Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rogue Energy Regen

There are a lot of problems with rogues but by far the most annoying in my opinion is the energy regeneration. I play a sub rogue, and even with SnD rolling energy still seems really slow. I hate how just to be at our peak we have to have SnD up and rupture/garrote for the 20% damage increase. It just takes too long to get all of them up when you need them and keep track of them especially when switching targets. Also since all I do is pvp i have to keep recuperate up as well for healing purposes. In my opinion i think SnD should just be removed from the game and rogues passive energy regen should be increased and all rogue attacks should have a chance to give back some energy, haste should be increased to make up for loss of SnD. I know a lot of people will be against this because SnD has been in the game forever but since MoP has come out i feel energy starved all the time, and on the 5.3 ptr it seems even more slow even if its not i don't know. I'm just expressing my opinion, something should be done about combo point management and energy regeneration, it makes rogues frustrating to play and takes away from the fun i used to have on my rogue. I'm not saying that rogues need to be buffed a lot, I certainly don't want to faceroll over everything like rogues were in Cata, but I would like to feel on par with other classes without the frustrating difficulty of energy starvation.

I will post some weakauras later that make tracking stuff super easy- I originally got them on this forum, after all.

I disagree with your assessment that slice and dice should be removed.

I also disagree with your inability to paragraph out yo' shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does SnD actually increase Energy Regen? I thought only +haste grants quicker regen.

Either way:
    Rogues were always energy starved while on target because turns out people can push 1,1,1,1,2 pretty fast and pretty often.

btw: I don't think SnD should be removed either. Keeping two things up in PvE is not really that complicated and PvP well it's PvP not raiding so sometimes you have to prioritize over which finisher to keep up.
    Last edited by Yutani; 2013-04-11 at 12:17 AM.

One thing for sure, removing slice and dice would open up the way for a more active damage based dps distribution which in my opinion would be a good thing for rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutani View Post
    Does SnD actually increase Energy Regen? I thought only +haste grants quicker regen.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=79152

10+ Year Old Account
    What....

I'm a feral and..

Our energy regen is absolute shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

Quote Originally Posted by Robles View Post
    What....

I'm a feral and..

Don't you have omen of clarity and tiger's fury?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robles View Post
    What....

I'm a feral and..

i always think energy regen on my rogue is shit, until i play my feral :P

For me our regen is fine at the moment. I am Assass and dont stack Haste but it is ok.

To be honest, it is all about damage. I would rather have to wait for energy and do sick damage than spam like hell and do average damage.

I like where rogues are ATM. I like that I don't have tons of energy. I like having to maintain slice and dice. Balancing out your energy, combo points, and buffs/debuffs force decision points during gameplay and make the game fun. Yes we rely heavily on passive damage, but the fun of the rogue playstyle is being able maximize your passive damage through proper planning. I cant speak for every other class, but I find warriors, DK's, pallies, ele/enh shamans to be very boring (Ret pally is BY FAR the most boring dps class out of the ones I listed). How godawfull boring would it be to have limitless resources with zero buffs/debuffs to maintain and all of your damage coming from a straight CP builder to finisher setup?

Deleted
    Can't remember what game but in that game energy regen was super high the more energy we had pooled and decreased as we spent energy.
    Pretty cool as in pve we could have a pretty spammy rotation and in pvp we could either keep good sustained damage or risk it all with a huge burst that spent all energy and shot energy regeneration to hell. Nice risk vs reward system.

Back on point, i agree, remove slice and dice and make recuperate a clickable cooldown.

Deleted
    I also agree with the slice and dice removal. I want my rotation to be more active damage rather than relying on passive bleed effects/haste/poison.

Deleted
    Yes, also all the passive damage a rogue has, makes the skill gap between a good raiding rogue and a bad rogue much smaller. You can't do that much wrong with passive damage.
    As a fury warrior for example the gap between good and bad is much much bigger. They rely heavily on there damage from abilities and good usage of all the small CDs.
    I wish a rogue would rely more on ability damage, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every expansion rogue's energy regen is crap till the last teir, where our haste is very high and we are energy capping. then we all complain about energy capping. Assassination was so slow t14 but i seen it go up some. For assassin for max energy regen rupture as many targets as soon as you can up's the regen.

For sub i never noticed a problem

Why not just "bake in" SnD into the normal Rogue mechanics, rather than make it an ability that needs activating, when it's literally ALWAYS required to be kept up constantly?
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Why not just "bake in" SnD into the normal Rogue mechanics, rather than make it an ability that needs activating, when it's literally ALWAYS required to be kept up constantly?
    Because that would leave us with even less things to do as combat/assassination.

I agree that Slice and Dice is a boring and maintenancy spell, but before removing it we'd need something in its place to keep our rotation even remotely interesting.

Go for monk, we aren't energy starved for most of the time and we rely on abilities to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Go for monk, we aren't energy starved for most of the time and we rely on abilities to do damage.
    Monks are this expansions version of DK's back in Wrath.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Energy regeneration for rogues is fine with 1 exception: combat during AR.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrost View Post
    Every expansion rogue's energy regen is crap till the last teir, where our haste is very high and we are energy capping. then we all complain about energy capping. Assassination was so slow t14 but i seen it go up some. For assassin for max energy regen rupture as many targets as soon as you can up's the regen.

For sub i never noticed a problem
    The reason you never noticed the problem as Sub is because (and only because) of Honor Among Thieves. Sub's base energy regen isn't great, and SND's Energetic Recovery basically acts like Mut's Venomous Wounds (except without added damage), but HAT means your CP generation is WAY better than the other specs.

As to "Rogue's energy regen is crap till the last tier":

I've been playing Combat this week since I got REALLY lucky with my rolls (got a thunder-forged 2.4 mace, Normal Rune, Heroic Soul Charm, and a bunch of gear I don't have use for yet JUST on rolls) and I got the heroic shared-loot fist weapon. Here's what I've found.
    10k Haste puts you close to GCD levels during a Rune proc, and you can get to this pretty easily at 515 ilvl. 12k Haste puts you at GCD levels (522 Tier should get you close), and 14k Haste (attainable by the end of this tier, I guarantee you) will put you at Dragon Soul's "spam at all times" levels.

The correct phrase you should have been looking for is "Rogue's energy regen will be difficult to manage by next tier".
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue