Poll: Do you read and learn the boss mechanics from the Dungeon Journal before new bosses?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you read the Dungeon Journal before you do every boss fight?

Do you read through the dungeon journal and learn all the abilities bosses have before you attempt any new raid boss, on any difficulty? Or are you one of "those guys" who just plays with the blind eye and "wing it," because hey! afterall, its only LFR?

Personally I think its absolutely stupid not to, especially on newer encounters. What do you do?

Poll incoming.

If I skipped watching the boss fight for it or I forgot the abilities then I do, if not then I'm all good.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I also take a look at various vids like Fatboss guides so I have a general idea of what to do visually. Though 10-man normal is slightly different from LFR, they're usually pretty close in terms of mechanics.

A lot of the fights in LFR have thus far required more than just wailing on the boss until loot, particularly the Halls of Flesh-Shaping bosses (Durumuuuu!). I like to get people through it, so I usually do some quick raiding tip write-ups before going in to a new instance and /rw them to everyone before the pull. It helps people pick up what to do a little quicker. We don't need too many stacks of Determination to pull it off .

Always have a quick read through the abilities, but the best way to get a feel for the boss (imo) is to just go at it, see how it unfolds and learn from there, then come back at it and do it right. Have had a blast these last few weeks, people in LFR have been great, no bitching and moaning, people are helping each other, and dicussing the bosses and linking abilities from the spellbook and really working as a team. Have had so much fun with ToT so far!

Extremely biased poll. Like so biased you should feel bad for trying that hard to push people in your opinion.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeon Journal isn't very helpful to me. It's specifically designed not to tell you how to deal with the mechanics--just to tell you what they are. I read strategies and watch videos of the fights before I do them; that works much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watch the normal/ heroic mode guides, so just wing it in LFR.

Well looks like there's no option for me to pick :/.

No, I do not check it before a fight.
    But I use it to get information about special boss mechanics (although most of the time the special thing you want to know isn't covered it the ability description)

For LFR i don't, but if i were to go back to raiding HC i would of course read into mechanics / watch vids

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Well looks like there's no option for me to pick :/.
    since its so hard to choose from yes / no right?

Yes I do read them, though they have no place in the game really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Dungeon Journal isn't very helpful to me. It's specifically designed not to tell you how to deal with the mechanics--just to tell you what they are. I read strategies and watch videos of the fights before I do them; that works much better for me.
    I watch videos and read strats, but having the ability to look at actual boss abilities and what they do helps me learn the mechanics much more than just a video explaining stuff. Especially if it is specific to my class role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    since its so hard to choose from yes / no right?
    No, because you assume LFR/normal mode players don't watch boss fight videos instead of only reading dungeon journal.

Deleted
    Yes, I kinda like this feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a healer, the only things I have to worry about in LFR is when to stack and spam AoE heals. Usually those are announced through DBM's headlines so I don't need a dungeon journal.

Of course. I read it multiple times. Aside from reading it to learn normal mode bosses, Ill read it before LFR so I cant get a handle on changes from normal to LFR mode as well as give myself a refresher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I watch videos and read strats, but having the ability to look at actual boss abilities and what they do helps me learn the mechanics much more than just a video explaining stuff. Especially if it is specific to my class role.
    The videos cover the boss abilities way better than the Dungeon Journal does, though (assuming it's a how-to video, anyway, which is what I've been using this expansion). At least for me, just seeing what the ability does isn't nearly as useful as seeing it in action. The main thing the Dungeon Journal is useful for, for me, is the "This only occurs in heroic" and "In 25-man, this ability hits 5 players instead of 2" stuff.

I read it, but it doesn't help TBH

It's a laundry list of esoteric movenames and numbers, no clarity at all as to what the effects look like (A tad more useful than knowing what grandiose name an attack has IMO), or what things are irrelevant for my role, i do like the articles sites like Wow insider post, they say what happens, what it looks like and how things work in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No, because you assume LFR/normal mode players don't watch boss fight videos instead of only reading dungeon journal.
    Also the assumption that lfr raiders who don't read the journal are carried.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!