Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I played RoC, loved the story. Started reading the books and rooted for the alliance, till Rise of the Horde came out. I fell in love with these people, who were honorable, but corrupted by Demons and Guldan. I used to want the Alliance to crush them, now i wanted to pity them.

I play Horde, at first because my friends did, but now because i like the story they finally got. Then I realized that the Alliance had a lot more lore than the Horde. The Books, the comics, the mangas... most of it was alliance based. Humans killed Onyxia, Darian(alliance) did Naxx, the Dwarves did Molten Core. Not sure how much of TBC is cannon, but Medihv being there with Illidan probably hints at Alliance. Only until Deathwing, did a Horde character play a roll in a Raid(Thrall) before that you had Tirion(all throughout wotlk) Cata Horde had gotten some lore, that I consider was on par with Alliance, mop however sees more of a horde focus, though even with Horde and Alliance players. And personally i think its shit lore being an Orc atm.

I wont complain though, I favored the Alliance first and loved the Horde soon after, but I will point out some alliance bullcrap that "The alliance is losing, blizzard is biased for horde"

also to Thrask's thread, dudes passionate about the game. What if Varian started killing puppies and no human did anything good for a whole expansion? im sure a lot of you would make him look like a pacifist

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    Dont kid yourself.

Had Varian been doing what Garrosh is, and had Ally been the bad guys now, the amount of complaints we would see from Ally saying their story is being derailed would be ridiculous.
    I never said they wouldn't. Just as the Horde are complaining about Garrosh being "unbelievable" even though he's always been a proud, impulsive, and aggressive character. My point was that you'd see Horde complaining if Alliance politics claimed all the attention at the end of an expansion.

Basically, both sides are full of people who will complain when they don't like something that the story does. The reason the Horde aren't complaining about the Alliance "stealing the story" is because so far, they haven't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Why?

there's a saying, about how the grass always seems like it's greener on the other side.
    Technically, it'd always be greener on the alliance side. Less cows.
    Look! Words!

I see this all the time, but where is Ally lacking on development?

Cata pissed me off not going to lie, but only because the former warchief was now neutral, and was the only guy seeing development.

MoP isnt over yet, and despite being more story balanced, I still see Ally complain, because that development isnt what they wanted, and/or isnt happening NOW. Maybe A Little Patience was more of an Ally scenario than Blizz meant.
    TBC: Horde saw Thrall return to Outland, meet his grandmother, introduced Garrosh, Rexxar arrived in Blade's Edge.
    TBC: Alliance saw......well, Khadgar was standing Shattrath and Trollbane was a quest giver.
    Point: Horde

Wrath: Garrosh/Thrall duel pre-Wrath, Horde saw Garrosh developing as leader of the forces in Northrend, civil war in the Undercity, Thrall helping clean that up and Sylvannas getting rid of Varimathras.
    Wrath: Alliance saw the return of Muradin Bronzebeard and Varian had a scuffle with Garrosh. Our real development was Muradin's return and Varian's compassion towards Saurfang. We did get to revisit some WC III scenes, which were kinda cool.
    Point: Despite what people try to argue, I give no points. Both had moderate development, but neither had anything too big. Overall, I still feel Horde got the better hooks for story.

Cataclysm: Horde saw the worgen starting zone conclusion instead of Alliance, Sylvanas and Garrosh butted heads, Sylvanas got the valkyr plot moving, Garrosh appeared in leveling zones, Garrosh took action in Twilight Highlands. Dragonmaw joined the Horde, no fallout as the red dragons are fully okay with Horde and Dragonmaw attack Alliance amidst Twilight incursion.
    Cataclysm: Wrath saw Anduin walk around Stormwind with you. Malfurion stood in place during leveling quest and went fully neutral to Horde while Ashenvale burned. Wildhammer rejoined the Alliance but did nothing other than band together.
    Point: Massively Horde

MoP: Horde has seen Lorthemar developing more, Vol'jin is taking center stage, Thrall reclaimed Echo Isles, Sylvanas is supposed to appear for involvement, Rexxar is rumored to return to be involved in the final attack. Vol'jin plans the Siege of Orgrimmar with his ragtag band of rebels and the Alliance comes along to help him.
    MoP: Alliance has seen Tyrande "put in her place" on deep forest combat tactics by Varian, Jaina rounded up Sunreavers in Dalaran, and Anduin goes on adventures. Moira supports the Alliance in Dun Morogh.
    Point: Fairly even, but I'm going to say the Horde wins with being way more interesting.

The Alliance has had pretty weak faction development for 3 expansions. Mists has been the most we've seen and it's not bad, but it doesn't feel like there's any reason for Alliance pride when our grand shining moment is just to support the Horde and help them get what they want. Now, we don't KNOW how SoO will end, but history suggests the Alliance can expect nothing whatsoever in the end and they're honestly going to come out looking a bit silly if that's the case.

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 04:40 PM ----------

Before MoP, Horde had Thrall. That is all. Sylvanas saw nothing in WotLK compared to what could have been. Vol'Jin and Baine/Cairne literally sid nothing. Lor'Therawho?

For Horde, Garrosh, VJ, LT, and somewhat Thrall and Baine have so far seen development. And remember, after 5.3, dont expect anyone else to really do much, as after 5.3 the Horde is ready to siege. Dont expect too see them doing much outside of SoO for 5.4.

For Alliance, Varian, Jaina, Anduin, and somewhat Moira have seen development so far (not counting Tyrande, it would cause too much uneeded arguments). However, expect much more in 5.4, as thats when the army arrives, and the Ally side of things is still not finished. But still, endless complaints (re:not constructive), about 5.3 and MoP in general. Has Varian seen too much screen time? In comparison to the other Ally leaders, yeah, but in comparison to Thrall or Garrosh? Not at all. Did you see as much Horde complain about seeing Thrall too much in Cata, as you do Ally complaining seeing Varian in MoP?
    Most Alliance haven't complained about Varian's screen time, it's how he's presented.

Let's get something straight. The Alliance players (the reasonable ones) don't feel the Horde are getting too much development. The Horde are PROPERLY being developed. You've got all the leaders starting to show their own personality and taking action. The Horde development in Cataclysm and MoP should be the standard for faction development and storytelling.

The Alliance just needs to be brought up to par; not all their leaders being shown up and bowing to one character. MoP has been a step in the right direction for getting Alliance back on track and I expect next expansion, if it's Legion themed, to be the big opportunity with draenei lore, Velenn, Anduin, and Turalyon & Alleria returning.

There are just some things about MoP that don't feel like they make sense, particularly after pre-MoP interviews saying the expansion would be the Alliance's moment to shine, the expansion to really fuel Alliance pride, and give them their big "fist pump" moment. But then, 5.1 was also supposed to make NEs bad ass again...
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-04-10 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are alliance and QQing?
    I get the topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

The Alliance has had pretty weak faction development for 3 expansions.
    That was amazing, how you did that. Here... let me try

Vanilla: Onyxa/Alliance Molten Core/Alliance Naxxramas/Alliance(yes Darian and nights of the silver hand are alliance) Lets also throw in Varian's adventures in the comics, where he becomes Logash, saves thunderbluff, defeats the Horde in Ashenvale(the first time) and so much more.

Point... Alliance

TBC: So far that stupid Paladin and his Dragon GF is the only cannon(goddamnit knaak) Return of Maiev who helps kill Illidan. Turalyn's son, Kadgher(butchering names i think) also returns. Thrall meets gramma and garrosh(ohh joy)

Point... yeah alliance

Wotlk: Another Alliance turned Villian, will ignore it again. Tirion... is the Thrall of this expansion, except he starts off in Valgarde doing Alliance quests. Vrykul, Human development. Frost/iron dwarves, and the return Muradin, with his brothers, Dwarven development. taunka, Tauren development(though they had no quest interacting). That alliance dk gets a manga and cool ingame quest. Garrosh and thrall had crappy fight, while Varian got the most awesome looking model at the time. Thrall helps Undercity, Varian assaults undercity with Jaina. couple ppl, not sure if true, claim Alliance version of Icc is cannon, while Bolvar becomes Lich King.

Point.. alliance

Cata: so much development for everyone, just gonna say even(cept the 2 elven leaders, baine and velen)

Mop: WAR BABY!! then 5.1 Horde starts falling apart, while the alliance comes together. 5.2 Lorethemar/jaina agree to focus on Garrosh. 5.3 The small Horde Rebel army and the small Alliance army being preparations to kill lots and lots of Orcs, Horde will get more screen time.

point... so far horde... ohnoes...

See it can be done both ways ;p

Horde players are also whining about the lore, heck, this forum was a Horde shitfest when the news of Garrosh killing Cairne spilled out. Horde players can also whine, but I agree that there's way more Alliance players who complain about "Blizzard loves the Horde the most!" and bullshit like that. Some people always want the bigger slice of the pizza, even if everything was done equal in terms of story there'd be complaining from both sides, because their faction isn't doing better than the other one in lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    The good ... what. No. What?

Deleted
    Well all the crying of bias by the alliance players has to have some reason, no?

See, I will give you The most glaring and obvious example: The Worgen Story for worgen players. They complete gilneas, kill the bad gilnean lords and at the end of it they get a new enemy to fight, the forsaken, and a new cause, to fight for the alliance. And what do they do? Do they fight them around silverpine and the next zone as they boodly well should? No, they don't! They weazle out to go to the bloody Darnassus! Playing with elves and trees!! Ferocity of the worgen, HAH, my rumpy! it's never displayed. They could have done it by showing that ferocity in action against the forsaken, and Still tough, Forsaken players get to experience the rest of the battle, fighting worgen! Silverpine and the next zone (forgot it's name) Could be so much more interesting.

But, you see? They fleshed out the horde questlines, complete with Sylvanas kicking ass around and "Didn't have time for the alliance one", poor lazy bastards. And what about Genn Greymane? Has he done anything from Cata to this day? NOPE. Gallywix at least has his own place in azshara...
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2013-04-10 at 07:36 PM.

come back in 6 months and let us know if you still think the grass is greener . i guarantee you it isn't... its the SAME ppl playing both factions THE SAME PPL

Just try both sides, kids are on both sides anyway

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ray314 View Post
    Just try both sides, kids are on both sides anyway
    No, kids are ALWAYS on the side the person is currently on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just paid the $30 last night to bring my Rogue over to the horde. Fun times hitting the BGs I'd forgotten what it was like to win in PvP.

Deleted
    Weve always been the good guys, helping those in need no matter what.
    Well, not always. End of Warcraft 3 and beginning of WoW saw lots of Alliance aggression while the Horde kept to themselves. And Varian restarted the war in WotLk. Those are two instances of Alliance being the bad guys, the aggressors.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The communities are really the same on both sides. Really seems like a silly reason to change factions to me.

The "QQ" should go down since the reveal in the PTR seeing McSully and Amber's little chat stating that were using the Darkspear rebellion as a tool and that we need to gain Vol'Jin's trust to start "using" the Darkspear. The Alliance player has the choice to ask why should we help you and Vol'jin gives a facetious reason stating that the Alliance doesn't need to help. Vol'jin never stated that his rebellion can take him down, he probably doesn't want to deal with a lot of bullsheet when hes trying oust a Tyrannt. Vol'jin also states that one day maybe they can be friends....So you know.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    And Varian restarted the war in WotLk.
    He wanted to after the whole wrathgate thing, but I don't think anything actually came of it. The Alliance and Horde worked together (tenuously) for that entire expansion. Did the events of WotLK start a battle in the novels that I didn't read?

Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    He wanted to after the whole wrathgate thing, but I don't think anything actually came of it. The Alliance and Horde worked together (tenuously) for that entire expansion. Did the events of WotLK start a battle in the novels that I didn't read?
    After the Wrathgate Horde and Alliance were at war for a time, they signed a treaty shortly afterwards, which was broken by Garrosh and his invasion of Ashenvale.

Deleted
    The sad fact of the matter is for whatever reason the grass is greener on the horde side. I was alliance from vanilla right through to cataclysm before my guild went horde and I followed. I just could not believe the difference in quality of horde players. Sure they still have the childish idiots/eliteist prigs but they are very few and far between. This especially shows in LFG and LFR. I have 11 90's on my realm, 10 horde and 1 alliance. I keep the alliance toon so I can play with old friends who didn't go horde with the guild. Ive stopped trying to gear the alliance warrior with LFR/LFG because frankly id rather claw my eyes out then deal with the mouth breathing idiots who spend so much time cussing at each other in chat that a 10 min dungeon lasts for over an hour!

You just don't get that on horde side with our battlegroup. Granted most lfg/lfr are completed in complete silence. But they are completed and without spending all day on them.

My missus cant use her right hand because of some problems she had and she was close to quitting because every time she made a mistake in dungeons on her alliance hunter she got her head chewed off and some real nasty comments thrown her way. We levelled up two toons together (me tanking her dpsing) and had no problems atall. Shes now working on her 5th horde toon and playing through on her own. Occasionally she messes up by standing in something she shouldn't or not switching targets fast enough. But most groups understand we all feck up now and then and on the rare occasion shes broached the subject of her disability to the group she has received very positive reinforcement.

I know luck plays a factor in these things but since switching to horde the game has been better and a LOT friendlier.

That's garbage. Alliance have gotten absolutely nothing but jokes in Cataclysm. Especially of note was that Thrall was the 'hero' we (as Alliance) followed, but as if that wasn't bad enough, we have Vol'jin leading us to victory in 4.1. He's a Horde racial leader, and we had an extremely better Alliance themed option: Danath Trollbane. The 5.1 quest chain almost entirely simply followed around Garrosh and friends trying to spy on them and undermine them, instead of simply having a seperate story on those sections. Purge of Dalaran was their saving grace, but Horde got that as well so it's not saying much. And now in 5.3, are we doing Alliance-centric stories? No, we're helping Vol'jin with the Horde Rebellion once again, fighting the current Horde warchief. What an absolute joke.

I am rightfully upset about this, to the extent that I've lost interest in the story and have cancelled my account. Pandaria had a lot of potential and it was looking up to becoming quite epic with Alliance racial and character development, but it's obvious as daylight Blizzard doesn't care. I've waited nearly two full expansions, I am done waiting. If they don't get their act together by the end of this expansion, I will not be coming back. Even if I was Horde mained, I would still feel the same -- it's awful story telling. Still, 5.4 has the potential to turn this around. We'll see.

PS: Please go Horde. I won't miss you, and I hate to be presumptuous but I doubt anyone in the Alliance will miss you, either, besides personal friends (provided you even have any). I mean this just as respectfully to you as your thread title is to 'us' (an assumption on my part, I don't presume to know how/what others think).

PPS: I want to emphasize that this reply is only a fraction of the size it could have (should have?) been. I didn't go into detail on Cataclysm, on the various Alliance race development (gnome, draenei, and worgen especially), and the presence of Alliance racial leaders. The only good thing about 5.3 is that they are finally nodding towards the massive amount of potential dwarven political drama to draw from, but they appear to be entirely wasting its potential by ending it early on a simple scenario. Again, we'll see.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2013-04-11 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added PPS, fixed typo