Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I would recommend staying as far away as you can, I was a lil older than you when I started, 14 I think, and even though I help school with decent ish grades, I could of left with straight A's if I didn't spend as much time on wow as I did,

Bottom line, you will get addicted
    It's true. Had he studied and payed more attention in school he would have said "I could have or could've left with straight A's"

As far as advice goes, I would say you seem to sound like someone that has a basic understanding of the consequences of bad decision making, so I think you might be fine figuring this one out on your own.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chillhardy View Post
    im 13 and my parents said I could pay by helping out around the yard and the house, but I don't know if it is worth it for me because I am busy with sports and school and I don't know if ill not be able to play as much as I want but I just need a recommendation or some feedback saying if I should or not.

thanks,
    Chill
    It sounds like your parents are just trying to teach you that to get perks in life, such as access to a pay for play game, you have to work to earn the money to do so. A little hard work never killed anyone and at 13, you should be doing things around the house and yard just to help out for all the things your parents already do and provide for you, such as food, and transportation, and other things such as sports equipment and all that kind of stuff. That stuff doesn't come cheap, so help them out at least to show your appreciation for what they have given you.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayn View Post
    Calm down, little man, we don't need keyboard warriors
    well /clap if thats the best you can come up with because you were in the wrong for miss reading / judging what I said, just leave with your tail between your legs fool,

Anyways yea opinion hasn't changed in the last 5 mins, sub to wow, one way or another its going to affect your life, just stay away

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    It's true. Had he studied and payed more attention in school he would have said "I could have or could've left with straight A's"

As far as advice goes, I would say you seem to sound like someone that has a basic understanding of the consequences of bad decision making, so I think you might be fine figuring this one out on your own.
    You really picking at grammar at this time of night, on a gaming forum?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah give it a shot and see if you like it. If you have even average self control you will be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chillhardy View Post
    im 13 and my parents said I could pay by helping out around the yard and the house, but I don't know if it is worth it for me because I am busy with sports and school and I don't know if ill not be able to play as much as I want but I just need a recommendation or some feedback saying if I should or not.

thanks,
    Chill
    Do what you think is best. Try a trial of WoW and go from there.

If you like it enough, sub up and play away. If not, then go do other things. I myself am able to balance life, WoW, GW2, Allods, and other games/movies/tv/events just fine. But not everyone can do that, so it's a personal thing.

So again, do what YOU think is best for YOU!

There's lots of MMOs with no sub fees these days.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...pe/sOrder/desc
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

There is a blood elf pally waiting for you at the creation screen then at blood elf death knight waiting for you at 55 you should probably try to get a name like arthastwo or deathlichnight. Also sports will get you nowhere in life just saiyan.

Our advices doesn't matter. What matters is what you want. I got WoW when I was around 15 years old, and I enjoyed it so much, it's part of my life and I don't regret spending time in there.

What you do is what you do, nothing is going to change that. To me you sound like a great kid who has alot of interests and you should try if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    They're your family. You should be helping around the house and the yard regardless.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why this response didn't come up sooner. Maybe its because I'm in my 20s and my 16 year old brother is a petulant little twit who grits his teeth at the bare mention of housework, but this mentality is really infuriating to me.

You're 13. When I was 13, I was doing these chores for 5 dollars pocket cash to take my bike to the arcade with my friends.

And yes, arcades existed when I was a teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    There is a blood elf pally waiting for you at the creation screen then at blood elf death knight waiting for you at 55 you should probably try to get a name like arthastwo or deathlichnight. Also sports will get you nowhere in life just saiyan.
    Sports gets you a lot of places in life, like being in good shape and healthy. It's not fun to be out of shape and everything else in life is worse when you are.

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure why this response didn't come up sooner. Maybe its because I'm in my 20s and my 16 year old brother is a petulant little twit who grits his teeth at the bare mention of housework, but this mentality is really infuriating to me.

You're 13. When I was 13, I was doing these chores for 5 dollars pocket cash to take my bike to the arcade with my friends.

And yes, arcades existed when I was a teenager.
    Arcades still exist in a lot of places, but I loved playing this weird tank game about 12 or so years ago where the whole chair would move when you fired the tank cannon at other players. It was like $2 a game at the time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Sports gets you a lot of places in life, like being in good shape and healthy. It's not fun to be out of shape and everything else in life is worse when you are.
    It is all a matter of opinion maybe somebody would get more enjoyment out of life then being one of those yolo cod douchers.

Focus on sports and outdoor activities but also help your parents out as much as you can. You shouldn't have to be paid to feel like helping them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's up to you kid.Word of advise though if you have an addictive personality stay the hell away from it.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    At your age it's not really worth it. No one will want to play with you since you are under 18.

You have to think about the total cost. $180 a year buys a lot of games on Steam and you don't suddenly lose access if you can't pay the sub fee.
    Not really, if you're actually mature and don't flame people in chat all the time, no one is going to know your real age. I played at 15 and people assumed I was 30-40. How you act is the biggest influence on how old people think you are. Only time you're screwed is if you have to talk and you have a squeaker voice.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Not really, if you're actually mature and don't flame people in chat all the time, no one is going to know your real age. I played at 15 and people assumed I was 30-40. How you act is the biggest influence on how old people think you are. Only time you're screwed is if you have to talk and you have a squeaker voice.
    Blessing in disguise. Roll a female character and watch the help offers roll in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Seconded. If you liked the trial, you should sub for a month. If you like it, stay. If not, enjoy another MMO.
    I never liked the trial for WoW, still don't. It took a friend to convince me to buy it and play through to around lvl 50 before I started loving the game. Lvl20 is really not enough to show you anything the game has to offer. Outlands was amazing, I started playing in BC and I'm real big on visiting other planets and such so that was a major draw. Dat first time I saw the portal... lemme tell ya it was a nerdgasm ;p

I think they should have a much longer trial with very restrictive features, but allowing you to level all the way. Meh, plenty of games do it and its been years. Or even rather have an unrestricted access trial but with a time limit, like 48h.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-04-11 at 01:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I never liked the trial for WoW, still don't. It took a friend to convince me to buy it and play through to around lvl 50 before I started loving the game. Lvl20 is really not enough to show you anything the game has to offer. Outlands was amazing, I started playing in BC and I'm real big on visiting other planets and such so that was a major draw. Dat first time I saw the portal... lemme tell ya it was a nerdgasm ;p

I think they should have a much longer trial with very restrictive features, but allowing you to level all the way. Meh, plenty of games do it and its been years. Or even rather have an unrestricted access trial but with a time limit, like 48h.
    Dunno, I instantly loved the trial and bought the game the next day, so did my friend. We only played until like level 5 as well and we were already sold. That was years ago as well, nowadays there's random bg's and dungeon finder with the trial so you get a bigger taste of what the game is about (albeit not a big one but something at least). You do level really quick nowadays so maybe increasing to level 30 or so would be an idea, I wouldn't say all the way, though. I will agree Outland is awesome to go to and seeing the portal is really something.
    For me it gave me something to look forward to as I heard a bit about what Outland was like and had previously seen the portal and it made me want to go there instantly. I was enjoying the game so much just from normal leveling, though, Outland was just the reward at the end. Such an experience :>

WoW actually got me through the final leg of High School;
    I did my studies while farming and then went and did my raids and stuff after my work was done. I was playing casually at the time and had no schedule for raids.
    Not sure why people are so adamant about the whole "focus on school thing" when sports detracts from it as well. Bias.

People who get addicted to these games will find another distraction.

I'd try the free trial and see what you think. You can play everything for free until level 20.

Be careful, though. WoW can be very time consuming and potentially addicting. It's important to play in moderation. If you think it will conflict with school or sports I would recommend staying away for now. It really depends on how much self-control and discipline you have.