Deleted

Heroic ToT progression: DK tank vs. feral tank

I'm getting more and more frustrated by Horridon, which is a big cockblock for us (16/16H months before 5.2) and our MT quit on Tuesday. The other tank offered to switch from his DK tank to a low equipped feral tank, GM/RL agreed for whatever reason. This adds up.... we already had to equip newcomers and other rerollers (including the MT who quit (Warrior 520 ilvl), who switched from a 517 Prot Pala).... and our GM re-rerolling from his resto druid back to his warrior tank...

Ahh... well, I'm confused myself. To quickly end this DK tank to feral tank reroll befor it actually happens, I'd like some more information on how these two classes perform in ToT heroic progression.

Deleted
    what..?
    A dk tank is basically ALWAYS better than a druid tank. Maybe not on AoE dps. Dk's can chose how to reduce damage. Druid tanks are dodge tank and can therefore be quite un-fun to heal. Also a dk tank brings army of the dead and deathgrips and/or stun(s). That makes them far superior on horridon. That being said, dk's are the second worst tank for horridon.

I don't see why anyone would take a druid tank over a dk tank. Unless your setup is so messed up that you dont have 5% crit, stats or a leather agi user.

That being said, druid tanks are by no means bad. They are just worse than dk's on most situations. You can still get by with a druid tank (not feral tank, feral is a dps spec).

Deleted
    We've a WW Monk. I need some strong arguments to stop him from rerolling..

What about the last phase on Horridon H, after you killed Jalak he enrages. On our best tries we wiped there, because tanks getting one shotted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    what..?
    A dk tank is basically ALWAYS better than a druid tank. Maybe not on AoE dps. Dk's can chose how to reduce damage. Druid tanks are dodge tank and can therefore be quite un-fun to heal. Also a dk tank brings army of the dead and deathgrips and/or stun(s). That makes them far superior on horridon. That being said, dk's are the second worst tank for horridon.

I don't see why anyone would take a druid tank over a dk tank. Unless your setup is so messed up that you dont have 5% crit, stats or a leather agi user.

That being said, druid tanks are by no means bad. They are just worse than dk's on most situations. You can still get by with a druid tank (not feral tank, feral is a dps spec).
    opinion, not fact

Deleted
    I'd say it's all about where your hands coming from, rather than what class to have tanking. We are 8/13 at the moment with a druid tank and it wasn't him who was holding down the progression, but raid's gear level overall since we finished t14 a bit too late to farm enough gear.

Horridon adds, Tortos bats, Megaera, Primordius zerg tactics were done with druid tank. The second tank is prot paladin though.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both classes are strong and can tank heroic bosses. So long as the person playing the tank is a skilled one.

DK tank > feral
    since feral is cat spec

Deleted
    What I was saying with my paragraph was that in the hands of a player who is just as skilled with both classes, death knights have the superior tanking capabilities. It is true, druids have some nice utility that dk's don't have. To name some: Stampeding Roar, tranquility and HotW for healing or dps.
    opinion, not fact
    No. I might be overstating the importance of some stuff, but for most fights DK´s are better - if you have enough utility in your raid setup for that fight.
    Guardian tanks have very few fights where they are better than others.
    Horridon is not one. Don't dodge one of horridons melee hits when he is using tripple punkture? Dead bear. A dk can use two deathstrikes during the double swipe and definitely not be one shot. Druid tanks do not have that ability. The amount of cooldowns they have is also very limited (Read: tanking cooldowns).

Both classes are strong and can tank heroic bosses. So long as the person playing the tank is a skilled one.
    This is true. The importance of which tanking class is very diminished if the person really is good and puts in effort. A Guardian druid is certainly good enough for all fights. It is not as optimal as the other choices. It just has very few situations where you'd chose a druid over another tank if the skill and gear level is the same.
    Your tank is wasting raid gear by doing a switch like that. Chances are he won't be mastering using his rage immedeately either. This will cause you trouble on horridon.
    Horridon adds, Tortos bats, Megaera, Primordius zerg tactics were done with druid tank. The second tank is prot paladin though.
    All this is possible on a druid, yes. They just need to be really good. Other tanks can just do that much more easily.
    Tortos bats for example... getting below 350k hp or whatever it is on heroic is very likely should you drop savage defence for a sec (you shouln't) or if 4 bats just decide to not be dodged suddely.

Going with a druid tank is fine, but they will be the tank that does the "easy" job. Tanking tortos himself for example, (normal at least) and not the bats. If you do not have a paladin or something to do the hard job, you will have a lot more trouble. Fact is, druids can be taking a ton of damage at once because of pure RNG. Generally as a raiding guild, you want to minimize rng in your tactiks. Having healed a lot myself I can say, that smooth damage intake is much more easy to heal.

How many other Agi Leather users do you have? If it's just the WW monk, the Druid tank would probably be fine on gear. If there's also a Rogue, I'd favor the DK.

If you are looking for people to say "Druid tanks are no good for progression" that is just flat out wrong. Paragon uses a Druid tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleti View Post
    How many other Agi Leather users do you have? If it's just the WW monk, the Druid tank would probably be fine on gear. If there's also a Rogue, I'd favor the DK.

If you are looking for people to say "Druid tanks are no good for progression" that is just flat out wrong. Paragon uses a Druid tank.
    Rerolling to druid might be fine during the transition of a tier and the next one. When all content is cleared. A lot of gear is wasted if there are no other people who need leather agi besides the ww monk. But is wasting the amount of ilvl between the dk and the druid worth it?

I solo tanked 10H council as guardian. Paragon used a paladin/guardian combo for all of their world first progression. Sooooooooo . . . yeah.

In other words: Play what you enjoy. Play what your raid needs. Play what you excel at.

And have fun.

It would help to know if you're doing 25m or 10m raiding.

Druid tanks are very powerful in 10m setups, but from what I hear they take too much damage on 25m.

So if you're doing 25m, you probably want to go with a DK. If you're doing 10m though, a druid tank would probably add more to the raid.

The big problem with guardians is that they have no way to consistently reduce incoming damage with their active mitigation. While I appreciate that they have a decent array of cooldowns, if your active mitigation cannot help you survive million damage special attacks, then you are a liability when it comes to several heroic encounters.

While it's certainly possible for a guardian to tank most things, they are often relegated to the offtank position and will probably die more than other tanks in the process. Speaking as a 25m raider who upon finding out he was tanking for the next tier, I dropped my druid and picked up my alt monk without looking back. After experiencing every fight this tier, I thank the officers that allowed the switch because there is NO way I could have tanked anywhere near as well and survived near as much on my druid compared to my monk.

From a 25m perspective, druids are the single worst tanks in this tier by a vast chasm. While it's less apparent in 10man because damage values are lower, I still believe druids need a ton of help to bring them up to par with the other tanks.

Ive always believed that skill is what matters when it comes to tanking. Supposedly a Prot Paladin is the best tank to have at the moment yet we are 10/13H 10M and use a Prot Warrior/Blood DK combo. We have had zero issues downing bosses. Both our tanks are extremely skilled at their class (especially the Blood DK). They pull great numbers, have amazing awareness and excel our expectations. So tbh it comes down to skill. Use a DK Tank or Feral Tank.