Thread: New Player Here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I still think they were great, I just think the rep you gain from doing them needs to be about double what it was. If it had been, I would have been happy with them, loved them, got my rep and carried on.
    That and probably more variety. One complaint I hear a lot is most of the hunt rifts are basically the exact same thing. I still find them fun but that is because I donlt grind them and only do them once in a while. I am mostly a solo player I don't see the need to really grind for rep or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Seem Trion did the Everquest 2 thing. Where in order to keep the small player base "busy" they created a lot of arbitrarily long rep grinds and/or drawn out quests at max level.

It's not too bad a strat for those long time fans of the game(s). Give them something to grind that takes a while and they will pay for the game time to do it.

Eventually it'll collapse as that pool of players willing to pay a sub for the privilege to grind content dwindles over time; EQ2, War, Vanguard, FF11, Mortal, etc.

Really don't think this is sustainable in a major way when the new MMO market has shifted so drastically.
    Is the grind worse then the MoP daily rep grind?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I still think they were great, I just think the rep you gain from doing them needs to be about double what it was. If it had been, I would have been happy with them, loved them, got my rep and carried on.
    And that's really the crux of the problem. Artificially extending content beyond its worth. It really just shows that all these companies need to pick it up a notch in their development cycle. Blizzard learned that lesson, though people dont particularly like dailies as the way to go about it. Any feature gets pretty lame when it forces you to repeat it for too long. Having rep gains so low is probably the #1 reason content in SL has gotten stale in the blink of an eye.

Ideally we should have had Dendrome about 1-1.5 months ago, which added many avenues of rep progression for both major factions on top of possibly adding a new faction and new style of gameplay. That could have probably coasted at least 6 months.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Yes, it is. It's terrible. I tried to defend it once, then I leveled a second character.

I eventually paid a young relative to sit and do it for me. I would pay him to grind rep too if I thought I'd still be playing it in a year when my sub runs out. If they pick up the ball again, I may still do so, but at the moment it seems to not be the case.

The 50~60 isn't the worst part. It's the rep grind and lack of "new" things to do after.

Fencers is right - They don't have content, so they fill it with grind. It will implode on them if they don't pull their finger out their arses and start putting out more content. Hunt Rifts, Onslaughts are boring after the first 50.

That carnival event was a friggin joke. By all accounts, even their PR department are clueless - not even issuing any damage-control statements when people started leaving /were let go.

I would be tempted to be playing WoW right now if it wasn't for the god awful graphics engine that I can't bear to look at.

My concern about 2.3 is that it will be another 6 months before we see another big content patch and will just see re-used events. They're obviously trying to fill it with enough content to make it bigger than WoW's latest patch.
    Eh was just stating my opinion. I think people make the 50-60 worse then it really needs to be by trying to grind it out as fast as possible then of course get burned out. However if you read my whole post you will note that I did say that questing and carnage questing does need to give more exp. So in other words I do think 50-60 should be shorter.

I think a big part of the problem heck probably the root of the problem is they let go of a ton of people. They are trying to do things now I think with a fraction of the team they had last year. So we do have to remember that and realize that sadly our expectations will probably have to lower to be realistic. However yeah I agree the carnival sucked and there is no excuse for how bad it was. At the very least when they hotfixed the amount of tickets each game gave they could have increased the amount more then they did. I also agree some sort of statement should have been issued about the layoffs and people leaving.

I doubt it will be 6 monthes before 2.3 or are you saying 6 months after 2.3 before we get any new content? I think 2.3 will come in the next couple of months. Like I said before they really need to start talking about it more. Get some excitement going! I know I got excited with one of the interviews lately when we first heard of strongholds and I know every little big of info about 2.3 gets me more excited. However the silence is not exciting and while I am not feeling as negative about the game as some of you clearly are I am not really excited about it anymore either.

As for going back to WoW. You know I have thought about that since my husband plays that but won't play Rift *yeah that sucks lol* But I couldn't even get to 90 before being bored out of my mind. And the leveling in WoW is WAY quicker then 50-60 in Rift right now. At end game I think I would have even less to look forward to then I do in Rift especially given that I am a solo player. Though to be fair Rift isn't the best game for a solo player that does no dungeons or raids either. WoW does seem to be finally stepping up their game however I think it is about time. I wish I could get into it again but I couldn't even last a couple weeks the last time. But to be honest its not like Rift is really exciting anymore either. Come on 2.3! *sighes*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    It doesn't take very long to reach exalted with just about any faction, especially with all of the updates on how you can gain rep...including the account wide increase in gains when you hit revered.

Complaining about rep grinds in MoP versus Rift is like complaining that it's hot because it's 60 degrees outside to someone who lives inside a volcano.
    BAD WOLF

You know I am curious about this too. People have been complaining a lot about the grind in Rift even comparing it to Korean mmos *which is funny really its not NEAR that bad* But is it better or worse? I never got to level 90 in WoW and part of the reason other then being bored out of my mind is that apparently from what I read much of what I had to look forward to is doing the same daily quests over and over again. Which is part of the reason I take my time with Rift because being a non raider its not like I have much to look forward to there either. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It doesn't take very long to reach exalted with just about any faction, especially with all of the updates on how you can gain rep...including the account wide increase in gains when you hit revered.

Complaining about rep grinds in MoP versus Rift is like complaining that it's hot because it's 60 degrees outside to someone who lives inside a volcano.
    Im aware that the MoP rep grind isnt as mandatory, but thats not what i asked. Is the rep grind in sl worse then your first character in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im aware that the MoP rep grind isnt as mandatory, but thats not what i asked. Is the rep grind in sl worse then your first character in MoP.
    I'm aware that's not what you asked, which is why I didn't answer that question? Please reread and then try again. If you can show me where I said anything about whether it is mandatory or not, I'll give you a million dollars.

Yes, it is 100 times worse than MoP considering that you don't have as many options, it takes way, way longer, and is much less fun in the process.
    BAD WOLF

But once again to any new players here I would still encourage you all to give it a fair shot. Despite its problem I think over all its still a solid game. Many of us have just been playing for quite awhile and are just burned out and need more content. But for a new player there is still tons of content in this game. And who knows by the time you get to 60 maybe 2.3 will be out!

I will also say that compared to the beginning of SL things have improved. In the beginning there was no rep from dungeons no lesser runes I think daily quests might have given even less rep then they do now and I think there is one more thing I am forgetting. So it has improved they are trying they just need to add more variety to the content they do have. That brings up another potential concern of mine too. Adding new content like strongholds is great and all but they also still need to focus on improving what they already have. They have a good base it just needs more variety.
    Last edited by Calliso; 2013-04-12 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    But once again to any new players here I would still encourage you all to give it a fair shot. Despite its problem I think over all its still a solid game. Many of us have just been playing for quite awhile and are just burned out and need more content. But for a new player there is still tons of content in this game. And who knows by the time you get to 60 maybe 2.3 will be out!
    Agree. Worth it for the time you have it, though I will now advise against ever purchasing time in bulk from them no matter how attractive the price is.
    BAD WOLF

Agree. Worth it for the time you have it, though I will now advise against ever purchasing time in bulk from them no matter how attractive the price is.
    Yeah the year deal was great and all but I think with any game its not a good idea to pay for that long of a period all at once. I think to save money its best to get more then a month at a time, but probably best to keep it to a few months.. I don't regret getting the year deal but for me at least given that I tend to get burned out and need to take extended breaks it probably wasn't the best idea...

I will also say that compared to the beginning of SL things have improved. In the beginning there was no rep from dungeons no lesser runes I think daily quests might have given even less rep then they do now and I think there is one more thing I am forgetting. So it has improved they are trying they just need to add more variety to the content they do have. That brings up another potential concern of mine too. Adding new content like strongholds is great and all but they also still need to focus on improving what they already have. They have a good base it just needs more variety.
    Yes, please, do not take any of this as discouragement from trying it out. The leveling process is fresh and fun compared to other MMOs, there is a lot of fun stuff to do at max level as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aware that's not what you asked, which is why I didn't answer that question? Please reread and then try again. If you can show me where I said anything about whether it is mandatory or not, I'll give you a million dollars.

Yes, it is 100 times worse than MoP considering that you don't have as many options, it takes way, way longer, and is much less fun in the process.
    Strikes me as odd that you have that small group of rift players constantly hating on wow and saying mop is nothing but grind and dailys. Small group but still annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strikes me as odd that you have that small group of rift players constantly hating on wow and saying mop is nothing but grind and dailys. Small group but still annoying.
    As opposed to the large group of WoW players that needs to constantly bash Rift at every turn? Both groups are stupid. What's your point?

Personally I enjoy both games for different reasons, though I won't be playing either of them for a while if I can help it. The bottom line is if you are a casual player, or your focus isn't end game raiding, or you raid through LFR, you are not going to like Rift at max level possibly at all. It provides little beyond raiding other than a never ending grind.

It's a shame too, because the design of the game is simply phenomenal. There's a strong chance that the Dendrome patch will rectify all of these problems, but we'll just have to wait and see.
    BAD WOLF

No idea. Don't play World of Warcraft.

Actually, I did buy MOP. But my character is like level 12 and the free 30 days ran out. Hehe.

I'm very happy with Rift and I've gotten my moneys worth of entertainment from it. (thanks Fencers for promoting the game, I was really in need of something)
    But yeah, for us non-raiders there's not much to do after a while. Or rather, there's stuff to do but it gets repetitive and takes a pretty long time (even with the cross shard thingy). I'm personally mostly interested in getting decent gear and doing world events and some pvp, sometimes also solo old content.

3 upgrade stages for IS gear is a bit over the top imo, and lots of stuff are 'overpriced'.

I'm an altoholic and have all 4 callings at level 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh was just stating my opinion. I think people make the 50-60 worse then it really needs to be by trying to grind it out as fast as possible then of course get burned out.
    No problem mate. I was just stating mine.

Right now, I just don't feel like logging on any more. As Lathais said - it will be absolutely great for new players - the game has a lot of new, shiny things for them to do, but for people who can now see how much they re-use and market as "new content", they've completely dropped the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    I'm very happy with Rift and I've gotten my moneys worth of entertainment from it. (thanks Fencers for promoting the game, I was really in need of something)
    But yeah, for us non-raiders there's not much to do after a while. Or rather, there's stuff to do but it gets repetitive and takes a pretty long time (even with the cross shard thingy). I'm personally mostly interested in getting decent gear and doing world events and some pvp, sometimes also solo old content.

3 upgrade stages for IS gear is a bit over the top imo, and lots of stuff are 'overpriced'.

I'm an altoholic and have all 4 callings at level 60.
    Yeah prices are over the top still I think. I remember in chocolate Rift even feeling that some of that stuff was a bit too much. I understand they don't want to make it so that everyone can gear up super super fast at this point in time because that would probably just lead to more complaints of being bored and having nothing to do. However it seems to be the opposite way now where it takes so long to gear up you may get sick of it long before you are even finish especially if you are gearing up more then one character.