. In 25 man raids I have like 80+ FPS. Do you have the latest graphic updates? Have you set your IGPU to work with your GTX-570 ? It helps a lot. I had similiar problem, after re-installing OS and installing all motherboard, CPU and GPU software/drivers it never happened again. In full Orgrimmar I have like 100+ fps. Never got any stuttering/lags or freeze.

Playing WoW, BF3 and other games on ultra. My GPU is quite "bad" and it can handle it without any problems. Playing 1920x1080. I know this sound ridiculous because of my low-spec ( for someone ).
    I call BS tbh, you have either never checked your fps or you are just lying to the OP. I cannot get 80+ fps in 25 mans, in 1080p. The OP's problem is that his gpu isn't handling the resolution he is playing the game at. Get yourself a R7950 and OC your CPU to 4.4ish GHZ and you should be fine. If you still feel the stutter hell, you will most likely need to clock up your RAM a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I call BS tbh, you have either never checked your fps or you are just lying to the OP. I cannot get 80+ fps in 25 mans, in 1080p. The OP's problem is that his gpu isn't handling the resolution he is playing the game at. Get yourself a R7950 and OC your CPU to 4.4ish GHZ and you should be fine. If you still feel the stutter hell, you will most likely need to clock up your RAM a little.
    Agreed, I've posted before about people posting incredible bs without backing it up. Toms hardware benchmarks an extreme sandy bridge along with the 650 ti and got about 50 FPS with max over clock. Outside of raids. Nobody gets 80-100 FPS just because they will it to happen. Without screenshots during intense raids, all advice or posts like this are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Good to hear people calling bs on that, felt really awkward to read that haha.

Either way I actually cancelled the order of the GTX680 and just went for the Titan instead. Should be able to run other games really nicely aswell with that. So much for not wanting to spend as much money, yey! Tho I just got a payment raise so I think I can allow myself a treat haha.
    I'll report back to you after I receive it (not in stock aswell atm but that's not surprising) and overclocking my CPU to 4-4.2GHz.

Deleted

Either way I actually cancelled the order of the GTX680 and just went for the Titan instead. Should be able to run other games really nicely aswell with that. So much for not wanting to spend as much money, yey! Tho I just got a payment raise so I think I can allow myself a treat haha.
    I'll report back to you after I receive it (not in stock aswell atm but that's not surprising) and overclocking my CPU to 4-4.2GHz.
    prepare for a long wait, haven't seen restocks since their launch.
    so far only EVGA official shop seems to have one left in stock.(stock version)

Deleted

Okay, now you should be pretty much able to knock anything coming out in the next year out of the park, with the maybe exception being MMOs (CPU-depedency and all that).

Deleted
    Zotac one is available in the netherlands, 1-5 days delivery For some reason, I just think we are quite lucky with these special cards :P Either we get to many of them, or just no one wants them and there are plenty left :P

As for the OP, you should have no issues playing games for a long time

My retailer just got 5 Gainward cards on stock so I'll have mine tomorrow