Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need bat tips on Tortos. Prot paladin perspective.

Tonight I tanked bats and we had a few problems with the bats dieing. One was I wasn't able to pump out high aoe numbers as a prot paladin. The other was that I wasn't able to get snap aggro on them. What can I do to do more the 100k aoe damage to them and how can I get snap aggro? They forgot to log tonight so I don't have logs. We had a hunter who I do not think was using MD. We were using two melee dps to kill the bats.

My opener on them was holy wrath, hammer, target my self with holy prism, drop conc. I was in seal of insight. I truely do not know what I can do as a prot paladin to get more aoe dps and faster aoe threat. I even was getting hit by the turtles to have vengeance when the bats came down.

Talk to your hunter, make sure he misdirects the bats to you (makes it so much easier than you having to run across a room full of turtles).
    Once you've had a few seconds of threat on them, you can also tank them near the bosstank, with his vengeance he should be able to put out quite a bit of AOE and any turtle kicks might also hit the bats.

Are you solo-tanking? If not, that's the problem.

Allow me to quote myself from earlier today,

A solo-tank prot paladin using Seal of Insight and Battle Healer = bats will immediately go for him. At this point, you will want the paladin to drop a consecrate/light's hammer and immediately HotR the bats. This tank needs to keep Tortos focus-targeted so that he can see when the boss casts his Bite attack (failure to do so will usually result in the bats getting healed and the tank possibly dying).

As soon as the prot paladin hits HotR on the bats (keep in mind that he actually has to be targeting the bats. If he's targeting Tortos, the hammer won't hit the bats), your DPS should be able to start. From this point on, the tank should pop a minor cooldown and reposition to guarantee that the bats are not hitting his back.

Recap: Focus target the boss. RF + Seal of Insight + Battle Healer = bats go straight for the tank. Drop consecrate/light's hammer so that the bats will hit it before/when they reach the tank. Immediately use Hammer of the Righteous on the bats when they arrive. Reposition so the bats are all in front of the tank. Kill the bats. Make sure to use Shield of the Righteous any time Tortos casts Snapping Bite. Oh, and avoid the circles on the ground.

That's literally all there is to it. If your DPS can hold off long enough for the tank to HotR, they shouldn't pull aggro. If your tank can focus target the boss for ShoR purposes and not get hit in the back, damage shouldn't be an issue. It's pretty easy, especially with a few attempts of practice.

Warning: If you aren't solo-tanking, do not allow your prot paladin to tank the boss with Seal of Insight... your other tank will likely have major issues acquiring the bats.
    We've been doing this since our first kill and it isn't very difficult at all.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-04-10 at 04:08 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Step 1: Ensure you are hit and expertise capped.
    Step 2: Insight is not an AoE DPS Seal; change to Seal of Righteousness.
    Step 3: Respec out of Holy Prism; use Light's Hammer.

Right before the bats spawn, drop your Consecration and Light's Hammer. Seal twist to Righteousness and then pop your wings. Holy Wrath -> Hammer of the Righteous -> Avenger's Shield.

I can't imagine you'd have problems after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    Talk to your hunter, make sure he misdirects the bats to you (makes it so much easier than you having to run across a room full of turtles).
    Once you've had a few seconds of threat on them, you can also tank them near the bosstank, with his vengeance he should be able to put out quite a bit of AOE and any turtle kicks might also hit the bats.
    So how do I get higher prot paladin dps then 100k? Because our bats were not dieing fast enough with me on them, but a druid changed to tank and his dps went to 165k. How do I generate enough aggro faster? Even if the hunter md's me, that threat isn't enough for dps to go right to dpsing the bats.

Are you in position under the bats as they come down? I find that moving my camera so it's looking down on the room lets me see where the bats are going to go before they're in melee range, so I can hit them asap. I can't offer a lot of pally specific advice, since I tank that fight on a brewmaster and I just use spinning crane kick/keg smash and I'm good to go... how hard does holy wrath hit these days? Last time I used it was in cata when it hit like a wet noodle, but if it's still weak would it be better to open with hammer? Or is it a range issue that's causing you open with holy wrath?

(MD is a good idea of course, just trying to offer possibilities.)

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Are you in position under the bats as they come down? I find that moving my camera so it's looking down on the room lets me see where the bats are going to go before they're in melee range, so I can hit them asap. I can't offer a lot of pally specific advice, since I tank that fight on a brewmaster and I just use spinning crane kick/keg smash and I'm good to go... how hard does holy wrath hit these days? Last time I used it was in cata when it hit like a wet noodle, but if it's still weak would it be better to open with hammer? Or is it a range issue that's causing you open with holy wrath?

Holy Wrath can hit pretty hard, but the damage is split between targets, so it's not so great at getting snap aggro on bats.

Again, if you have a prot paladin, you should be solo-tanking this encounter. Anything else is a waste.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by llandrywyn View Post
    Step 1: Ensure you are hit and expertise capped.
    Step 2: Insight is not an AoE DPS Seal; change to Seal of Righteousness.
    Step 3: Respec out of Holy Prism; use Light's Hammer.

Right before the bats spawn, drop your Consecration and Light's Hammer. Seal twist to Righteousness and then pop your wings. Holy Wrath -> Hammer of the Righteous -> Avenger's Shield.

I can't imagine you'd have problems after that.
    Sorry, but my heals from battle healer do way more threat then both seal of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous combined. I am at 7.5% hit and 15% exprties. Lights hammer has to have time to tick, just like conc does. I need a way to get faster aoe threat. You are suggesting a sub par threat generating method with a poor aoe threat seal with a two minute cd. The cd would help with the first set of bats.

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post

I run to em. I get aggro. I just cant get Enough Fast enough for the dps to start in on them right away. They have to wait like 2-3seconds they said.

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Holy Wrath can hit pretty hard, but the damage is split between targets, so it's not so great at getting snap aggro on bats.

Again, if you have a prot paladin, you should be solo-tanking this encounter. Anything else is a waste.
    Why single tank it? how would i ensure the bats get to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Why single tank it? how would i ensure the bats get to me?

Read my above post -- it details pretty much everything you need to know about solo-tanking.

TL;DR: Solo-tanking = around 140k vengeance = battle healer pulls the adds to you. Once you are able to HotR them, you will not lose aggro.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Read my above post -- it details pretty much everything you need to know about solo-tanking.

TL;DR: Solo-tanking = around 140k vengeance = battle healer pulls the adds to you. Once you are able to HotR them, you will not lose aggro.
    sorry, whenever i refresh the page it skips things so i didn't read it. Ill suggest that to my guild next time since my damage just seemed a bit low aoe wise.

The point with single tanking it is due to your higher vengeance from the boss abilities, your self healing through seal of insight will generate large amounts of threat and as soon as the bats spawn will focus you and come straight to you. Add a little bit of aoe damage to them when they are in melee range and bam they stick to you like glue. No chasing, no running around like crazy. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    sorry, whenever i refresh the page it skips things so i didn't read it. Ill suggest that to my guild next time since my damage just seemed a bit low aoe wise.
    Excellent! As long as you can handle hitting ShoR for every Bite and dancing around the cave-ins, you'll dominate. For instance, I did about 140k dps and 40k~ healing tonight, and 200k DPS and 50k healing a couple weeks ago. Just got to make sure that the bats/boss aren't hitting your back. You'll be able to save all of your survival cooldowns for bats, too, so you can easily come up with a rotation.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    the Battle Insight trick seems to only work reliably on normal, on heroic we found that the crystal shell absorbs the healing and doesn't generate enough threat to reliably out aggro random other shit. We didn't have a hunter.

Normal it works great. if you are comparing logs then don't forget that a lot of the top logs probably have the tank only on the bats to whore meters.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are two tanking it, and you have a holy paladin in raid, then let him heal with Righteous Fury. Stick a raid mark on him and follow him around, you'll have almost no problem aggroing the bats.

If you aren't solo-tanking (like on 25 man), let yourself drop right as the bats prepare to land, and hit a 5 stack WoG. This will heal you for 300+k, getting you a lot of threat on all the bats (~100k on each). Holy Wrath will hit them from further away than you think (another 100k threat on each), as soon as they are within melee range HotR. Lay down a consecrate before the bats land, so that it ticks immediately when they move over it. Move the bats to the boss, and get somebody to kick a turtle through them so that they take 25% more damage.

If you have a prot pally on the boss, then a non-paladin bat off-tank will not be able to tank the bats.

another suggestion for if you don't feel comfortable to solo tank them
    -start on boss
    -when bats come battle healer makes sure the bats go for you
    -have the other tank taunt the boss, you have the bats, he has the boss
    -taunt boss again when bats die and repeat the above steps ^^

Deleted
    If your dps are attacking them before they land there's really nothing you can do. I simply jump into them with holy wrath which is enough to out threat the healers and then i'm set.

100k dps just on bats doesn't sound unreasonable, why do you need to kill them quicker?

Our raid uses the same two tanks - a paladin on Tortos and a druid (myself) on the bats. At the pull, the druid can tank Tortos to gain vengeance, and after the first quake, the paladin will taunt him and remain on him for the rest of the fight. At this point, the high vengeance will lead to pretty ridiculous healing aggro for the paladin, so when the bats come down, they almost always head to him. When the bats are in range, the paladin tanking Tortos must be sure to stop AoE for a moment until the other tank picks up the bats and has solid threat. Then the melee and tanks can unload on them and they should die within a few seconds.

Tanking the bats in front of Tortos gives some advantages in that they are able to be debuffed by the shell as it passes through them, melee won't have to travel, it's easy for the OT to pick them up, and the Tortos tank's absurd damage from all that vengeance isn't going to waste. I think it makes more sense to have the paladin on Tortos to SotR before every snapping bite and mitigate a good portion of it, as opposed to the druid who must dodge it (very RNG) or heal some of it back (can put you dangerously low on health).

Just because other people find it easy to solo tank doesn't mean that it makes sense for you.

We approach this fight with sort of a hybrid strategy. What ended up working for us was having the paladin (me) start off tanking the boss, the bats come right to me because of Battle Healer aggro but if they don't then the resto druid is really nearby and they like him a lot too. I'd take the bats when they arrived, our offtank would take the boss until the bats were dead, then I'd take the boss back. Our other tank does better dps in blood spec than in frost, and this way he gets a decent amount of vengeance as do I. And this way I don't have to worry about shield blocking the chomps while keeping faced towards the boss and the bats.

I can and have solo tanked big chunks of the fight, but it's harder work than I want to do on farm content.

Have your Hunter add /tar Vamp into a Misdirect Macro before Misdirecting onto you. Then Barrage those incoming bats. Problem solved.