Extremily out of shape.

Hai.

Not gonna go into too many details. But about 7 years ago. I was healthy and rather normal looking. Didnt work out. But i was in decent shape anyhow. One day at work i crushed my arm under 170KG. And eventualy lost my job. Then it started to spiral downwards from there. Depressions and whatnot.
    A few years later i got a issues with my eyes and i was slowly going blind.

Last summer it was stable and i started to become a little more active again. But soon to turn into an infection that hit my brain. I was functional but at home in my room for nearly half a year. In bed most of the time.

Now things have taken a step towards the light side of the moon. (almost completly disease free) But the last 6 months in and out of bed have taken its toll on my stamina, muscles and weight. Ive gained about 10 kilo. i cant really run much at all. My leg muscles just laugh at me. about 2 min and it feels like my legs got hit by a small nuke and i can barely stand

I have started on a gym. I workout 2 times a week now. Lifting weights. Getting my strength back. Especcialy my legs.

For cardio. I am aiming for a bike ride 2-3 times a week. about 13km (aprox 8 miles)

Is this a good starting point ? or do i have to add even more to it ?
    Ive done the bike ride twice. Its hard but managable. And curse bike seats. They suck!

No offense dude but DAMN YOU GOT FUCKED.

In all seriousness I am glad you are okay now!

This seems like a good regiment to begin with. I would add more in a couple months when you start feeling stronger and more comfortable.

Best of luck!~

Deleted
    When I was 17 I was rather... weighty and big, no strenght and no stamina, I decided it was enough and now I am 19, ripped and in better shape them I would have ever hoped.
    I started out jogging/running w/e you call it in english and started off with 60 sec running, 60 sec rest and that for 10 sets.
    2nd week was 1:30 running 1 min off 1:30 running 1 min off , again for 10 sets.
    What you are doing is very similar, try ask at your gym or they can help you with a schedule for your biking, or look it up on the internet, make sure its a reliable source thou because there are enough sites that talk bullshit and will only ruin your muscle or not really improve your stamina.
    See what works best for you, it takes some research.
    Also your diet is very important, alot of people including myself before I looked into it, underestimate this.
    Make sure you get enough carbs, protine, fats and calories inside, but not too many! Just check what you eat and adjust, if you keep track of this it really helps, even with weight loss.

Sorry for a somewhat messy post, I'm on a phone and just really had to reply to thsi because I know the situation of wanting to lose weight.

EDIT: Also, before going for your workout, either cardio or weight lifting, eat a banana, it sounds stupid but it really helps your energy levels and is full of proper vitamins and what not, don't really know how to properly say it in english but just eat one, it actually properly helps.

Also this holds alot of truth, don't over do yourself, if you really feel like you should not workout for a day then don't!
    Its not bad to push yourself but don't ruin your body by doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
    My advice would be as from what i've read it seems that your body is still quite weak (not meaning that in an offensive way) just take things slowly and dont overstretch yourself at least until you're bodies a bit stronger. Going mad at this early stage you're going to do yourself more harm than good and a high chance of winding up with an injury making you bedbound again. So yeah just take it steady man! All the best to you!

Regards,
    Paintank
    Last edited by mmoce2df7add8c; 2013-04-09 at 01:17 PM.

First of all that sucks what happened to you and congrats on recovering!

My advice would be as from what i've read it seems that your body is still quite weak (not meaning that in an offensive way) just take things slowly and dont overstretch yourself at least until you're bodies a bit stronger. Going mad at this early stage you're going to do yourself more harm than good and a high chance of winding up with an injury making you bedbound again. So yeah just take it steady man! All the best to you!

That sounds like a pretty tough road you've got, but congrats on being positive and putting the effort in! I hope for the best for you. It sounds to me like you're doing it right in terms of getting back with the program. As Paintank mentions above, getting the correct nutrition's going to be a big deal for helping get your muscles back to where they need to be. Even though you can't run much right now, as Paintank mentions, if you can just get started with intervals, you'll get better and better over time. You're doing great though, don't get discouraged!

Thanks guys.
    I didnt exactly pull the longest straw in life, did i ?

I know i got a lot to get from better diets. But i dont eat a lot of fastfood or candy. And i do eat a lot of chicken breasts. Lean. No skin. Also not too much red meat. But a steak now and then

My main goal isnt really to lose weight as much as getting my strength back to be able to use my body again. Used to play golf and now i dont even think i would be able to walk and finish a round.(18 holes with 15-20 kilo golf bag isnt exactly a walk in the park ) Thats one of my goals.

10+ Year Old Account
    i recommend you seek out consultation from a physical rehab therapist, it sounds like you are experiencing some muscle atrophy from being bedridden, you are less likely hurt yourself this way

You should look into Couch 2 5K. It's a 9 week program based around slowly gaining momentum in running towards a final goal of a 5K run. It's like 30min a day, 3 times a week. I've been dieting and working out for about 3 months now, and I've been doing pretty good (294 to 258) so I decided to start this program. I'm starting week 4 tonight, and I feel great. I use an elliptical though because I don't have the greatest knees, plus I'm fat which makes the impact from running worse.

Theres an app for your smartphone called RunDouble that I use, register for free and you get the C25K update.
    Retired WoW player. Ameteur family man.

After I tore two of my knee tendons and was bed bound for 2 months, I got back in shape by swimming. You could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    After I tore two of my knee tendons and was bed bound for 2 months, I got back in shape by swimming. You could try that.
    I have been thinking about that. My brother and his gf swim 2 days a week.

I was out cycling now. Just got back. I spent about 43 min on that route. around 13 km (around 8 miles)

My plan is something like this
    Monday - Gym. Biceps and back.
    Tuesday - Cycling. My route.
    Wed - Day off.
    Thursday - Gym. Tricep and chest.
    Friday - Cycling. My route again.
    Saturday - Legs at home. Weights.
    Sunday - Cycling, Same route.

Keep going like this until im in good enough shape to cycle to the gym. About 10 km each way.

And then switch to
    Monday - Gym. biceps and back. Cycle to and home from the gym
    Tuesday - off (possibly swimming
    Wednesday - off
    Thursday - Gym triceps and chest. Cycle both ways.
    Friday - A decent cycling trip. Like 25 km or something like that.
    Saturday - Gym. Legs and shoulders- Cycle both ways

I know it looks like a lot But it really isnt that much. I am unemployed still. So im not really doing much now days. So i can manage to workout those days. And as you can see. Its only 1 excercise for each muscle group a week. Except legs which get a little more.

Does this look like a plan or should i go back to start and try again ?
    Sunday - Feel sorry for myself because everything hurts

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll get used to the bike seat. It takes me time every year to work up to a longer bike-ride just on butt pain alone.

Biking is good when you're trying to start out exercising because it's not as intense as running, meaning you can do it for a lot longer before you're exhausted. As someone above me said, swimming is another good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be interested in watching your progress, I'm not as bad off as you were but I need to shed a bunch of weight for my own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Does this look like a plan or should i go back to start and try again ?
    The most important thing is keeping your shedule and not giving up. I really hope you achieve your goal.

Do consider swimming too. It's a very good all-body exercise while easy on the joints. Also helps with improving lung capacity and general stamina.

Deleted
    A good way to start out and get fit is bike&run.
    All it takes is a bicycle, a friend and a rute.

Start on the bike while your friend is running, after 500 metres or so jump off the bike and run. When your friend gets to the bike he'll jump on, get 500 metres in front of you, jump off and run - and so on...
    Works very well because of the difference in the way you use your muscles when running/biking

I feel for you. It sounds more or less like the same boat I have been in the last few years, one problem after another, lasting so long that even when it ends, the length of time spent inactive still makes you feel nearly crippled. But yeah, biking is a good way to go, whether a real one or an exercise bike. It will build both leg muscles and stamina, and of course sprinkling in weights is good too.